looking for sessions in Ireland in August

looking for sessions in Ireland in August

I’m going on a six week trip to the North and Republic of Ireland this August, and am looking forward to visiting some friendly sessions. Can anybody make some recommendations? I will be in the Belfast area from August 7 to around the 11th, then will travel south to Cork and Kerry, hopefully dropping in at a few sessions on the way. I’m a visual artist and musician and would like to take photos of some of the musicians in sessions (with their permission of course) as I will be working on a series of etchings and drypoints based on these images. My plan is to work on them during my one month stay at the Cill Rialaig Artist’s Residency in Ballinskelligs in County Kerry which starts August 16 to September 13th (doing art during the day, playing music at night—what could be better!).
I play fiddle & concertina as well, so hope to do some playing at sessions. I’ll be travelling from the north to the south with my dad and son (who also play traditional music)….ending up in County Kerry by August the 16th. Our itinerary is pretty flexible, so if there was a great festival in Clare, we could head over that way.
If anyone can recommend some good sessions in the Belfast area I’d be very grateful.
Does anyone know if there is a session in Gelnavy at a pub in Antrim called McGeown’s on Wednesday night?
There used to be a great session at Clenaghan’s Pub (near Lurgan) that I went to in 2002, but I’ve heard it has moved to Glenavy.
Also, are there any traditional music festivals happening in August that I should check out in my travels? (more opportunities for good pics and tunes)
Thanking you in advance for your help!
cheers
~aoife

Posted by .

Re: looking for sessions in Ireland in August

There are Sessions in Cork 7 nights a week Sunday is a great day for music in Cork .Check out the post above and you’ll also see some of the sessions in Cork.The Sin e is a great place to take photos brilliant candle light setting and its known for its friendliness let me know when its near your travel date
I’ll let you know whats on .I like the way you ask for permission alot of people don’t do that.

Posted by .

The Irish Music Magazine has a list of sessions in all counties in the back of its magazine. Its a monthly magazine and it prob has a list of festivals also. There is the Fleadh Cheoil in Tullamore buy your in kerry at that stage. The world fleadh is in portlaoise but im not sure when check out their website

Sorry to say, but Irish Music magazine has severely cut back its coverage and trimmed down from c. 96 pages to c. 64 in the process. The sessions listings are one of the casualties.

On your way to the Republic, stay in Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh on a Friday night. There’s an old-fashioned session in a pub called Blakes of the Hollow on Church St. The musicians are mostly old, but they play very fast!

Great suggestions….thanks everyone!
Theo—can you tell me what the Feakle Festival like?
And is anyone aware of which are the best sessions around Belfast?

Posted by .

it’s 20+ years since i’ve lived in belfast, but on a visit home in 2004 there were sessions in kelly’s cellars in bank street and in maddens bar, which is only a stone’s throw away from kelly’s. i’m green with envy. have a great time.

Check the database on Yahoo Group thesessionuk

There are great sessions here in Belfast. Kelly’s Cellars session can be a bit rough at times but Maddens Bar has a good session upstairs on a Fri and Sat night and downstairs on a Mon and Tues night.
The Sunday evening session in Whites Tavern, Wine Cellar Entry, is great with good order but the Fri and Sat session there can be noisey and chaotic.
The Thursday night session in The Duke of York , Commercial Court, is one of the best with great atmosphere.
The Garrick Bar, Chichester St, has a great session on Wed nights and Friday after work at 5:30 with some great musicians dropping in each week. The Garrick also has a regular Folk Club with some established names (Flook, Solas etc).
Irish Music Rag never published all sessions and many they did have died years ago.

Ballydehob,friday night session,
kenmare Kerry crowleys,sailors thursday night.

Posted .

thanks to everyone for your suggestions!

~aoife

Posted by .

Hi aoife,
we moved from cleneghans to mcgeowns but are now doing a wednesday night session in a pub known as the horseshoe on the lurgan road about two or three miles from glenavy. It is known locally as mcilroys. I’m sure if you’re around you’d be very welcome. I might be in france around then but the lads will look after you. I’d also agree with iwerzon that sessions in belfast are great but they are often paid sessions. the john hewitt early staurday eveings is very open to visitors. drop me a line nearer the time and i can give you a steer. Trying to remember you from your visit to cleneghans.
Johnny

Ceol na Locha school is on in Tourmakeady, Co Mayo in August. There are great sessions every night. See www.ceolnalocha.com or www.tourmakeady.com