I need some help. I’m getting curious about these “concertina” things….

I need some help. I’m getting curious about these “concertina” things….

I’ve been listening to alot of concertina lately and I really want to check out one these mysterious button boxes…

trouble is that I’ve done some skulking around on the Internet and people seem to say that the cheap concertinas are great piles of **** and a waste of money. The problem is, cheap is all I can afford!

Believe me, if I had a pile of money laying around collecting dust, I’d be in the car headed for the big city where they actually have concertinas for sale.

but I don’t. I only have a couple hundred bucks American that I buried in the yard when I heard our banks were going to fail.

So my question is, no kidding around, if I just wanted to try the concertina on for size, so to speak, what should I do?

can I get parts and just make one?

should I just get a 20 button C/G anglo and have at it?

is there such a thing as a 30 button Anglo that’s under $500 that won’t fall apart right away?

I figure this is a good group of people to ask. Some of you might be after the same thing or been down this road already

Re: I need some help. I’m getting curious about these “concertina” things….

In a word, yes.

Check out Concertina Connection’s Rochelle. It’s the best of the cheap learning Concertinas. You may also want to visit the forum at Concertina.net for (a lot) more discussion on this exact topic.

thanks for the tip on the Rochelle, Peter

but isn’t that an English Concertina, though?

not knowing the flaming difference, would that be the box to use for this music? I guess I never ran across that model because I was searching for anglo concertinas

can anybody comment on the difference between English and Anglo concertinas for playing Irish music?

Most people use Anglo. English ones have more buttons and each button can only make one note, whereas Anglos have fewer buttons and each button makes a different note depending on which direction the bellows are moving in.

The Rochelle is definitely an Anglo. I got myself one about 6 months back to learn on and have been delighted with it. It’s bigger and heavier than most Anglos, but I’ve had no problems with it, the sound is good, everything works well and I can now play a few tunes on it. I’ve got nothing to compare the Rochelle with as until yesterday it was the only concertina I had ever played (and the one I tried yesterday was quite a bit more expensive), but I reckon it was a great purchase.

There are three systems of concertina.
Anglo,English and Duet,all of them are suited to playing all kinds of music apart from classical music designed for harpsichord where one hand is supposed to play louder than theother.they are all suited to ITM.There are four different layouts for the DUET .The Duet has the advantage that it often has an octave overlap in unison on left and right,this gives much scope for different fingering options
.the duet is often played chords on one side melody the other,but it doesnt have to be played like this,it can be played in a linear fashion,taking advantage of the octave overlap,and using doublestops,and occasional bass notes .
three layouts are like the English,same note in and out[]Jeffries system,may be [so long since I have seen one]like the anglo]

Posted .

You press one of many buttons which are connected to levers which open an air passage which makes little brass fixed pitch reeds vibrate. It’s way way too complicated to make music with. Not to mention that it’s impossible to articulate the music properly. And, of course, it’s a horrid "parp" kind of noise that really should be confined to children’s television

Posted .

The Anglo concertina is commonly used for dance music because of the naturally rhythmic sound. Each button produces a different note on the push and pull, and has treble notes on the right and bass on the left hand end.

The English concertina is fully chromatic and each button plays the same note on both push and pull of the bellows. The scale comes by alternating notes from each end of the instrument, which makes it easy to play fast runs. This system tends to suit players who read music as the buttons line up exactly with written music with the stave lines on the left hand and spaces on the right.

The above is just a few random thoughts I had on the subject, albeit a "cut and paste" job from the "Hobgoblin" website.

Many say the Anglo suits people who play by ear, it is a mouth organ with buttons, push and pull, instead of blowing and sucking.

I love concertinas, and have often looked at Rochelle as they have a good reputation for a reasonably priced instrument. Most cheap concertinas have poor reeds or whatever, and do not last.

A top class instrument would cost a lot, but who needs a top class instrument at a session?

Do I take it you are not overly fond of the concertina, Mr Llig?

Yeah, it’s the "parp" thing. Especially the really loud "parps" that concertina players seem to accompany themselves with. It’s a horrid thing. And you simply can’t play a proper slow roll on the things, least I’ve never heard it done.

Plus, it has a horrid connotation with dreary self preening English beardy folkies who think they know about Irish music. I’m not being personal dickins, there’s bloody loads of em.

However, I can listen to Edel Fox all day. It never ceases to amaze me how talent can overcome adversity.

Posted .

A couple of the factors which make a good concertina are speed and volume. These are what is needed in a session and lesser instruments do not cope. A Rochelle will teach you the basics of concertina, and could be used in a singing environment. They are not good for playing tunes with other people. If you have any previous musical experience or talent you will outgrow it in 3 months. The great value of a Rochelle is it is better built than anything else in its price range
and you can test the waters without having to invest a large amount of money.

The "naturally rhythmic" idea about Anglos one sees quoted is based on the fact that reversing the bellows, which one has to do more often on an Anglo, can emphasise rhythm because of the effect it has on the incoming note. This ignores that music is not written so that these reversals occur naturally on rhythm points. You would be safer writing that bellows reversals make rhythm more difficult. Every now and again ones comes across a small phrase that confirms the myth, the first bar of Miss McLeods for instance, but its a long way between drinks.

Posted by .

My son got started on a Rochelle ($300). He was already quite a decent fiddler. After a few months he moved up to a Tedrow ($2000 plus) for the faster action and reeds. The Rochelle served him well, and we sold it for not much less than we payed. If I hadn’t been selling to a friend, we might have actually sold for higher. The Tedrows now sell for more than we payed. My point is that at least from the Rochelle up you don’t need to view money in as lost.

I like the sound of a tina. In any event llig and I can agree to agree on Edel-she is magical.

Dan

it is possible to play proper fidde rolls on the english concertina,and to a lesser extent the anglo and the duet.
a proper fiddle roll,is b c# b a b or sometimes bdbab,or bc nat bab,the notes are there.
on the english concertina they can all be played in one direction,similiar to the one bow direction used on the fiddle
. on the anglo its possible to play dedc#d all in one direction.and acouple of others.
MichealGill,you are exposing your lack of knowledge..
EdelFox is very good but she doesnt play proper fiddle rolls,she does something else whichg sounds great too.

Posted .

show me

Posted .

Michael Gill, show yourself.
How do we know you are not a self-loathing self-preening beardie english folkie ?
Give us a picture !
As for both ‘parps’ and complexity, you wouldn’t be talking about the pipes again, would you ? Are you telling me they are simple ?

I’m not interested in hard or simple. But I am interested in whether an Irish sounding slow roll can be done on a concertina. I’ve never heard it done, But I’m an incorrigible optimist.

Posted .

"It’s way way too complicated to make music with. Not to mention that it’s impossible to articulate the music properly."

I think that’s what you said? :p

Posted by .

Yes, I did say impossible. But I’d be more than happy to retract

Posted .

I am too busy at the moment preparing material for a tour of sicily,but in about ten days sometime after oct 7when Iam not so busy,I will do so.

Posted .

Excellent. I look forward to it. A nice slow jig please.

Posted .

Well … I just listened to it and it was so good, I forgot to listen out for the slow/long rolls. So I had to listen to it again.

Sorry, no long/slow rolls.

I realy love her playing, so inventive and flowing and lovely

Posted .

Nate Ryan..you might be interested on the link I’ve posted on ‘Your Favourite Utube vids’ Some lovely concertinas on there.

Oct 18

I’m still waiting

Posted .