Low notes on tin whistle?

Low notes on tin whistle?

Hello, all,

I have been fighting to get a clear, projecting low register on tin whistle for sometime, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice. I can

I come from a silver flute background, and have a tendency to blow every wind I play from the diaphragm. Do I need to be playing with lighter air pressure? Do I need to use more air pressure? Tighter/looser embrochure? I’m really perplexed.

I’m playing a Clarke conical bore, if that helps at all.

Thanks,
Anna

Re: Low notes on tin whistle?

It could be the whistle - do you have the same problem on more than one instrument?

Whistles are so fickle.

I’ve got a Clarke original with the wooden fipple and a Sweetone, both conical. They are different as night and day.

I’ve also got a Mellow Dog D that takes only a puff to blow up into the next octave, and when I get there I’m flat….

It probably is the whistle. You might want to try a different one. After hearing Shannon Heaton play her Burke narrow bore aluminum, I’m sold on it. The tuning was spot on and clear. But be prepared to pay a bill and a half for one.

Roger

you used to be able to "try before you buy" in music shops, but with whistles nowadays they’re usually pre-packaged (presumably for health and safety reasons), which is a bit of a git if you’re actually a musician and want to check you’ve got a good one before handing over the cash :-(

I’m pretty sure you can get clear low notes on the Susato whistles, which I play. But it’ll take you a while to get high notes on these ones. Michael Burke whistles are very good, but I find Tony Dixon whistles much cheaper, but still as good as Burke’s.

As Tony Blair never said, "Generation, Generation, Generation".
Cheap enough to buy another if you get a duff one, but 9 times out of 10, they’re fine! Low notes and all. Give it a good clean occasionally. My favourite one is now getting on for 30.

Good luck!

Max

Posted by .

Not quite 9 out of 10! An ex of mine, a school teacher, bought a box of 20 Generation Bb whistles for the kids in the class. Bb being easier on her ears than the D as they were learning!

Anway, 6 of those had to be brought back to the shop. I told her she should have tried them in the shop before she bought them but…. Of the the 6 replacement whistles (which again she didn’t try out in the shop) 2 of those then had to be brought back! Perhaps it was just a bad batch, but as you say Max, it still adds up to great value!

The Clarke originals can sometimes be problematic. While they have nice tone they are rarely in tune with themselves and the lower register can be weak.

Consider another instrument - best value for money whistles are the Syn made by Erle Bartlett in Oz. mailto:synwhistles@yahoo.com.au

You get four bodies - Bb, C, D and Eb with interchangeable head for a mere £41 including post and packing from Oz and usually delivered in about a week to 10 days.

For more pricey whistles the Burke and the Copeland are outstanding.

Whistles always are quieter on the lower notes, however, many whistles have big problems with the lowest 2 notes if they are badly set-up. There are ways of fixing this, but it’s usually better to just get a good whistle in the first place.

The SYN whistles made by Erle Bartlett have a standard head which can have bodies fitted for the keys: A, B , Bb, C, Db, D, Eb and E. The pricing for these works like this - $75 for the head and first body then $15 per body - so, for example a C/D set is $90, C/D/Eb is $105 etc. Cost of postage depends on where you are.

The bodies are matched to the set’s head and are unlikely to fit the head from another set. So, to add an extra body to an old set, one has to send Erle the head so he can match the new body.

Nice whistles.

Posted by .