Anybody Know This Maker of Mandolins?

Re: Anybody Know This Maker of Mandolins?

Mmm , can’t say I know anything about this mandolin . . but if I was paying £100+ pounds, for "any" instrument, (unless it was a classic, well known instrument going for a bargain price), I would want to play and hear it first . . you could take a small risk and bid for it, it’ll probably sound OK, but . . ?

The mandolin he sells looks very similar to the flat top mandolin I have seen in Estonia made by Strunal. Strunal is a factory in the Czech Republic which makes fiddles, basses etc. Actually I think the factory does make all those instrument he is now selling under the label "The Celtic-Star". The decoration can be of his own design

I haven’t heard a bad word about Strunal which is an old factory what he also says about the manufaturer of these instruments. Take a look:

http://www.strunal.com

Posted by .

"The mandolin he sells…."

PS. I was referring to the normal flat top style mandolin type I he is selling also, not the Octave mandolin.

And for the record, Strunal does not make carved top mandolins, only flat tops.

Posted by .

Well, I reckon these are worth a second look. There are obviously a wide variety of mandolin-family instruments now being made in Europe, and these look a patch above the Rumanian "Ozark" instruments.
I couldn’t find any prices on the Strunal site, but I did fancy one of their "Portugese" mandolins.
Somebody please buy on of these Celtic Stars and report back.