Buying tin-whistles in bulk.

Buying tin-whistles in bulk.

I’ve been asked to source around 100 tin-whistles for a primary school and was wondering could anyone give me some advice on where to get the best value? Will probably be aiming to buy the least expensive Generation whistles. Am based in Dublin. Thanks.

Posted by .

Re: Buying tin-whistles in bulk.

Generation whistles are perfectly all right. But you’ll be needing a pair of ear-plugs too!

Clark sweetones would be much gentler on the ears. They are great little whistles.

Theres a music shop in Clondalkin, Monastery music, they will give you a good deal!

>Generation whistles are perfectly all right.
nicholas, they’d be fine for this purpose but to be honest they are just cheapo jobs and don’t even begin to compare to an Overton or a Sindt. Once you’ve tried one of those you’d never go back to Generations or the other cheapo ones. Anyway that doesn’t answer the question asked here, but I thought I’d share this with you.

Really? I’ve a Sindt and an Overton but still prefer to play my Generations. The character and response of all 3 whistle brands are totally different so I think its not much use comparing their merits in an absolute sense.

I would agree with KML. I don’t care what anybody says, there is no comparison between the playability of a cheap whistle and the top end whistles. Yes, some great whistle players stick resolutely to Generations, usually tweaked, but the vast majority play top end whistles. The control on an Overton (for example) is light years ahead of a Generation. A Generation has an authentic Irish sound but as far as I’m concerned that’s all it’s got. Mary Bergin can make it sound great but 99% of all other players just sound wildly out of tune. Funny thing is many of them don’t seem to hear it.

Yes, that’s my experience anyway. I’ve found Generations Feadogs etc all slightly out of tune with themselves and have a weak sound. Gens etc are easy to play though.
Gens didn’t used to seem to be intrinsically out of tune. Maybe the mass production system became even mass production or maybe my ear has got better at picking up out of tune-ness. so maybe your Generation is of an older ….err… generation….

Generations or Feadogs will do you fine in national School

www.feadog.ie/

or the bulkbuy page :

https://www.feadog.ie/buy.asp

I much prefer the Generation to the Sindt as well. No tuning issues.

Posted .

Yes, Generations are fine for schools and some may stick with them for life.

I don’t know, the vast majority of whistle players I know and like to listen to prefer the old off the shelf Generations and Feadogs, a very small number in addition to that use Cillian O Briain modified ones and an even smaller percentage use Sindts. I very rarely, outside tourist season, see any other whistles played. odd isn’t it?

Posted .

It is an odd thing kilfarboy, maybe it’s a regional thing. Here in north Scotland you very rarely see anything other than Overtons, MK, Chieftains (which I think are pointless) and the occasional Burke. And I’ve only heard a handful of whistlers playing a Generation that I actually like. No accounting for taste I suppose :-)

I think it is a regional thing, as you say. Or a "national" thing, ie, I haven’t really seen any Irish players playing the new-fangled posh high end ones. All that said I still much prefer my Overton.

Try Tony Dixon in Bideford, North Devon. I have been playing his nickel D since he gave it to me as a freebie prototype and I can honestly say it is the best whistle I have ever had in 30 years. He’s a local, small manufacturer, but his stuff is all over the world.

info@tonydixonmusic.co.uk

I’d go with the Megs (Clarke’s I think) Mostly in tune and very cheap. May I ask why you need 100? I bought a few to hand out in classes but 100 sounds like the deptartment of Education!

barnes and mullins no longer owns Generation last I heard - talk to Dave Martin international Email:davemartin-intl@tiscali.co.uk .

Megs are crap whistles - good enough for kids but quiet enough if you are one of those that noodles all the tunes you haven’t learned and don’t want to be heard. None of them are in tune - to anything, let alone themselves.

Gens are either good .. or bad - they are easy to fix if they are bad.

Posted by .

BTW - if you are in Dublin - why not go for the local product? Feadogs are nice enough - plus they have a schools program in Ireland and you wil lget good prices and a lot of support.

The only thing wrong with Feadogs is that the G is almost always gurgly and indistinct in both octaves - the poster-putty tweak fixes that almost every time - and a good one becomes a masterpiece - with the poster-putty and maybe a little blunting of the blade with the finest sandpaper you can find. Every time I get one of those it gets nicked or begged off of me - so I’m waiting to find my next one.

Posted by .

PPS - In defense of the clarke company - the original tin whistles can be coaxed into being damn good instruments and the Sweetone "Celtic" is almost always good (for a meg).

Posted by .

I realize that I am coming to this thread quite late. But in the interest of future seekers who might happen upon this discussion in a search, I am posting the following information.

I’ve recently started a new website called Pennywhistles for Schools — www.pennywhistlesforschools.com — where I offer to provide schools, clubs, and youth groups with a Clarke Meg tin whistle and an instruction book for just $5 per student. To make the package even more attractive in this time school budget cutbacks, I am throwing in a 44-minute instruction CD absolutely free as a download.

So far the teachers are quite happy with the Clarke Meg and feel that it is very a good deal for the price. And it is encouraging to see that more music educators are considering the tin whistle as an alternative to the recorder.

The book that I offer as part of the $5 whistle/book package is called "Pennywhistle for Beginners." It is a 32-page abridged version of my book "The Clarke Tin Whistle." I still recommend "The Clarke Tin Whistle" tutor for adult beginners. But school budgets are so tight that using the original 80-page book would be out of the question. So I created the 32-page "Pennywhistle for Beginners" to address this budgetary issue. The abridged book has all the beginning lessons from the Clarke book, plus a handful of the simpler tunes — 29 pieces in all. The Clarke book has 83 tunes total.

If you know of any schools or organizations who might be interested in teaching the tin whistle, please send them to www.pennywhistlesforschools.com.

Thanks!

Bill Ochs
The Pennywhistler’s Press
New York, NY

This is my first post here and I did not realize that the links included above would not be live without the inclusion of http://. Here for the convenience of anyone who does not want to cut and paste is the link to The Pennywhistles for Schools home page:

http://pennywhistlesforschools.com

Thread’s over 2 years old, but thanks, Mozle, for your posts!

Posted .