looking for the new location of clenaghan’s session near belfast

looking for the new location of clenaghan’s session near belfast

Hi
I went to a really memorable session in 2002 at Clenaghan’s Pub on a Tuesday night in the countryside near Aghalee in Northern Ireland (not too far from Belfast), and I have heard that this session has moved to another pub close by (apparently the same group of musicians in a new location and on a different evening)
I am travelling from Canada to Belfast on August 7th and would love to visit this session if at all possible—-does anyone know the new location and time? Any info would be very much appreciated!
~aoife

Posted by .

Re: looking for the new location of clenaghan’s session near belfast

i know of a good session in glengormley, newtownabbey which would not be a million miles away from where you would like to go. its in a bar called the crown and shamrock and its on a wed night and starts about 9.00 . wouldnt like you to be stuck with no session at all.

Aoife,

You’re right this was a great session. I used to go all the time, then got out of the way of it. when I went looking for it again it had gone, as is the way of these things. Ivan, the man of the house said they had moved to McKeown’s in Glenavy on a Wednesady night. This was a year or so ago so it may be worth checking out before you go. Equally, I would not be surprised if the session made its way back there

Posted by .

Greetings Aoife,

I too attended that brilliant session last in 2002. I’ve emailed the person in Belfast that put me onto it and enquired. I’ll post his response when received. Enjoy your trip.

Peace,
Ed

p.s. If things have not changed at Clenaghan’s then I would suggest at least getting there for a meal. As I recall it was one of, if not, the best we had in all our travels in Ireland that year. A bit pricey at the time but well worth the expense.

Greetings again Aoife,

This is the response I received from the person you called yesterday. Give Les my best please.

Clenaghans is finished unfortunately. A few of us play there every now and again but definitely not regularly enough for someone just to turn up on the off chance.

We have moved to a really nice little pub called The Horse Shoe Inn on the Crumlin Road in Ballinderry Upper. It is not all that far from Clenaghans - about 4 miles further north. Session is on Wednesdays and starts about 9:30 - 9:45 and finishes about 1:30.

Full address details

The Horse Shoe Inn
Tel: 028 92651312
24 Crumlin Rd, Ballinderry Upper, Lisburn BT28 2JX

Pub is on the corner of Station, Crumlin and Ogales Roads.

Heh Ejsant Thanks so much for the update!! The Horseshoe sounds like it’s in the middle of nowhere (but then so was Clenaghans) but I will be able to find it now. And Clens might be worth another visit as the food was amazing. Thanks very much to everyone for your help.
Cheers
~aoife

Posted by .