Lifton Violin Cases

Lifton Violin Cases

Does anyone know the history of the Lifton Manufacturing Company. They made high end violin and guitar cases. Does anyone know when they went out of business?

Re: Lifton Violin Cases

mcdevincabe

Thank you for your quick reply.

I bought a nice violin recently on Ebay from a seller in the United States. The violin happens to come with a mint condition Lifton alligator case.

Unfortunately for me but fortunately for alligators there is an international ban on the export/import of alligator products. If I can prove that the case was manufactured prior to the passing of CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species) treaty I may be able to import it to Canada. CITES was passed in Canada on July 3 1975.

So, if Lifton Manufacturing Co. went out of business prior to that date, I can prove that the case predates the CITES agreement and will have grounds to apply for the necessary import permit. Whew!

Are there any Lifton Manufacturing Co. historians out there?

I spent a little time on Google and couldn’t find anything about when they went out of business, but I didn’t see any cases made after ‘65. They seem to be best known for their Gibson guitar cases.

There is no way that case was made after 1975, but I’m not sure how you would prove that. The best option I can think of is to get an appraisal, but it may be tough to find an antique instrument expert who knows those cases…plus you don’t have it in hand :(

Can you have the seller ship the instrument in a different case? Or maybe you can pick it up on the US side and smuggle it in…you’re Canadian so you can’t be that far from the border :)

Sir Marklar, thanks for doing the research. That is very helpful. I am not good at border crossings. I cannot lie convincingly. So I am afraid that I will have to find a legal way to import the case. But if Lifton went out of business prior to 1975 I know that I have the right to import the case legally. Once again thanks for your efforts.

Perhaps someone reading this will be able to pinpoint the year that Lifton Manufacturing Co. went out of business. It would be an enormous help to me.

Lifton Manufacturing closed in late 1973. The company was started by Maurice Lifton and after his death, run by the family until they closed it in 1973. The family still owns the name and the copyrights.