Stefan Sobell 10 string Cittern..

Stefan Sobell 10 string Cittern..

There is a nice short scale Sobell for sale on ebay.co.uk, if anyones looking for one….

Re: Stefan Sobell 10 string Cittern..

yikes, those prices just bit me……

Its at £450.00 sterling at the moment…..but it will sky-rocket I would say…good nick for its age though…

that looks niceeeeeeeee

yeah the others lower down on the page went for around 2500 $

£2,500 not dollars!

oooh, wince.

That’s not a Sobell cittern/OM, it’s a 10 string mandola. The guy selling it has just copied a whole load of stuff from the website and doesn’t seem to know what he’s talking about. I wouldn’t buy it.

I’ve got one already anyway. Bought it new, and it certainly didn’t cost me anything close to 2500 quid. If you want a Sobell I’d recommend buying from the man himself.

Well, I’ve been fortunate enough to borrow one long term from its owner who doesn’t play it much (nor want to sell it for personal reasons).

It’s a beautiful instrument, hand made with a carved top and, from a craftsman it’s going to be expensive. The sound is delicate rather than powerful, wonderful for playing at home or gigging. I don’t feel it’s really a session instrument though: melody playing doesn’t cut through but it’s well suited to gentle backing or singing with.

And hard to tear your eyes away from it!

Posted by .

I am afaid that from Sobell direct, they have hit top mark as far as price is concerned in the bouzouki/cittern world….

last I heard a cittern from him new was 4000-5000k Euro new at least…

Yes, but it’s not a cittern, and it’s not a bouzouki either. That’s false advertising. It’s a mandola. Mandolas are smaller and therefore cheaper. Maybe not much cheaper, but this guy certainly shouldn’t be comparing prices with the longer scale instruments.

I agree with you there, he seems to be stuck for info on it…he didnt know what year it was made even….I could be wrong, but going by the pics, it looks like the sobell label is missing, although the date would not be on this- he goes by serial numbers on the neck joint engraved inside- but if it is missing it seem strange??

After a 2nd look, it is missing, which is a shame, as Stefan signs each of his instruments at completion…..

It still looks good though! : )

Word is that Sobell is really backlogged on guitar orders and is not currently taking commisions for mandolin family instruments at all.

Mine is signed and dated.

But yeah this one still looks good even though it’s missing… They’re beautiful instruments.

How good are Stefans instruments? I’ve heard ‘very good’ . I’m interested not as a guitarist or string player but because I knew him a very long time ago before he started making and am pleased to hear how well an old aquaintance is doing.

Posted by .

You could check out Nigel Forester’s instruments. I believe he used to work with Sobell. www.nkforsterguitars.com

This same seller sold this same instrument about a year and a half ago. Then it sold for $3400 USD. A pal of mine missed buying it by nine seconds.

It’s quite interesting that the same guy is selling it again.

Sobells have become the "gold standard" of these sorts of instruments, certainly because of their quality and unique sound, and especially because Stefan’s output is slowing so much.

Many players prefer other types of sounds from Big Mandolins, and Sobells are certainly priced out of the reach of most players. For some, they are too collectible to be ‘working’ instruments, while some folks carry them everywhere and play them all the time. And nothing else sounds like a Sobell instrument.

I’ve seen a couple of Forster’s instruments and they sound very, very different from Sobell’s. There are some hints of Forster’s background with Sobell, but they’re quite Forster’s own. Forster’s prices are … um … premium.

Forster was Sobell’s assistant, some say ‘shop manager,’ and when he left, Sobell announced on his website that he had stopped taking orders for some time. Apparently he had to make a lot of changes as a result of Forster’s departure. Some accounts say that the split was acrimonious, and it appears that its effects were difficult for Sobell.

Enjoy,

stv

http://cdbaby.com/Culchies

Some great juicy gossip there! Nothing like a good bit of hearsay eh? :-)

Coincidentally I have been thinking of selling my long-neck 10-string Sobell cittern. Would anyone have any advice on how to go about that or how much to ask. I suppose ebay is one way, but…