Cello Rosin on a violin bow?

Cello Rosin on a violin bow?

Hi

A while ago I bought an incredibow for my fiddle and got some of the recommended tartini rosin at the time. When the rosin turned up it was Tartini cello rosin. I assumed that they perhaps recommended cello rosin cos of the synthetic hair of the incredibow.

Anyway I now recently bought a Codabow GX diamond and was wondering if the tartini rosin was suitable for the new bow or in fact whether or not there is any differenece between cello rosin on violin rosin at all. Am I ok to use the tartini rosin cos i’m itching to try out the new bow and it’s the only rosin i’ve got.

Thanks
Barn Owl

Re: Cello Rosin on a violin bow?

There is a difference between cello rosin and violin rosin, usually. Some rosins are marketed for violin/viola/cello, though.

Cello rosin is usually stickier. I don’t know about incredibows, but I wouldn’t use cello rosin on an ordinary bow if it were me. It might be a bit sticky for fiddle strings and it might be hard to get rid of once it’s on the hair.

But you can use cello rosin on a fiddle bow; it will work and it isn’t going to do any permanent harm. But rosin is cheap, so you might as well get some proper fiddle rosin.

With my Incredibow I was sent; ”VIVALDI;Mini sized cake, formulated for Violin, Viola or Cello.”

Rosin is cheep? Not when you can’t hold on to a block for more than a week without loosing it it aint

Posted .

I thought I was being clever and ordered four cakes of the tartini rosin and I’ve only made a tiny bite in the first cake in a year. I was rather hoping it would be ok on the new bow. Then again maybe I’ll prefer the incredibow and stick with it I don’t know yet.

Llig, maybe you need to start wearing your rosin on a chain around your neck. That way you won’t lose it, and it will give you loads of street cred.

Rosin must be very cheap indeed for the people who find all these cakes of rosin that you lose.

Barn Owl, you may as well go ahead and use that rosin if you have that much of it. Four cakes is practically a lifetime supply. Even if it isn’t the ideal rosin to use, it will work OK and it isn’t going to ruin the hair on your bow.

I’ve been using the same cake of rosin for thirty-two years. And it’s only about half gone.

I have a cake that I actually inherited that is at least 50 years old, and there’s plenty left. I used to use it and it’s still usable, but it is really dried out and not that great.

I prefer to use fresher cakes myself, but even so I’ll use the same cake for years.

Actually, Barn Owl, you may be able to make a profit on your stock of rosin:

http://www.violinist.com/discussion/response.cfm?ID=7943

From reading up on it, there were Tartini rosins for violin/viola/cello and also versions for specific instruments.

Sounds like you got the cello rosin for some reason, but that’s some expensive stuff and it looks like there’s some demand for it, so you could probably sell one of them and buy several cakes of violin rosin.

I’ve used cello rosin all my life on my cello bow (naturally) and then when I started playing the fiddle I go a cake of violin rosin, and some time later, another cake to go in the case that my second fiddle lives in. Over time those three cakes have mysteriously redistributed themselves at random between the two fiddle cases and the cello case and I am now never sure which kind it is I’m using. As far as I can make out, it doesn’t seem to make the slightest bit of difference.

Double bass rosin works well on my fiddle bow. Really!

Jon Boden (english fiddler with Spiers and Boden and Beloowhead) uses cello rosin - he says it gives him the scratchy sound that he is after.

Posted by .