What is the greatest sacrifice ever made for traditional music?

What is the greatest sacrifice ever made for traditional music?

It is all so easy now. There are sessions in every corner of the globe.
What if you had to go to some dark dreary place full of eccentric people in order to find
a place to play music? Would you give up family & fortune … SCREEEETTCH ….

No, too fatalistic. But, you know, we have it easy. What would anyone ‘give’
for the chance to play a set of tunes wth good people? Of course it is fun
& I don’t want to bring anyone down.
But who (what) is the true love of your life?

Posted .

Re: What is the greatest sacrifice ever made for traditional music?

Muse, what have you got against eccentric people??

Posted by .

A great many men go to dark dreary places full of eccentric people, giving up family and fortune, and not even looking for or finding music. It’s called going to the pub to get away from the family and spend a lot of money. It is an ordeal borne with remarkably little obvious suffering and extremely high threshholds of boredom by uncountable zillions across the English-speaking world. I don’t see what the problem is here…

"A great many men go to dark dreary places full of eccentric people"

Nicholas, if these people are the norm, can you call them eccentric?

Isn’t that a little extreme, a sacrifice? Do we really have to kill something? Can’t we just play a few tunes?

I’ve murdered a few tunes in my time…………..

I think Muse is revealing something about the fantasies that lurk within the dark recesses of his subconscious here. What he really wants, is to be let into the ancient secret initiation ceremonies that took place in the old days, like when we used to build a wicker man and….well, I really shouldn’t talk about that sort of thing on a public forum…

I never experienced the old days. Some players are still living them. Wolfbird, I would be the last one to know what lurks in my dark recesses.
I appreciate the desert solitude with a small campfire & only the wide open spaces around me.

I know, ‘the greatest sacrifice’ I should be more careful what I ask for. Sacrifice? ~ nothing too severe. No loss of life or limb or sanity. We do give something up.

Certainly each of us have played into the late hours. We have traveled cross country for music. My greatest sacrifice, the more I play traditional, is small. I am more & more willing to listen to someone play a tune well. & not ‘have to’ play along. I hear it, then feel it, then listen… & then finally I ‘have to’ learn it. That is my love. Now that is odd (eccentric) ~ equating love & sacrifice.

Cheers.
Who’s that lighting the toes of me?

Posted .

I think KML’s got the right idea. I’ve put my fair share of tunes out of their misery. Not too sure about stuffing them all into a giant wicker oven at the same time though. I prefer to off them one by one.

I feel I’ve made a great sacrifice reading this thread.

Have you ever seen the movie "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?"

There is a character who sold his soul to the Devil in order to become a brilliant guitarist. Seems like a fair sacrifice.

I gave up a life of drunkeness and debauchery for trad……. wait, no… no, thats part of it really.. crap.

I think the greatest sacrifice for traditional music I have ever observed is that made by experienced and proficient musicians as they patiently (or certainly with great forbearance and possibly with the judicious use of ear plugs) wait for young (or novice) players as they stumble slowly through the phases of learning a beautiful tune…

kath morgan, those are the mentors.
Anyone with the will & determination to learn trad is worth the patience … & the price of a pair of discreet ear plugs.

chuneboi slim, I take it this is not the 1st time you made that mistake. ;)

Posted .

I can’t think of anything that I have done to this point that could be considered a sacrifice. It is all still a joy to me, from practicing, to playing with others, to listening to the talented ones play.

The only sacrifice that I can think of is of those who listen to me play and still manage not to scream.

Muse. Indeed not the first. Actually , I was enjoying the thread
but had one of my momemtary bipolar attacks . ( see " Hecklers, Muppet Show" )

Staying on the campsite at Feakle is the ultimate sacrifice.

Ron Foreman you must live a charmed life.
I cannot keep them from screaming ;)

Posted .

Muse,
I always carry duct tape to put over their mouths if it happens. For the most part, they are long-suffering people. :)

SOmeone once said that duct tape was the most effective way to tape bodhran players…………

Hi Muse and zippydw, I don’t think it’s the bodhran’s themselves that are the problem - it’s the sticks..if you can find a way to remove them quietly the bodhran players are reduced to using the flat of their hands (much quieter..), the only trouble i’ve found is that they inevitably have about 60 of them in a bag - many of which they have made themselves and all of which make interesting and different noises - you have to use a strategy of distraction with a particularly difficult tune and while they are looking at you in awe and admiration and not able to keep up get an accomplice to accidentally sit on the bag.. all the best and thank God for the mentors..