fiddle pickup and wireless setup - love it!

fiddle pickup and wireless setup - love it!

Hey, guys, long time no see. I know lots of us have posted about pickups and wireless setups in the past, so I thought someone might be interested in this. (And, of course, the standard disclaimer applies, I don’t have any financial interest, etc. etc. etc.)

This round of St. Pat’s performances, I really realized that I HATE dealing with mics on boom stands, etc., even though I don’t perform all THAT often, and decided to take the plunge into a pickup and wireless setup. I found the Electric Violin Shop online at http://www.ElectricViolinShop.com. The following is excerpted from the testimonial letter I just sent them.

Chris Guin was incredibly helpful, creative, and informative about my options. I gave him my budget restrictions (under $500) and he stayed within them. I believe he’s gotten me the best set up I could have gotten. I asked for ease of use, decent to good sound, a wireless setup, and to be kept within my budget. And if it was at all possible, I wanted to avoid having to be cabled anywhere on my person.

Chris suggested the new Kremona pickup (not even on the website yet!), custom installed by the EVS luthier onto a carpenter jack, then using the AKG Guitar Bug and receiver. Though EVS’s prices may be a couple of dollars higher than other online retailers, I have to say that I think EVS’s services more than justified those few pennies. I’d come back to you guys without any hesitation whatsoever.

The Kremona pickup took a bit of fiddling with different files to get the thing into the bridge, but it was relatively simple and Kevin’s tips (given by e-mail immediately when I appealed for help - and just after business hours, too) helped a lot.

It’s particularly handy that I was able to get the custom work done to install the Kremona into the carpenter jack; I believe that this has saved me real time and aggravation, making it possible to use the AKG Bug and receiver easily and with no fuss and NO cables on my person (I don’t always WEAR clothes with pockets onstage!). I’ve watched one too many fiddlers pull their fiddle off a stand or chair onto the floor with a forgotten cable attachment to want it to happen to my beloved fiddle.

Once Kevin showed eejit me how to shove that sucker far enough into the carpenter jack to actually connect properly, I’ve been very happy with the Bug. The only thing that troubles me is that occasionally the bug flops a bit onto the side of the bout if I’m moving around a lot, creating a small knocking noise. Is there a way to adjust the spring? I’ll take a look at the manual.

As for the sound…you were right, Chris! At only around $70, the Kremona is a STEAL. I was playing with another fiddler tonight who was on a good quality mic on a boom stand, and other musicians in the audience told me afterwards that it was very difficult to tell a difference in sound quality, with very few problems sounding "amplified." It made sound check an absolute breeze; I was able to go out front and check the sound while still playing. A simple adjustment of the volume on the receiver, then on the desk for balance, and I was ready to go.

If anyone else wants a relatively inexpensive pickup and wireless set up with comparatively excellent sound and incredible ease of use, I highly recommend this solution. Other than the bridge filing adjustments, it worked almost directly out of the box.

Re: fiddle pickup and wireless setup - love it!

I don’t have any call for a pickup on my fiddle as I only started playing 18 months ago, but its really great to hear from you again Zina. Hope all is well with you.

Hi Zina, I’ve nothing sensible to say on this matter either (or anything else, apparently :-) ) but I’m also really pleased to see you back here.

:-) or as you would say *smirk*. Take care.

Zina who?

:-P

Sorry Zina, I wouldn’t know a pickup, from a setup, from a chatup line, …….. just a simple country boy me. No doubt the pros here’ll be able to keep you right.

Good to see you back.

Hallo, boys!

Donough, you’ve picked up the fiddle!? How very cool! Is Brides giving you lessons? Are you playing out yet on it? Let me know how it goes, I’d love to hear how you go.

Johnny J, I’ve yet to meet up with you anytime I get over there, but let’s make next time the time we finally see each other in the same space, k? :) "Nothing sensible" indeed. *smirk*

Hiya, Dick — as if I’m stupid enough to fall for THAT line. ;)

Just in and out, but you know where to find me.

As usual, I have nothing useful to say…

Funny enough Zina, I’ve been investigating other mic options meself. I don’t want to have pickups installed inside of my boxes. Plus they don’t seem to sound natural enough to my ears. I would like to start using a condenser mic or maybe some sort of clip-on. I’ve got to move away from a directional mic, for I’m always smacking my grill against it. Trying to play with box in one position takes away from my playing it seems.
I did like what Dirk was using on his pipes that night. Have to check with him and find out. They weren’t too bad from what I was hearing out of the monitors. I’m happy to see you found a system that works for you and within price range.

good for you

Ray

xox, Mark, and love to Mrs. Ottery!

Ray, the mics that Dirk were using were borrowed from another piper, Tim Britten, who rescued him when the mics he ordered didn’t come in time. You might want to check in with him as to what he’s got now — I imagine he’ll have received them by now.

I actually have to buy a pick up so I’ll have a look at the website. Thanks for the wee tip Zeens!

Posted by .

if you want, beebs, I’ll buy it for you and send it, if it’s cheaper over here for you!

Hi Zina

I have been using a radio mike setup for about 18 months now. Ever since I got the lead of my then pickup wrapped around my foot, pulled my fiddle on to the floor and did £800 woth of damage to to it :(

It’s the only way to go if you need to move about a bit to dodge bottles etc.

"worth" not woth

The other choice is to say "I need amplified fiddle, I’ll get an electric one." My fiddle player uses a Swordfish, and it is excellent. You do need to adjust the tone electronically to get the best out of it, a graphic equalizer is useful, but if it’s good enough to play at the Albert Hall, it’s good enough. And it’s a beautiful piece of woodcarving too.

Eek, Geoff, I didn’t know that’s why you went to a radio mic! Aw, how awful. I remember watching a classical soloist put his fiddle on a chair, start talking to the first fiddle, then forgot he was attached and started walking away from the chair, pulling his I’m sure VERY expensive violin onto the floor. I thought he was going to faint right there on the spot. It was pretty much ok except for a corner.

And Pete, I very nearly DID buy an electric, to be honest. But decided to opt for only having to have one fiddle to carry round. There’s some really very nice ones out there.

I think I’m going to make a heavily padded road case for the receiver and bug tho. It comes in a box, and I don’t want to be carrying that round all the time.

BTW, I think I forgot to mention — the price for the entire set up was under $400. I was really pleased!

So Zina, what kind of music are you playing on this spiffy amplified fiddle? Will we be seeing you touring around the world playing Irish festivals and such? :-)

God, I hope not, for all our sakes! Irish, anyway. I’m good enough for an audience of people who don’t know any better. :D Now, which "kennedy" would this be…?

I’m new to this site and the fiddle—-after ten months learning it’s amazing how bad I still sound. I’ve read many of the old discussions here and it’s encouraging to know that you and others struggled along the same path and found your way through. My congratulations to you!

lol — well, welcome to TheSesh, tho it’s been a while since I’ve been a regular round here. Don’t worry about sounding bad. Everyone does at 10 months. Hell, some of us still do at 10 years. :) When those good players you admire tell you that they’re still beginners? Believe that they believe it.

Do it because you enjoy it. There’s no other really good reason to. :)