Musical Kiss

Musical Kiss

At least 30 years ago, I saw a painting in a magazine that has really affected me all of these years. It is in a Victorian parlor by the piano where a young lady is seated. A fellow is there with a violin (I don’t think it was a fiddle in this setting). Anyway, they had just finished playing (I assume) and the fellow and this young lady were locked in this spontaneous, passionate kiss. It’s suggests that during the piece their souls were mingled and the amazing experience was like an amorous, musical embrace.

Two things:

1) has anyone ever seen this painting? I’d like to see it again.

2) Has anyone ever experienced something like this while at a session?

Re: Musical Kiss

1) I haven’t
2) I haven’t

… but then, I’m very insensitive … or so I’ve been led to believe …

1, no
2, I WISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;-)

Posted by .

1No
2 Once - it was the most amazing feeling caused by us actually getting a new set of tunes right for the first time - one of those tingily moments!!
Luckily there was only two of us -what do you do if there’s a larger number - a group hug?!!

I’am going to a session tonight I will leave the Blacksmith at
home and let you know if I’am Lucky

Are you sure it wasn’t a piano? (easily confused with a fiddle I know) http://www.artchive.com/artchive/h/hunt/hunt_conscience.jpg.html This is about awakening conscience, and we sincerely hope that realisation of the folly of sitting on the lap of a moustachioed bounder pretending to be a piano teacher has not come too late. Especially when the guy plays with one glove on and one on the floor - I’m sure we can guess what that symbolises, along with the cat and its victim!

RB You came up with that one very quick.
Where was it under your pillow

That description rings a bell, I think I have seen such a picture.

Even though I have attended sessions with my wife, I never got anything other than a whack with her bow when I got out of line! And with a wife that whacks you with her bow, who would think of stepping out of line again, even when she is not around!!!!

;-)

Wow! The two links to graphics above are so close, especially the first. - same time period and, if I recall, almost the same style. The second is not far, either, except the….well, the one I have in mind is….well, I am wordless here. But I am glad we all have the idea. There is an innocence depicted in the one I am thinking of. A grand spontinaiety, a ‘swept away in the moment ’ feel. The young ladies elbows are bent suggesting surprise. Gosh, how that picture has stayed with me all these years!

Tingily moments…yes, this is the experience. There is a deepening of friendships and an increase love of the music. A heartly nob, a wink….That’s why this picture is so wonderful. It captures this feeling.

So how does he hold on to the violin while he is wrapping himself round the said female? The possibility of it’s getting crunched against the piano or under an armpit or something must have inhibited his manoeuvres somewhat.

I’m in intrigued now. Someone better find that painting on the net, post a link and alert me to it, else I’ll get very angry indeed.

Good day :-/

The fiddle is held somewhat at arms length, safe from crushing and moisture damage. I do believe that the bow is also being held in the same hand. He isn’t wrapped around. That is the thing that is so touching. A moment later, they probably couldn’t believe what they just did!

I wonder if this experience might be unique to playing music together. I tried to imagine the same mingling of souls after seeing a grand sunset, or an eagle fly above. Maybe the same feeling is had after a field goal in sports…all those guys hugging and patting each other’s….hmmmm. I dunno. Just not the same.

It’s been a long time. It may have increased in greatness over the years as it hung in the gallery of my mind. I hope when we find it we won’t be disappointed. I hope I didn’t see it in MAD!!

Seeesh! I just wasted a bunch of time searching for this graphic. I’ll never again google "passion kiss" while at work. Where is ptarmigan when I need him (to find the link)!

heartily nob - that’s in Michigan dialect. Sorry. Hearty nod.

This guy means business if you look close he is actually handing the fiddle to his manservant behind the piano,or is he
beckoning for help?

I have gotten to the end of a set of tunes and felt emotionally connected to another person… however, I can’t say I’ve experienced quite what you’re describing! But hey, I’m still young—maybe someday. ;-)

Noting the rapturously upturned eyes in RichardB’s painting, I’m not sure that I should describe what I think is going on.
Doesn’t anyone remember the movie The Red Violin, in which the first musician to own it manages all kinds of interesting moves while playing it?
The impromptu descriptive piece was also quite amusing, seeing the ladies in the front row sq

Oops, hit ‘post’ inadvertently.
……..squirming uncomfortably as their imaginations took over.

sts, is that the Peter Schickele album which contains the performance of Beethoven’s 5th being analyzed by two sportscasters?

This is a Victorian morality picture, oldstrings, so banish your unworthy thoughts! The young lady has managed to avoid a "fate worse than death" through the inspiration of the purity of the garden beyond, as seen in the mirror. I don’t know what you are imagining is going on! There’s another picture by Holman Hunt of a miserable tethered goat that might be appropriate for Benhall’s thread about being the session goat. I’ll just have a look for it…
Here it is: http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/online/pre-raphaelites/scapegoat.asp
I’m sure that’s just how he felt

Being a pre-raphaelite nut, I have always loved that Holman Hunt painting, if only for the expression of the wildcat under the table.
(and disregardng any tasteless references to the cats name).

What you all failed to notice in the picture submitted by Richard B is the hole in the back of your wan’s dress !!

Check the expression on the guy’s face ( piano player ) !!!

DOES ANYONE HERE KNOW THE NAME OF THE PAINTING THAT THIS POST IS ABOUT??

I think it’s called "Fiddling with Felicity" or something like that..

perhaps ‘Philandering with Felicity’?

I think it’s called "The Accompanist" but I have not been able to find it anywhere on the web under that name.

Was that painting used in an advertisement for Tabu perfume, years ago?

Posted by .

Oldstrings, yes, that’s the one:
"It’s a beautiful night for a concert. There’s not a cloud in the ceiling."

Glad to see another person here who’s familiar with the legacy of good ole PDQ Bach.
"My bonnie lass she smelleth, making the flowers jealouth…"

Posted by .

Re: Musical Kiss Part II

Never seen that one before. It certainly isn’t Holman Hunt’s "The Awakening Conscience" (Awakening? Awakened? I don’t know which it is.)

Hooray! I remember it being a bit larger, But that is it!!

Antikhntr, I have a new hero!

I’d bet they were playing Beethoven……. Allegro molto appacionato!

Woo hoo! thanks Antikhntr

Seeing this brings to mind one of Bluto’s ill-fated attempts to woo Olive Oyl, this time in his incarnation as a symphony conductor:
"Hey Babe — how about getting amoroso with this virtuoso…with a little kissimo?"

Posted by .

After the link supplied by Antikhntr, I poked around on the web and found some more pictures of various usefulness. Couldn’t find just the painting, tho. Here are a few:

http://www.sessionite.com/kiss

Thanks, one and all, especially Antikhntr (is the a smily with puckered lips?)

And the award for Understatement Of The Year:
In RichardB’s bio, he says "I also do a bit of painting"

Oh…STS…. that is funny… are you also an old Max Fleisher cartoon nut like I am…. I do a great Olive Oyl imitation if given enough to drink! I know the cartoon you are talking about!

Here is another great painting, a Pre-Raphealite Session no doubt:

http://www.excelsiordirect.com/music.htm

>I do a great Olive Oyl imitation if given enough to drink!

Now, _there’s_ an invitation if ever I heard one. OK, everyone, copious alcoholic beverages for Iris!

Definitely like the old Fleisher Popeye ‘toons, where he’s talking under his breath half the time and making all kinds of odd little throwaway comments.

You’ll like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnO4EhusWuQ

Posted by .

Pretty funny! I actually have most if not all of the old Max Fleischer cartoons, not only Popeye. have to confess, I am a total old cartoon nut. Most people don’tl get it, but these old cartoons are an absolutely amazing art form, esp. the way they used to draw them. These have such detail, and the shadows make them, modern cartoons are flat, these look 3D. They took forever to do. I almost went to work for King Features right out of school, they had taken over Popeye… much lower standard or artwork by the 60-70s though. Wish I had gone that route though in a way.

Also, the early MGM and Warner Bros. cartoons are amazing too. Pre-Bugs Bunny and all the pop characters, amazing work.

One of my favorite lines was when Olive was running out of a graveyard and telling Popeye how awful it was, and she said she had to "step over all these dis-remembered bodies".

I often use, when tired, Popeye’s words… "I’m exhaustipated". And then there’s the "you buttered your bread now lie in it, NO… you made your bed, now EAT it" It’s hard to catch the mutterings.

Really good too, the old Thimble Theater comic strips with characters who never made it to the cartoons, Geezil, others…. but I date myself here, LOL!

Do you know what they called Olive Oyl in the Spanish language versions of Popeye? If you know that, you are a true Popeye scholar.

If we ever cross paths, you owe me a drink and I owe you an Olive imitation! Are you in USA? Do you go to E. Durham to CIAW? Not kidding. Haven’t done one in a long time but will practice! Hope I can still do it convincingly!

My reply is on the original question of the painting in question.
I am an avid artist and I drew a picture of this painting
as an art project over 30 years ago and I might say it turned out very nice.I recieved an "A" for my efforts and I still have the ad from "TABU" displayed next to my version of the painting.I used pen and ink as my medium on textured paper.My version is in black and white. I too have been in search of this elusive artist. The ad is about 3" by 3" and does not give and good look at the artist signiture.I am still very intrigued my this painting and artist and would appreciate help in finding him.thanks

Last week, I saw a book on a window shop with this captivating cover. It was ravishing, it was like I could fell the woman’s desire inside of me.
When I got home I made a search on google (kiss+violin+piano+painting) to find this picture and ended up on your post. It was exactly as you described it, only I was sure it was no Tabu advertisement.
Today I went inside the shop to find out who the painter on the cover was. His name is René François Xavier Prinet. The name of the painting is one of Tolstoy’s books "KREUTZER SONATA"
You can see it in here
http://www.artnet.com/Artists/LotDetailPage.aspx?lot_id=810CEA47E82042B6

Thank you so very much for posting a link to this very beautiful painting. I was also deeply affected by this painting as a young girl in the 50’s, when Tabu used it in their advertising. I thought I would never see it again, never knowing the name or artist, but never forgot it. My mother had a beautiful print of it framed in her bedroom, and had a dress exactly like it (same colour and style). I would dress up and pretend to be the young woman being swept off her feet by her teacher. It was so moving to me to see such passionate, forbidden love. I had not seen the painting, nor could I find it in any art book, library, or internet (years after when it became available). I was watching "Roseanne" one evening and during the closing credits, they show this painting and I could not believe "There it is!" But they did not show the name or artist, and I did not have time to tape it. Tonight is the second time I have seen the painting since I last saw it in my mother’s bedroom. And nowfor the first time, I know the artist who painted it, and I have saved it in my computer. Thank you for the wonderful memory!!!

Posted by .