Does anyone here use Sibelius?

Does anyone here use Sibelius?

Hi everyone

A few years ago I got it into my head that I had to transcribe Mike McGoldrick and Kevin Crawford’s playing of Devil’s of Dublin on that Lunasa track. And so, using a prog called Sibelius, I did.

Painstakingly. Both parts. I was very keen back then.

Keen, but not so hot a flute player that I could actually play what I’d transcribed. Now, though, I think I might just be able to manage it, but here’s the rub… while I still have the Sibelius file I don’t have the actual program to open/print the damn thing.

So I was wondering if anyone here owned Sib, and could turn it into a printable jpg or gif or something and send it back to me? Happy to send a copy to anyone who wants it after that - just drop me an email via the site.

Btw, James Carty does a great version of Devils of Dublin on his new CD Upon My Soul which everyone must go buy now. Sofort!

we now return you to your regular programming
Matt

Posted by .

Re: Does anyone here use Sibelius?

I do have a strange itch

Posted by .

I have Sibelius, you can send it, I’d be happy to transfer for you

I guess you’d need my addy…
a_desroches@hotmail.com

I’m not alone!!! ~ but am considering a change to Finale…and more freedom…

Ceolachan, you don’t like Sibelius? I love it, I use it all the time. What is better in Finale? Don’t wanna be missing anything here…

‘c’ , I use Finale all the time and find it very user friendly but unfortunately it treats all tunes on the same page as the same piece of music. Have got over the problem with a bit of imagination but would love to find out if there is a way to get the programme to acknowledge seperate tunes on the same page. can anyone help here??

Posted by .

That’s the kind of user information I needed to hear. I only used Finale back in it’s early incarnations. Sometimes Sibelius drives me up a wall, and lately they have been more concerned with turning the programme into something other than just a notation cruncher.

Maybe we need to start another thread, discussing the virtues and damnations of notation programmes. I’ve worked with more than half a dozen, mostly disappointments. I’ve never found an ABC programme that I liked. Some of them were daft, the notations and the visuals were awful. At least with Sibelius or the older versions of Finale I’d use there was considerable flexibility, though sometimes I feel Sibelius is anything but flexible, my reason for thinking of a cross-grade to the lates Finale… But ~ …

Maybe not, the title to this thread isn’t a bad seed for launching such discussions…

Still running a Windows 3.1 music score pack, QSP, in XP, hey it works fine and never needs to be updated.

I can write/edit/print tunes or songs with lyrics

HAs anyone created or come across an ABC patch for Sibelius or Finale? I have been on both their cases to incorporate that in the programmes for Y - E - A - R - S… They add all kinds of other whistles but keep ignoring this, which should be a simple thing to do… I’m at the point where I’m wondering if I can’t learn the necessary code to do it myself…

You can convert ABCs to midi and then use Sibelius to create a score…but it doesn’t read ABCs directly…

There is a way to go from ABC to XML format. Finale will then import the XML file. IThe ABC->XML can be done using a simple DOS program that I got from Recordare’s web site some years ago. I do this all the time and it works fine as long as the ABC file is in good shape. Sometimes I have had to fix the ABC files with a text editor prior to translation.

I will see if I can find the translator and post a link if anyone is interested. Last time I looked on Recordare’s site they had reorganized the site and I could not find the ABC->XML translation program.

Euhhhh, this is for when this thread ges moved to a sibelius thread?
I have been using Sibelius for a few years now. I am still learning how to use it properly, and I just mean for writing out fiddle tunes and making up exercises for my students. Not writing up big scores. Everytime I think "I wish I could do that on Sibelius" I do a little research and find that it can be done. I would love to compare notes(pardon the pun) with other people using Sibelius for tune purposes or student exercise purposes….

What exactly does this Sibelius do?

Sibelius is a music notation program. You can use it to write out tunes and much much more. it will playback music that you’ve written, you can scan in music and scores and also import midi music to a score. Does that help?

I bought Sibelius, and it turns out that I don’t use it for ITM stuff. It’s great for large muti-instrumental works. Alas, my Symphony #1 (in D, of course) lays unfinished…

I’ve used a program called ScoreWriter for a long time, and it’s very good for our stuff. VERY easy to use, creates midis for group members to listen to if they don’t (yet) read. It used to be called MusicTime. And reasonably priced (50-60 US$ to download, I think).

Everything on our web site (http://home.comcast.net/~saustin98/lark/) was done with this thing. There are others just as good, probably, but this is worth a look. Google GenieSoft to find it. They have other, more expensive products too, but this is all you need.

(No, I don’t own stock in it…)

You can use that function in Sibelius as well, export file as a midi file. One drawback of Sibelius, it is very expensive. I use it for writing tunes that I post on my site: http://anastasiadesroches.com/
I hadn’t thought about putting the midi files, but I guess that would be a good idea… I see a whole lot of work in my future…….lol

On ScoreWriter, maybeI should add a couple of down-sides… The midis it creates play exactly like the score says, so of course it comes out very, well, computer-like. It does have an option to add swing, and that works almost perfectly for hornpipes (scored in 4/4), but it’s waaay too much for the slight swing you want in a reel.

There is a feature that will let you individually tweak the midi information for each note, but that’s far too tedious. It IS handy for adding a little backbeat, but I’d rather there were some feature to do this automagically.

Also, It doesn’t directly produce the JPGs we have on our site. That was done by doing a screen-print (in XP, it just goes to the paste buffer), and then you paste that into PaintBrush, trim off what you dfon’t want, and save that as a
JPG. But all that really takes less than a minute after you know the drill.

The reason I’m telling you all this is that although I do like this product, I’d love to know of something even better for our tunes. Maybe we DO need another thread for that…

Steve

Thanks everyone for the offers of help - Scorch seems to be doing the trick. It also seems to be crashing my mac, but I think I’ve found a way around that!

Personally, I was happiest with Cakewalk 3, but that was back in the dark ages!

Posted by .

Sibelius is also very good for working out arrangements and harmonies as it’s possible to hear a rough approximation of the arrangement without troubling 5 people to get together and actually play the piece. That said, its expensive and if you aren’t taught how to use it properly it can have some improbable oddities - I worked out how to use it myself and I still come upon things I just cannot work out how to get it to do, i.e. I still don’t know how to delete an instrument from a system…..very odd!!!

Q, if you still haven’t got it done (and its in Sibelius 2 format) feel free to lob it my way and I’ll send you back the midi files and a JPEG.

On having scores online, Sibelius does offer Scorch…and the quality is there…

I use Sibelius, and I am mostly very happy with it. I tried Finale a few times and never took the time to learn it, since Sibelius seems so much faster. I have done a few ITM tunes on it, but since I don’t have any Celtic Sample Libraries, the playback is out of my laptop’s GM soundset, which is not that great. I also write bigger pieces on it.