Best software for converting standard notation to TAB?

Best software for converting standard notation to TAB?

I have a lot of tunes in standard notation (From the Folk Club here at work) that I would like to convert to TAB for the (GDAE tuned) tenor banjo as I ‘don’t do dots’.

I have played with several pieces of TAB software, but most seem to work the other way round, converting TAB to standard notation. Either I’m missing something or I’m looking at the wrong software.

Can anyone recommend a piece of software that will do the job I need, or do I need to bite the bullet and learn the dots?

I don’t use the printed music when I’m playing, just to help me get the tune into my head.

TIA

Iain

If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence you ever tried.

Re: Best software for converting standard notation to TAB?

Try feeding "notation to TAB" into the advanced search field of the Google search engine. It looks as if you’ll find your answer there.

One piece of software that I use is TablEdit. It allows me to import the music either as a midi file or as ABC and then converts over to TAB.

There have been occasions when I have needed to write the music out to achieve this as the original music has been in pdf format. You didn’t mention which format your sheet music is in at the moment, so this would appear your best option.

D

I use Sibelius. I know it’s a huge and expensive program, but you can read and transfer about anything to any kind of tablatures, in 2 mouse clicks. The list of tunings it has in memory is astounding : all kinds of guitar, banjo, dulcimer, lute, oud… and I think you can make your own tuning and have it recognised by the program…

Gotta back Sibelius. Midi to sheet music, to tab. So basically ABC -> midi -> sheet music -> tab
or sheet music -> midi -> ABC

It’s expensive but worth every penny!

Just to be ecumenical—-Finale does the same thing, but you don’t need the full blown program to work with TAB.

I just looked at the Finale website and it looks like even their free version called Notepad does tab notation to some extent. The next step up is called Songwriter $50 US, and it has more TAB features.

I have the full program which allows you to go from TAB to dots or from dots to TAB, but I’m not sure about the smaller versions.

Iain,

The cheapest way to go is to learn to read music, it is not that hard (http://www.johnmcgann.com/TabReadersGuideToStandard.pdf is a good start) and much more versatile than tab.

But if you insist on being tab bound (i.e. not know the harmonic relationships or the timing,; learning to play a tune in one boring, stultifying way, etc.), then Tabledit s the way to go since it is both cheap and powerful and will put out a .pdf file if you need one.

There are 40K tunes out there on the net, all in notation and/or ABC. You might find 3K in tab with no way to compare them easily to see if it is the one you want. Learn ABC if notation is an adverse stimulus to you, it is about the same and easy to transport.

Mike Keyes
http://www.banjosessions.com

I’d go with Mike. I admit to being lazy and spent may years reliant on tab for my guitar playing. When i decided to go and buy a mando i ‘accidentally’ bought a tutorial book that forced me to learn to read music. It was probably the best thing i ever did and while I am no way near fluent I am able to do enough for my needs.

I stay with TablEdit because it allows me to import the ABC and allows me to check that my reading of the music is accurate (saves me a fortune in paying for some teacher to give me lessons when I can learn myself!).

Melody Assistant does this for any fretted instrument, any tunings even custom new tunings up to 16 strings also harmonica any tuning and custom.
However, best advice is to learn to read dots for strings but tab for harmonica.

My husband has a guitar orchestra at his school. He transcribes orchestral music into tab for his guitarists, 5 parts. He includes rhythmic notation as well as the other traditional markings one finds in classical literature. He also teaches them to read treble clef. But, for the ensemble performances, if he relied on their treble clef reading skills, they’d be playing well below their technique, and the tunes would be quite simplistic. As it is, they are playing Beethoven, Greig, Vivaldi, Telemann, Mendelsohn, Mozart, etc. and going to classical music competitions, taking first place over large high school traditional orchestras.
They don’t use tab because they are lazy.

p.s. He transcribes from orchestral scores, not using a program. By not using a program, he controls where the notes lie on the fingerboard, as well as potential cross-voicing as he is using regular guitars for 4 parts, acoutic bass guitars for the bass parts.

The cheapest way (time, money, BS&T) to do anything is to find what you need.
So many people looking for conversion programs.
Not to discredit a well written program ~ since you are probably looking over a couple of them.
Look over the tablature already available.
http://www.mandolincafe.com/tabarc.html