Music Magazines

Music Magazines

I was thinking of subscribing to a music magazine. I was thinking of either: http://www.irishmusicmagazine.com/ or The Living Tradition. Since these are not USA publications, they cost quite a bit, but Im willing to pay for one subscription.

Any opinions on which is better for someone who likes reading about traditional music based on TRADITIONAL tunes like jigs-reels-hornpipes-songs etc.? Also including info about current bands- historical pieces about people from the past who played—- features on regions-traditions—history etc???….

Perhaps there is another magazine besides these 2 I should consider. I am not aware of any traditional music magazines in the USA , (unless you think bluegrass, and singer song writer stuff is traditional.) So any help in this area is greatly appreciated…

Re: Music Magazines

Personally I like Irish Music magazine the best - they have a section on whats happening in Amercia, tours etc so that’d be handy for you.

If you want really tradtional then ‘Treior’ might be the way to go….does anyone know if its still in pring??

Posted by .

‘print’ - these 5am rises are seriously ruining my typing

Posted by .

Irish Music Magazine is published in Ireland and focuses almost exclusively on Irish music in Ireland and around the world (very occasionally they do an article on the Scottish scene). ‘Irish music’ here refers to *all* Irish music although there is a strong trad and folk bias.

The Living Tradition on the other hand is published in Scotland and while it is almost exclusively trad and folk in content they attempt to cover all varieties so as well as lots on the Irish and Scottish scenes you’ll find lots of stuff on English, American and just about any flavour of trad you can imagine in the magazine.

Hope this helps…

Just don’t rely on the reviews in IMM. The mag appears to be populated by sycophants. A bad CD review in there is as common as rockin’ ‘orse scheidt.

Treoir is still in print. I just received the newest edition. However, I believe you need to be a member of Comhaltas to receive it. I get mine as a radio host of a traditional show. It does have most of what you’re inquiring about, but mainly Comhaltas bands. Lots of history and regional info and always a few pages of tunes. And plenty of Comhaltas publicity…

Yes, I inherited a whole pile of back copies from the 70s and 80s, interesting stuff.

Posted by .

Anyone can subscribe to Treoir… without being a CCE member.

Treoir magazine is available to anyone outside the Comhaltas membership as a paid subscriber for four issues a year.
Anyone in the U.S. or Canada can subscribe to Treoir via their North American direct mail system by sending $20 U.S. made payable to CCE North American Province to Treoir Administrator, P.O. Box 14, Hillsdale, NJ 07642-0014

Dirty Linen magazine in the U.S. will have some coverage/reviews.

Just to add to Clareman’s post, anyone outside of North America can get Treoir by registering with Monkstown (Tel: 01 280 0295). A limited selection from past Treoirs can be seen at http://comhaltas.ie/music/treoir/ to help you decide if it’s for you or not.

im afraid irish music mag is populated by sycophants. also the quality of the articles is extremely suspect, although they do cover a lot of material. treoir is worse as it is merely a propaganda magazine for comhaltas and you will not find good coverage of musical events unless they are comhaltas driven. i certainly dont bother with it unless you want to play ‘how many pictures of labhras can i find’. lol.

the best quality mag is the jmi (journal of music in ireland). while it deals with all types of music it does cover irish music very well. the reviews are excellent and they are certainly not biased, they also contain good articles on the music scene.

JMI (Journal of Music in Ireland) is the business, however Ciaran Carson’s articles are very self opinionated and he can be quite hypoctitical in his rantings.
Irish Music Magazine is a terrible publication imo. Same old faces on each edition (they pay for the pleasure you know!). It’s one big ad for the mainstream music industry.
I like Living Tradition though it is a bit commercial too.

Unsuprising the reviews don’t seem bad in IMM really.

Most of the CD’s are advertised in the same mag and certainly the labels take ads.

Its just business.

I’ve read Dirty Linen… folky world beat, singer songwriter stuff is what I dont need more of.

Thanks all for the info!

Id volunteer 2B a prufereeder for IMM anytime yeah.