The Kiss / The Gael - Last of the Mohicans

The Kiss / The Gael - Last of the Mohicans

Folks,

New to the list and not a musician. So, why I am here? My son is an aspiring fiddle player and he has been trying to find the lead sheet for the "The Kiss" off of the Last of the Mohicans movie CD. Apparently, it is based off "The Gael" by Dougie McLean. I’ve tried for a while to find the violin lead sheet for him, but to no avail (e.g., contacting Mr. McLean’s website).

Thought maybe someone here might have it or have some ideas on retrieving it. Its a pretty nice fiddle tune, so I am a bit surprised that it has been hard to find.

Thanks,

Bill

Re: The Kiss / The Gael - Last of the Mohicans

I’ll take care of that for you Bill. We probably won’t post it here either. It’s not a session piece but it is pretty. I’ll get some notes out to you if my email is going through OK.

Mark

We play the Gael at our session once in a while, along with several other Dougie MacLean tunes (The Kaimes, One Summer’s Morning). And there’s talk of playing it as part of a just-for-kicks-n-grins set of movie tunes.

If Mark has email problems, let me know. I can send the dots too.

Posted .

Mark/Will,

Thanks for the reply and the offer for the music. My son is seeking the movie version of The Gael (i.e., The Kiss) if that makes a difference. Mark indicated that "It’s not a session piece" and I was curious why that was the case? In other words, what makes it or doesn’t make it a session piece?

Many thanks,

Bill

Mark, in light of the recent saga on other threads, I’ll let you answer that one…..

:o)

Posted .

Actually - I’ll keep it simple by responding to my experience with this tune at the sessions. Bill - I actually pulled this out at a session and played it thorugh. I know when I put a winner out there. The tape recorders will come out people will ask me the name of the piece. Conversely, this tune inspired no conversation. I stopped and lowered my instrument. Someone shot into a set of reels immediately. In my opinion - the tune was tolerated and I never got a request to play it.

It doesn’t stop it from being a compelling good piece of music. It just wasn’t accepted at my session as a viable part of the tradition. Clear as mud?

I have been unable to group the piece into a tune category. Perhaps a jig or a slide might define it best. Perhaps as an aire. I believe the tune to have borderline or far fringe appeal to some Irish traditional musicans.

I’ll get you some notes pronto.

Mark

An excellent (and practical) method of testing a tune’s session-worth, Mark!

zls

Will - Take a peek please. Something(s) is off or over simplified. I’m not sure on the key either. Bill As soon as Will takes a peek we’ll get you the notes.

Mark

T:The Kiss
M:6/8
L:1/8
Q:200
K:D minor
~A,3 FED | EDC DCA,|~A,3 FED | EDC DCA,|
~C3 ~E3|G2E EDC|~C3 ~E3|G2E EDC|
~F3 FEF|G2 E EDC|~E3 EDE|G2 E EDC|
DED DCD|FED EDC|DED DCD|FED EDC|

I would call it D dorian—no sharps or flats. My setting is also slightly different:

T:The Gael
M:6/8
L:1/8
K:D dorian
|~A,3 FED|EDC DCG,|~A,3 FED|EDC DCA,|
|~C3 ~E3|GEE EDE|~C3 ~E3|GEE EDE|
|~F3 FEF|GFF FED|~E3 EDE|GEE EDC|
|D3 DCD|FED EDC|DED DCD|FED EDC|

To me, this is a good example of using the discussion threads to explore a tune that some people might feel does not fully belong in the tune archives here. I know Jeremy asks us not to post tunes in abc notation here, but it *is* okay to post tune fragments to talk about technique, etc. So I’m not sure why he has that prohibition on tunes, other than maybe to discourage people who would use these threads as though it were the tune section.

Hope this helps. I learnt the tune off the movie as it went by late one night. No luxury of a rewind button, and I was a bit distracted by the woman falling off the cliff….

Posted .

Ooops! Credit where credit is due. I should have included the C: field for composer: Dougie MacLean. And I’m pretty sure this tune is copyrighted.

Posted .

Will, You have corrected the parts I was concerned about. About the d dorian versus d minor. There are no B’s written into the music. The D dorian suggests that the ~A, is played with a B, natural on the top end of the roll. Am I wrong in believing the it should be a flat? Am I wrong in believing that it will impact the Key of the tune?

This never dawned on me until this particular post. I am getting good mileage out of this one already.

Well, Mark, I would use the C for the top note of the ~A,3 roll, no B’s at all. But I would use B natural for the bottom note of those ~C3 rolls, not Bb. Then again, I’ve been told by some top-tier fiddlers that the pitch of the cut notes in a roll doesn’t matter, and not to worry about it. I still do, tho, for example using a g natural as the bottom note of an ~a3 roll in Am. My ear tells me to, so I do it.

I based my key/mode choice on a quick play of the scale that I hear behind the tune, and I would keep the B’s natural if there were any in the tune. The Bb sounds weird to my ear against the melody. To be honest tho, I’ve never thought about what chords go behind it all. I’ve heard ‘em, smooth as silk on guitar, but I didn’t stop to think about what chords they were.

Posted .

I love that piece of music but i can see how it probably wouldn’t go down too well in some sessions. It always reminds me of the slip jig Jean Buttler used to dance to in Riverdance. It’s nothing like it i know but it has the same mood.
Mark or Will…..if it’s not too much trouble could you please send me a copy of the notes as well? I’d very much appreciate it.

Well, I can’t email the notes, just the abcs. But I could post the tune here and then you’d get the notes. Hah…here we go through this epic disembowling debate over posting "inappropriate" tunes, me arguing for staying closer to the trad center, and now I’m offering to post a jig from a movie soundtrack. Oh the humanity! :o)

Seriously, if no one objects, I’d gladly slap the abcs into the tune section.

Posted .

The alternative of course is to cut and paste the above abcs into the converter at http://www.concertina.net/tunes_convert.html

You’ll then be able print out the sheet music, and listen to a sound file of the tune.

Posted .

Hello folks. Long time lurker, first time poster. I’m very much a novice in all aspects of this music, so I’ve been rather too timid to add my two cents to a lot of these disscussions, but maybe I can add something to this one.
"The Gael" was a piece I learned when I was first flirting with Irish traditional music (or traditonal-esque in this case). I used to play it with a few buddies of mine. The guitar chords that we used to back it were Dm,C, and a barred F, played as simply and powerfully as possible.
I actually played the melody on the 5-string banjo, using triplets instead of rolls (I can sense some of you wincing). Not nearly as flowing and silky as the movie soundtrack perhaps, but in my defense, neither I nor my friends had another melody instrument to play at that time. You have to work with what you have.
As for what kind of tune it is, it always sounded like a 6/8 march to my ear, though again I am a beginner and couldn’t really hold forth that topic very well.

Posted by .

Well i don’t object but i’m not sure what some of the others would say - it really isn’t a trad. tune. If your game post it here but if not i’m happy to give the cut and pasting a go. Maybe i’ll just do that seeing as no one else has asked for it.
Thanks

Great tune. I find it captivating. Doesn’t matter whether or why some session guys shun the tune. Cheers to the player earlier in this thread that did give a go one night.

I’d encourage your son to work on this tune, depending on where he is as a beginner. It’s a workout because of all the rolls and that could be daunting for a beginner. Still, don’t skimp on the rolls. He’ll be glad he put in the practice hours to get the rolls right.

Would love to have Dougie explain the tune or have Alister Frazier (the fiddler on the movie version) offer an opinion.

I get the feeling it was originally written by Doogie as an exercise to practice rolls on fiddle because it seems to be an unfinished composition. I charted it as a Slide in 12/8 with only an A section. There’s no turn to the tune. That might be why the movie version adds an extra part (all the pretty violins) to the tune.

I tried copying and pasting these two ABC’s into the converter to see how it works, and it won’t convert them. Is it just me?

and no, I didn’t put them in together. I did one at a time.

Katie, the ABCs are incomplete: missing the X: header which is mandatory. Just put X:1 as the first line in each one, and it converts.

g

Also, Q:200 is incomplete. It probably should be Q:3/8=200 (?). That won’t stop the tune from printing, but the converter will default it to whatever if feels like, could get the wrong default.

g

Zing! Pow!

Ooops, make that Q:1/8=200 unless you want to play that really fast. :-) See, you gotta be explicit.

Folks,

Thanks for the help on the ABC notation (especially Glauber). I was able to convert it after the "X=1" clue (Will’s version from 15 Jan). The tune sounds pretty close. If there are more refinements let me know. My son should have a lot of fun with it (e.g., practicing "rolls").

Anyway thanks for all of your help (especially to Will and Mark for taking a shot at the music)!!!!

Take care,

Bill

Hello all kinda of a new member and violin player what is a
roll when referring to The Gael, I know it might the concern 3 consecutive note…but is it played any different ….hard piece of music to bow but its coming
robert

I have been asked by a beginning fiddle student to teach him this tune and I find it a little off-putting, as I have a wealth of traditional music in my head to share, but he is fixated on this tune from a movie that makes his spine tingle. The music made my heart beat a little faster when I saw The Last of the Mohicans, too, but that was in context of the story and visuals. I remind myself that people enter the world of Irish music through many doors and windows. Grin and bear it. The music would help my lazy self if you post it.

TA …DA I think i got it starting to come around still working on
intro…..this is working thanks for posting the ABC’s trying to
get the g nat. to work in the roll
robert

Can this tune be played on the tin whistle? I’ve been playing for about six months but still know next to nothing about music. Having a go at the sheet music on Doug MacLean’s website, what comes out of my whistle sounds nothing like the piece!

I actually played this a few years ago at orchestra camp. It was the Celtic class piece that everyone played at the end of the week at the concert. We learned it by ear from out teacher during class. I had the music for quite a while (she gave it to us on the last day just in case) but I seem to have lost my copy. I only remember the very beginning.

Thanks for posting the ABC notation. I don’t quiet understand all of it but I get the general idea.

Hi,

I transcribed Trevor Jones’ adaptation (Last of The Mohicans) of Dougie’s The Gael for myself - with phrasing and ornamentation. If anyone would like a pdf and/or Noteworthy Composer file, just send me an e-mail with The Gael in the title.

ok Peace!!
Chris

Cheers; I’ve been looking for that.

Why is it not acceptable to put this into the tunes section?