For Sale: Dark Grey Paolo Soprani

For Sale: Dark Grey Paolo Soprani

4 Voice 2 Couplers / BC Tuning / Immaculate Condition / Dark Grey in Colour with white beading and four corners on the edges of the bellows / Pearloid grille (Not the aluminium grille) Very rare and a good investment / Please contact me through thesession.org via email or ring 07775797638
Thank you

Re: For Sale: Dark Grey Paolo Soprani

Just to let you know, however real this sale might be, we have already been warned about people with ‘no history’ on this site suddenly showing up to sell something… There have been a number of such ‘new memberships’ followed by something offered for sale… :-/

Dark grey with pearloid grill? Any chance of a photo or two to see the condition and the exact model.. Or is it the case with the grey Paolo Sopranis that there isnt need to put a picture up any more as they sell anyway??

Posted by .

They are ‘highly’ prized…

I can totally understand and appreciate your concern ceolachan, yes I am a new member of the session.org but I would like to confim this is an authentic sale, and it is for personal reasons I have decided to sell this gem of an instrument. Also, I have read many previous discussions on this site regarding grey boxes, so I thought it would be a good place to advertise.

With regards to the box, yes it is dark grey with a pearloid grille, the cuttings on the grille are like diamond shapes, that is the best way to describe it. As well having ‘Paolo Soprani’ inscribed on the box, it has ‘Italia’ inscribed just below the bass buttons. The side of the box (where the air button is) is made out of wood, i do not know if that is an original feature or not though. Hopefully that will give you a better idea as to what type of model it is.

hello, where is the box being sold? I’m a B/C player in the US

07775797638 ~ this is a UK mobile/cell phone number…

The best bet would be for a UK sale, to view, and to have and verify some history…

boxplayer123 ~ what price are you hoping to sell this for? Has there ever been any work done on it, which one would expect wtih an instrument this old, and if so, who was the repairperson?

History wise, who was/were the previous owner/s?

I don’t understand why there is so much hostility towards new posters letting this forum know about quality instruments for sale. Considering all the trolling thats become rampant here and all the nonsense posts, why attack somenone who at least seems legit? What i mean is I could probably post the word ‘dots’ and nothing more, and and after two days the thread would have 50+ posts. Having "history on this site" means bugger all as far as I’m concerned….

I don’t see any hostiliy, just wanting to be sure the sale is worth the price ! Like I said in another thread,
http://www.thesession.org/discussions/19846/comments#comment415625
boxes do not tend to become better with age, unless they’ve been very well kept and repaired, so before putting a high price (from what I heard, some of these old boxes go up to 5000 bucks… or more), I do think it wise to know everything you can on the instrument : previous owner(s), repairers, if it’s been retuned, if the reeds are original… here we have only a descripion, and no price…

Björn ~ It is not ‘hostility’ but sense, and offering a warning to be wary. Maybe you are not so experienced in this department? There have been a lot of bogus threads like this, and they tend to multiply around Christmas time, and they will often offer up prizes like this, whatever the instrument, and while thiis site has not suffered that so much, the problem is universal in this Internet swamp. Some of the more obvious ones have been deleted shortly afterwards, but that doesn’t stop them from coming back with a new name… As said, ‘Chiff & Fipple’ have a greater insidence of this than we do.

It is generally advised to be wary of someone coming on ‘brand new’ and joining just to advertise an instrument for sale. And, sadly, Christmas is a hot time for scams and scamsters…

boxplayer123 ~ another way of offering proof, if you are a member of the club of ITM, would be to have any members of ours you play music with and who have been on site contributing for a couple of years, to come here and offer some support of your sale, and maybe to even offer another opinion on the instrument… That and ‘history’ would help your cause.

I would never be against an instrument finding a deserving and appreciative home, or a fair sale being made…

Björn ~ reasoned concern ~

boxplayer123
http://www.thesession.org/members/51883/history

All history begins December 4th, 2008

Except for this, started on the same date, everything else is 0… That is why the ‘take care’ contributions were added here…

This makes more sense ~ & the poster has history here:

Discussion: For Sale: Newer Red Paolo Soprani Elite 1 B/C Tuning
# Posted on December 5th 2008 by mellow_bellows
http://www.thesession.org/discussions/19966

I spoke with the seller today and was told this is a ‘52, has the original reeds, is in immaculate condition, and is priced at 8,500 Euros, firm - which translates to roughly US$11,000 at current exchange rates…

I’ve since recieved a pleasant email from the poster giving some relevant history and the same quote, courtesy of boxplayer123:

- the price is 8,500 euro.

- i have had the box for 2years now and didn’t need to get any work done on it, but as far as i am aware the bellows have been replaced and the work and tuning completed by Ronnie Bamber (2-row player & accordion repairer/tuner) in Co. Antrim (Cullybackey).

- the previous owner was a neighbour of mine who i didnt even know had an interest in irish music, never mind own an accordion, he had it for 18 years, but previous to that i am unsure.

- i am based in the north of ireland.

- if you wish to see some photographs of the box i would be happy to oblige, please just send me your email address.

regards - boxplayer123

I know its not relevant but the self appointed guardian of this thread ‘Ceolachan’ really needs to learn how to spell his own name…
Ceol + Ólachán = ‘ceoláchán’ not ‘ceolachan’
The smaller details do really matter just like the history of the box and the repairers! sorry ceoláchán but somebody not telling you the history of a box is just as annoying to us Irish speakers as someone who claims to have a name ‘as gaeilge’ but cant seem to spell their own name.

Posted by .

csparpd ~ when I first came on site here the bits over the top didn’t register and caused a strange diamond shape blob to appear, and that still survives in some cases, such as for tune names, but, now it shows, at least here. That’s good. It was a nickname given to me by a speaker, and explained, not written out. Thanks for the information ~ ceoláchán…

Chooosing to not thing that was your intended inflection, ‘dogma’ is one of the greater damages eating away at this language, and minority languages worldwide. I have family that are very adamant about how things should be, and fighting against ‘borrowed terms’ from other languages, such as English, and preferring those invented to replace them… It is a crazy thing. While I love the language, I admit I’m useless, but I keep trying to learn more… I like those little flicks of accent over a letter, and other diacritic marks… I particularly like the ‘roof’ and the little squggle used for German… :-D

I take it, as few ‘native speakers’ are so wound up about such things, that your ‘school taught’?

Oops! "you’re"…