Hundred Pipers

Hundred Pipers

This is a Scottish march, not a jig—march of the 49th Field Artillery. Many Scottish marches are in 6/8 time.

Laura Martin
fiddle teacher
www.fiddleandviolin.com

Re: Hundred Pipers

According to this site, there’s no such thing as a march, so…

Hundred Pipers…I know this one…it is a very bad whiskey sold in Australia. Tastes like charcoal infused bleach and has the same effect. Worse than the Popes phone number.

The initial post in this discussion is somewhat ambiguous, but it does raise two interesting questions:

Q. What is a march?
A. It depends on the context.

In musical terms, it’s a tune in 4/4 time using a moderate tempo, or a tune in 2/4 time in a somwhat quicker tempo. In military terms, it’s any tune that is played for marching, which includes tunes with 2/4, 4/4, 3/4 and 6/8 time-signatures.

Q. Why does the session not have a "march" classification?
A. Don’t know, but here’s my theory:

Marches are not popular at ITM sessions. If you play one at a session (no matter how good the tune) you may be glared at, or find that people won’t join in. Another issue is that many marches have a political association (Orangemens’ marches), and for this reason don’t sit well with normal ITM.

… and "A Hundred Pipers" is also a song …

Firstly, if these comments are to stand at all, they should be in the tunes section, under that particular tune. Secondly, yes, it’s a march, so what? It’s set up as a jig merely so that it will show on this site in 6/8 time.

And yes, "Many Scottish marches are in 6/8 time". I hope you’re not preaching to us, or trying to educate us, Laura. Because, if you are, I think you should learn something about trad playing first.

That is an extremely cheeky/rude thing to say Ben. Everyone here has plenty to learn about trad playing.

However, I think the first part of your post is essentially right. 6/8 marches are usually Scottish. Played in pipe band competitions and for dancing Boston Two Step and sometimes Gay Gordons. Having said that there are enough 6/8 marches in the session.org to justify their own section. They are listed as jigs but are very different to jigs. They don’t sit well at jig tempo or style.

Funnily enough, Hundred Pipers is one of the most jiggy 6/8 marches and can easily be classified as a jig.

Well, I’d have to say that I only partly agree with you then, bogman. Of course everyone has a lot to learn. I go through my life being permanently frustrated by my lack of skill/knowledge concerning playing and other things to do with this music.

… but I don’t think I was being "extremely cheeky/rude". I don’t like being preached at. And that’s how it felt. Even more, I don’t like being preached at by people who think they know when they don’t. If you ever feel that I’m doing that, please feel free to have a go at me, too. If I was wrong, and Laura was *not* trying to educate us - which is why I started with "I hope you’re not …etc" - then I apologise. Otherwise I stand by what I said and much care for being told I’m "extremely cheeky/rude" for saying it.

You’re certainly right that Laura’s post is a bit odd Ben. It does sound like a statement rather than something for discussion. Her post is right enough but I can’t see the point she’s making.

OK. Sorry to get my knickers in a twist a bit with you, Mr b. I’ve had one of those weeks where I’m just getting more and more frustrated with the world. No offence intended - and I see from your post, none appears to be taken.

My SO said I was "a little acerbic" this morning …

MARCHES ~ no single category, as it has been discussed in the past, because there’s hardly a time signature that doesn’t have a march to it. So, to make things a bit easier, there isn’t. On another point, as ‘march’ often fits or can be fitted to the title, at least in the ‘alternate titles’ list, do a search just for ‘march’, leaving the drop-down choices alone,
[ all tunes ] [ all keys ], in other words ~

http://www.thesession.org/tunes/index/search?name=march&type_id=&mode_id=

I haven’t finished ‘marking’ all marches quite yet.

On another point, marches have served for dance too, including the quadrilles (square sets/sets) and couple dances, another reason why I tend to file 4/4 marches under the category ‘barndance’. Over time some marches have also been given a little more spice and served as polkas and slides. Melodies, no matter how much we’d like to straight jacket them, are slippery things, especially in the hands of a musician not suffering the starch of dogma and the tyranny of some organizational influences, like the RSCDS.

Leave your starch for the ballroom. I wouldn’t deny you your dress up fun, but the plod and pomp of such things is nae fur me… The telling is that we have and can dance with anyone and find some pleasure there, but some folks are not happy outside of their own strict limitations to the music and dance. They frown on those who don’t step it as they do, or see it as they do, and to me that many frowns is definitely a sign of a ill influence on tradition, wherever it be… Smiles and laughter, and not the forced ones that look like death grins, are a sure sign of health…

With a tune like "The Hundred Pipers" spread all over this planet, and finding air in Australia, South Africa, Germany and Denmark, it is bound to have slightly different accents and uses, as it does on home ground in Scotland and Ireland. But, if you want to march to it, go ahead, give it that treatment, but don’t lay the dogma on us that that’s all it’s good for…

I hope dogma that wasn’t your intent… I’d like to think, for now, that it wasn’t. But just in case anyone else might take that stance, I’ve made my counter to that…

"a little ascerbic" ~ you ben? Never!

"Ascerbic"? Is that the acid in ents?

:-)

"Hundred Pipers"
Key signature: A Major
Submitted on December 19th 2002 by lazyhound.
http://www.thesession.org/tunes/1232

Also played in G Major and D Major, and It wouldn’t surprise me in other majors…

Also known as 100 Pipers, A Hundred Pipers, The Hair Fell Off My Coconut, The Hair Of The Coconut, The Hundred Pipers, I’ll Eat No More Of Your Barley Bread, Single, Wi’ A Hundred Pipers, With A Hundred Pipers.

I’ve also danced to this and played it in a set with slides/single jigs… And I’ve danced quadrilles, country dances and other dances to it as well…

"acid in ents" ~ that might be what causes my problems with occassional indigestion and gas? I’m just going to have to stop eating over ripe ents, or barbecue them till their charcoal… ;-)

I suspect, as said earlier, this will eventually be found by dear Jeremy and moved under the tune…

Curious that eh? "Click to Enter" and you get a blank page… :-/

Try the tracks on the CD, ceol …

I just wonder how often she takes her fiddle along to a session ?…..sounds like another one of these classically-trained violinists exploiting the beauty of the melodies ( and she seems to play mostly slow tunes ) without any connection to the living tradition.
Not to say that’s wrong, of course……although we have had various discussion recently re people posting videos of themselves on Youtube, often with the word ‘celtic’ in the title, who play with very little sign of having encountered the traditional style.
Does anyone remember encountering her at Willie Week, or the Fleadh ?

Ben, I only ever get page one, and when I click I literally only get a blank page… There’s a CD?

I’m old school GP, I was a constant at the Willie Clancy Summer School before the tsunami of set dancing swamped it, was that 1981? I haven’t been back since, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t the want, just not the means, or something drew my attention elsewhere… 8-)

11.) Indian Princess ~ English Country Dance Tune
http://www.celticwindmusic.com/tunes/cw-11.mp3

12.) Sligo Fancy ~ Irish Hornpipes
http://www.celticwindmusic.com/tunes/ab-12.mp3

I want to say "Where’s the meat?" ~ but meaning ‘dance’… Laura, please, go out and at least watch and listen to this music actually being played for its intent, one of them ~ for and to dance… If you can, get out there and join in. The simplest introduction in your area would be contra dancing, and sometimes they’ll even let you join in, sit in with the band. You’ve got technique, but you there’s no clue of understanding in the samples I’ve heard, agreein that MP3 compression doesn’t do anything full justice. It isn’t about how sweet and syrupy you can make the music, it has to have balls too ~ rhythm and cut and drive… I wish you the best, but please, broaden your experiences and include dance in that. There are sessions within your reach to, just go and listen, have a pint and just listen. Your ears, if unplugged from all the preconceptions classical training can clog the senses with. Good luck!!!

I must be tired ~ nothing new ~ I meant to say ~

Your ears, if unplugged from all the preconceptions classical training can clog the senses with, will be your best guide, but movement, moving to the music, making it physical, is also a good way to take it all in… Let go, have fun…

And, interestingly, she started this discussion by telling us we had something wrong…….
Sorry, Laura, but we don’t think you’ve got it.

Oh the hair fell off of ma coconut,
the hair fell off of ma coconut,
the hair fell off of ma coconut,
And how do ye like i baldy?

Laura, you should have taken the time to read the rational for classifying 6/8 marches as jigs. Or at least paused and asked yourself if there might be a reason why it was listed a a jig here. You may not agree with the reason, but a reason does exist as explained above.

As it is your rather bald(y) post comes across as the missionary stepping off the boat to educate the ignorant natives

It is also worth pointing out that this tune may well have started life as a march, but it is frequently played as a jig. When it is a march its a march, when it is a jig its a jig, and when its very bad its horrid.

- Chris

Forgetting your manners, lads…

Welcome to the "Session", Laura.

Posted by .

Don’t panic-just back away slowly…

… and regarding "Hundred Pipers" as a song, here are the lyrics:

Wi’ a hundred pipers, a’ a’, an’ a’,
We’ll up an’ gie them a blaw, a blaw
Wi’ a hundred pipers, a’ a’, an’ a’.
O it’s owre the border awa’, awa’
It’s owre the border awa’, awa’,
We’ll on an’ we’ll march to Carlisle ha’
Wi’ its yetts, its castle an’ a’, an a’.

chorus: Wi’ a hundred pipers, a’ a’, an’ a’,
We’ll up an’ gie them a blaw, a blaw
Wi’ a hundred pipers, a’ a’, an’ a’.

Oh! our sodger lads looked braw, looked braw,
Wi’ their tartan kilts an’ a’, an’ a’,
Wi’ their bonnets an’ feathers an’ glitt’rin’ gear,
An’ pibrochs sounding loud and clear.
Will they a’ return to their ain dear glen?
Will they a’ return oor Heilan’ men?
Second sichted Sandy looked fu’ wae.
An’ mithers grat when they march’d away.

Oh! wha’ is foremos o’ a’, o’ a’,
Oh wha’ is foremost o’ a’, o’ a’,
Bonnie Charlie the King o’ us a’, hurrah!
Wi’ his hundred pipers an’ a’, an ’ a’.
His bonnet and feathers he’s waving high,
His prancing steed maist seems to fly,
The nor’ win’ plays wi’ his curly hair,
While the pipers play wi’an unco flare.

The Esk was swollen sae red an’ sae deep,
But shouther to shouther the brave lads keep;
Twa thousand swam owre to fell English ground
An’ danced themselves dry to the pibroch’s sound.
Dumfoun’er’d the English saw, they saw,
Dumfoun’er’d they heard the blaw, the blaw,
Dumfoun’er’d they a’ ran awa’, awa’,
Frae the hundred pipers an’ a’, an ’ a’.

(and if a hundred of ‘em turned up at our local session, it might well cause the regulars to make a sharp exit!)

I was sort of hoping this would be a Friday joke thread, like "a hundred pipers…walk into a bar" or something like that

Sorry…didn’t mean to preach…was late and I was tired, just joined. Email is actually not the greatest form of communciation…The Hundred Pipers is one of the first tunes I teach fiddle students. It is a march…You should have a march category… An Irish friend plays them all like Irish jigs, including, Atholl Highlanders which is another march).

Welcome to The Session, Laura, don’t be too upset by some of the comments. But regarding marches - making a special category for them would be complicated and maybe impossible, seeing that each category of tunes here represents tunes that all have the same rhythm, and marches are tunes having a number of different rhythms.

Yes, this makes it difficult to search for all the marches here in one go, as one can for the reels or the jigs.

Hi Laura, and welcome! Great playing with you last Wednesday.

This is a copy of what I emailed Guernsey Pete….
The tunes on my CDs are slow, more semi-classical, true..
The slow tunes meshed well with my partner’s piano playing.
(Indian Princess on my CD is contemporary, not a real country dance tune)
I do teach regular fiddle tunes, reels, jigs, etc. and I don’t sound at all "classical" when I play them. I know when I first tried fiddling about 20 years ago, I sounded like a classical violinist playing them. It took awhile for the transition.
I was just trying to make a statement about Hundred Pipers. I had thought it was a jig for a long time and then just found out it was a march. An Irish friend plays these Scottish marches like Irish jigs, but the "feel" is not the same.(Atholl Highlanders, is another march and refers to a Scottish brigade) I didn’t realize that until last year when I played with a Scottish group in Florida when I was visiting down there.

"It took awhile for the transition."

I’m sorry, but, form the tracks on your CD, you haven’t even *started* the transition yet.

And PLEASE stop telling me how to play tunes. You have no clue.

"Atholl Highlanders, is another march and refers to a Scottish brigade" Wow. Well, I never knew that.

Re: “The Hundred Pipers” & “The Athole Highlanders”

It is lovely in every form I’ve heard it, or, or to be more honest, most forms. I love marches too, and the dances that they used to be played for, not just marching and things military.

I enjoyed you and your friend’s take on things, but ~ they are what they are ~ a ‘pleasant’ respite… My inclinations of favour tune wise are similar to dogs. I prefer the working breeds over the jewelry/accessory breeds like poodles and St. Charles Spaniels… That doesn’t mean I’d treat them badly. I wouldn’t. This is just about preferences.

I generally always enjoy a listen to someone enjoying music, and the musical friendship between the two of you is obvious, and precious ~ but my greatest appreciation is for music that at least approximates its intent ~ dance music with the life, lift and rhythm that dance calls for ~ and with airs the articulation of the language and its meaning, intent, context, also about rhythm… The worst excesses to detract from the melody are when things like reverb, vibrato and affectations, including excessive use of ornamentation and slurring and sliding. I find such things tend to take the attention away from the music rather than complementing it…

A friendship in music is a precious thing, you are lucky to have someone to share it with… Someones, including fidkid…

Best of luck in all you do, but hopefully you’ll still consider the suggestion to give dance a try, if you haven’t yet… Welcome to TheSession, and don’t mind the few nut cases that frequent the site, like myself. Failte!

So, you enjoyed them did you, ceolachan? Well, I didn’t.

And, in case anyone is wondering what’s brought this on, I’m wound up by the (apparent from the outset and still continuing) sheer arrogance of the original poster.

"The Hundred Pipers is one of the first tunes I teach fiddle students. It is a march"

Well, you know best, Laura. And, in any case, "Duh-uh!"

I’m so-o-o glad I know nothing.

I know what I’m going to do. I’m going to sign on to a mountaineering site (I know nothing about this, so it should be ideal). I’m going to tell them that climbing the Matterhorn via the Hörnli ridge is the wusses’ way - far too easy. And those pietons? For wusses.

They’ll welcome me with open arms.

Its the first tune I learned on the fiddle too, and many many moons ago, one of the first tunes I learned on the pipes.

Marches… small heading for huge variety, hence the various tempos & time sig’s. Retreat marches, battle marches, parade marches, victory marches, and so on and so on. A somber retreat march would lose its strength and emotion played at the same speed as a victory march.

Or think with your feet..

100 Pipers is one of the most common tunes used within a set played for the gay gordons, change the timing and it just doesnt work , the tune looses its natural momentum (I play better than I spell thankfully ).

A

Ben, I enjoyed them, their friendship in music. I’m a real sop about such things, but it was too much of a pink poodle for me to want more than just a sample. It is easy for me to find something to appreciate amongst what was basically not music I would want to be associated with personally. But I think it is cool for two people to have music to share, even if it isn’t my idea of something I’d want to be part of… Yes, that classical attitude and interpretation of things drives me nuts, as you should know by now… And ‘arrogance’, that can easily push me over the edge…

Reach out, I’ll haul you up, we don’t need the Matterhorn, I know some easy but beautiful climbs in Ireland. Bring your missus. I’m no rock star but I know a few good tunes, and there’s no shortage of well rooted musos to appreciate on that island…

Yes, the arrogance suggested caught me too, but that ‘classical’ ignorance is not unusual. Something in the education of that dogma tends to make those coming out the other end convinced of they know music, and that their sh*t don’t stink… However, I’d prefer to think better of this newbie than that. Maybe it was just how it was dropped on us. Maybe she wasn’t thinking arrogance and was just curious. Yeah, it could have been better put, or she could have stayed around to explain. Then, she did kind of reinforce it a second time telling us IT IS A MARCH!!! YESSSSS?!

I know this tune Gay Gordon’s way, and I know it as a slide, and otherwise. I’ve had fun with all, but accept that others put limitations on themselves, by their own design or by some imposed dogma that it can only exist in one form. I wonder if they’ll segregate us in the afterlife? Those that do it this way to the right, those that do it that way to the left, those that appreciate variety come straight ahead, there’s a friendly session just beyond that rise…

And then there’s the country dance version of it "The Durham Reel"…

Pitons? :-/

Ben, where have you been? It’s all ‘clean climbing’ now, no pitons, no defacement of the rock face…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_climbing

And then there’s ice screws and crampons and you’re probably still expecting those old long ice axes ~ no way ~ it’s all shorties now… ;-)

nice photos, but where are the St. Bernards with the whiskey?

We stayed at the lodge and enjoyed the whiskey… It was a howl!

100 pipers, half a dozen St. Bernards, Sherry casked whiskey and me…. Mmmmmmm!

sounds nice - well with the addition of some of those fancy earplugs that lower the dbs without killing the dynamics…

This has gotten way out of hand. Some of you have been very nasty. This is uncalled for.

My CDS are not meant to be fiddling! There are many Celtic tunes which are not fiddle tunes..Some of them are very beautiful.

I don’t use vibrato in fiddling, except a little bit in airs, now much. Classical vibrato sounds ridiculous. . Performers like Natalie Macmaster and many others do use vibrato for airs,
I do understand that fiddle tunes are dance tunes. In fact I stress that.

Whatever, this list is a waste of time for me. This is it. I am leaving the list.

It’s clear that Laura just got off on the wrong foot here, misunderstanding how the tune database is set up and then posting that misunderstanding as a discussion thread.

Given her reaction, I suspect she’s right when she says "this list is a waste of time for me."

No doubt true, unless she’s willing to learn from the many people here who know a thing or two about "Celtic" music….

Posted .

Thats a shame Laura. There is a very small number of thouroughly unpleasant individuals here , who are unfortunately quite vocal .Unfortunately, this site doesnt appear to be moderated and they get away with this kind of thing regularily. They partake of every oportunity to insult and denegrate others, and will back each other up. They know who they are. They are a disgrace.

Ionannas

I think you might have got a different reaction if you’d posted this discussion in the comments section for the tune, where Jeremy likes us to post this kind of stuff that relates to specific tunes. Nobody would have batted an eyelid then. There are hundreds of comments in the tunes section along the lines of "this is a schottische, not a reel as listed" blah-blah-blah. Fair enough that you didn’t know the session "unspoken rules". Anyway, it hardly matters now if you’re going to leave anyway. Oh well, I wasted my breath. I should be working anyway.

LOL, Ionannas has sussed us out! The evil axis of thesession.org.

:-O

Posted .

Mea culpa!

Someone posted this: "This is a Scottish march, not a jig—march of the 49th Field Artillery. Many Scottish marches are in 6/8 time.

Laura Martin
fiddle teacher
www.fiddleandviolin.com"

Why does this get 52 replies?

LOL, why 52 replies? Because yet another "Celtic" violinist has stumbled in and tried to educafy us traddie eejits. See, we’re a dumb, unpleasant lot who can’t learn, even from our betters. So instead we carry on like this….

Posted .

I just wish people would refrain from replying to posts that have absolutely no value, like this one.

I’m sorry to have to say this, but I found the few samples I played from those CDs totally atrocious.

The version of O’Carolan’s Draught is like someone reading Shakespeare in a dull newsreader monotone.

Please, please, please find someone who knows how Irish Traditional Music is played and listen to thm before you ‘teach’ them to any more students.

Eno :(

Laura is a lovely person and far, far from arrogant. She has always struck me as someone who is passionate about learning, and generous with what she has learned. She does have the habit of speaking plainly and directly, which in type might come across as trying to be authoritative or arrogant. Her only crime is not putting her comment in the tunes section. Stand down, people. Jeez.

Fidkid, it’s possible that people are objecting to someone coming in without sussing out the situation and revealing their own less-than-deep understanding of "Celtic" music while appearing to stoop to enlighten us.

When it comes to light she’s a classically trained violinist who claims to play a wide range of fiddle styles and calls herself an "Irish musician" on her web site, this only reinforces the stereotype.

Bit of a piece of china in a bull fighting arena, if you don’t mind turning the metaphor on it’s head….

Posted .

Isnt music supposed to be open to every individuals interpretation ?

Would music not become dull if we, all of us, played every tune the exact same way ?

There are tunes out there, vast amounts of them, that can take a change of tempo yet still retain the traditional playing they represent - new rigged ship & full rigged ship for examples, both turn a hand to the slow air & if the traditional shetland down bow is retained both tunes sing.

Rather than nit pick over who plays what more correctly than others, better to accept that we dont all see a tune the same way, its these variables that make traditional music such a fasinating subject and one where there will always be something new or different to learn.

A

Laura - welcome to the Session (that is, if you’re still here!). Certainly, I can understand your initial confusion about "A Hundred Pipers" and "Athole Highlanders" being classified as jigs. However, a lot of people subsequently went to quite a lot of trouble to explain the reason for this to you, that is, that "marches" exist in a whole range of time signatures - and yet you still persisted. Not the best way to make friends here! Are these two tunes marches? Yes. Are these tunes jigs, also yes. There is no perfect way of classify tunes. Whichever way you choose to do it, it is compromise. Jeremy, the founder of this website has chosen one particular way to do it. That’s his prerogative, as the founder of the site. If you don’t like his classification, you’re free to classify tunes whichever way you choose on your own site. And by the way, you are also in danger of upsetting that fine body of men, the Athole Highlanders, because the latter is Scottish regiment - not a " Scottish brigade". (I don’t think that their colonel would be very happy about being demoted to the rank of brigadier!).

One can think of the existing tune categories on this site as trains parked in parallel at a railway terminus, each at its own platform (2/4, 6/8, whatever).

A train representing marches could only occupy the several platforms required by coming in sideways!

Hi Folks,

I’d like to apologise, especially to Laura, for being unjustifiably grumpy yesterday & reading more into things than was actually written. I could have left out a good portion of my post and it would have been for the better.

Cheers - Chris

Don’t wish to be unkind, but "Celtic Wind" does sound a bit of a problem name for a music group :)

Will, you’re completely bonkers! Really made me smile, though.

-D

Oh, and bc_box_player, that was absolutely my reaction. I just didn’t want to be that nasty. :-)

i thought this all sounded a bit cruel - then I listened to "O’Carolan’s Draught". It’s just plain…wrong - but a great example of "how not to do it" and valuable for that.

… that last from one of the nicest people on this site …

:-/

… and if anyone was wondering where the "49th Field Artillery" bit came from (see the initial post of this discussion), apparently its a Canadian regiment that’s "authorised" to play "A Hundred Pipers" using a pipe band.

http://www.artillery.net/new/soch6.html

So the next time you’re in Canada, and hear a military pipe band playing that tune, you can impress the locals by remarking: "Ah, that’s probably the 49th Field Artillery Pipe Band!"

… no knowlege is ever wasted …!

Quick anecdote, and a true story. I was once walking past Buckingham Palace, and someone from a party of Americans stopped me and asked me which regiment would be changing the guard on that day. They even had a tourist booklet, showing the uniforms of the various regiments.The guards were already approaching - but way off in the distance. But I could hear the tune nevertheless - it was "St Patrick’s Day". So I squinted in the direction of their approach, and replied "The Irish Guards". When the guards drew level with us, the Americans checked their book, and sure enough, I was right. I was then complemented on my London knowledge and amazing eyesight (anything but that on either count, if truth be told!).

Aww, Behnall.1, I’m just exercising my much-underused dark side…!

Careful, Mark, or you won’t get to play one o’ they celestial buggers!

Bonkers but happy, eh?

;-)

Posted .

Laura - 100 Pipers was also the regimental march of the now disbanded Royal West Kent Regiment of the British Army. Many Regimental marches are in jig time (6/8) For example The Young May Moon, St Patrick’s Day, The Lincolnshire Poacher,The Kinnegad Slasher were all used as Regimental Marches at one time or another. Even Garryown was used by the Fighting 69th in the USA. All these tunes make good jigs. As someone who over the past fifty years played drums in various marching bands I can tell you that the 6/8 tempo was always favoured by the marchers as the best tempo to march to. Somehow it puts a swagger in the step. I know it was Hollywood, but even in the Glenn Miller Story it was only when the band broke into St Louis Blues (6/8 time) did the marching soldiers smarten up and get it together. However I wouldn’t advise playing St Louis Blues in a selection with 100 Pipers. Don’t think it would work somehow…..(whistles softly to himself)…..mmm…….maybe.

Nice one FR…

Re: Hundred Pipers - the Joke

Early on in this thread, Nate expressed disappointment that this discussion didn’t relate to a "100 Pipers" joke. So here’s one:

An Irish army is marching into battle, supported by the playing of 100 pipers. The Irish attack is met by a fearful onslaught from the enemy. In the course of the onslaught, the Irish warriors are progressively killed by enemy spears and arrows, and only one piper is left playing.

So the chieftain turns to the remaining piper, and says: "Fer God’s sake, why don’t ye play something that they like!"

Good One!!!

Not always an easy question to answer Mix… ;-)