Cotter flutes

Cotter flutes

Hello everybody!

I would be very thankful if anyone could describe to me what its like playing on a Cotter flute, and what its NOT like, compared to different flutes. That would be very helpful, as I live outside Ireland and don’t have the possibility to try that many flutes out.

Now, though, I bumped into a Cotter (6-key, made in 2003) for sale, and I need to hear your pionts of view!

Thanks a lot….!

Posted by .

Re: Cotter flutes

If you’re physically near the flute, the only true test is to play it yourself and see what you think. If you don’t feel you’re experienced enough to judge, find someone who’s a better player and let them try it out.

Eric

I had a Eamonn Cotter flute, and I liked it. I sold it, though, to buy an old flute that was used on a (relatively) famous flute recording. My current flute is the headjoint of this older flute on a body made by Seth Gallagher.
My Cotter flute was a 6-key. The craftsmanship was excellent, and dealing with Eamonn was a pleasure. Very conscientious and prompt, and it was a good deal.
One problem I have with the previous comments by "Jayhawk", about trying the flute, is that a lot of times it’s hard to get a proper opinion after playing for a few minutes, or even a few hours or a week, or more….. I know some world class flute players who have trouble getting a good tone out of another persons flute that I know is good. Patrick Olwell’s flutes are very responsive, and most people can get a pretty good tone right out of the gate, but even then, it takes a while to get used to a flute. Particularly if you haven’t been playing a long time.
It took me a while to get used to my current flute, I would say months until I was really happy with the tone. Right now, I love it. A lot of people have commented on the tone, but they themselves try it and their tone isn’t very good, because they’re not used to it. I think if you buy a flute from a reputable maker, and by these I would mean:
-Eamonn Cotter, Sam Murray, Patrick Olwell, Seth Gallagher, Rod Cameron, Michael Copeland, Dave Copley, Michael Cronnolly, Michael Grinter, Hammy Hamilton, Marcus Hernon, Peter Noy, and Chris Wilkes. I know people who make a living (if you could call it that) that have played all of these flutes. These people, also, are never "sponsored", and generally have to wait a while for them like everyone else.
Anyway, if you buy one of these, there’s no guarantee that it will be the flute of your dreams or the best thing they’ve ever done, but you will adapt to it and almost certainly be happy with it. If you play one of the above makers for a few months and can’t get a good tone out of it, I wouldn’t necessarily fault the flute. I’ve heard people get a good tone out of a flute made from a bicycle pump. No joke.
Not to blather on, but Eamonn Cotter=good flutes!

Posted by .

I’ve got a cotter flute and I love it!

I picked up a flute that a friend of mine had of his and found it so easy to play I fell in love with it.

He is a pleasure to deal with and very honest about what he feels about his flutes. He told me he doesn’t make an eight keyed version because he’s never been happ with the bottom C and C# keys he’s come up with. Don’t be suprised if he doesn’t say to much if you phone him up. He seems to have a very simple approach to business which I liked and really respected.

His prices are excellent when you compare the going rate and his waiting list is really short compared to many makers. (Mine came in about 10 months).

The one I have is quite a big bore and It likes to be blown really hard. You can really blast into it and the flute can really take it with out the sound distorting and the Intonation I found very easy to get to grips with. The holes are cut really well, (a very iportant aspect of the instrument). The Key work is fine and reliable and he’ll give you a nice carry case to put the box in too.

I highly recommend him and his flutes.

The best thing to do is try and get your hands on a few and try them out.

Hope you find the flute you are looking for

at the moment i play a seery. but i have played a cotter flute before and i loved it! im going to get one soon. does anyone know does he make 8 keyed ones? 6 is all i need but im just curious