Simple fiddle sets for the novice?

Simple fiddle sets for the novice?

hello
a dear young friend of mine has expressed an interest in playing two or three multi-tune sets with my current project at a gig next month. They have played a bit but alas are not very well versed in Celtic trad. Could some of the fine fiddlers (better yet some of the teachers we have here) reccomend some appropriate combinations of "simple but good" tunes for my friend. She is really playing at a novice level at this point. Ideally these tunes would be accompanied nicely by flute/whistles and bodhran. Thanks!
FW

Re: Simple fiddle sets for the novice?

Two or three sets may be a lot for them to bite off in less than a month. I’d stick with jigs and polkas. I’m horrible with polka names, so I can’t tell you which ones to do in a set, but here are some ideas for simple jig sets that work well on both flute/whistle and fiddle and at slower speeds, And most of these should be in the tune archives here.

Kerfunteun Jig (in D)/Stan Chapman’s (in A, but there are no Gsharps)/Saddle the Pony (in G)

Joy of My Life (G)/Swallowtail Jig (Em)/Tobin’s Favorite (D)

Lilting Banshee (A dorian)/Out on the Ocean (G)/Rambling Pitchfork (D)

Posted .

Another option is to do a nice arrangement of Si Beag Si Mor, with the whistle starting, then add the flute, then the fiddle and bodhran together. That way you’re only doing one tune but stretching it out a bit. And layering the instruments on like that is always a crowd pleaser. If this really is a novice player, I’d keep it as simple as possible. Si Beag is easy to learn, works well on fiddle and flute, and can be played slowly, so no worries about going faster than they’re comfortable.

Posted .

Orange Flute followed by Lilbulero then Pope’s Reel

Callums Road then The Hut on Staffin Island are pretty good and are fine played at a fairly slow speed

Two nice sets of simple jigs would be the Rambly Pitchfork, East of Glendart, and The Rose in the Heather.

and

The Kilfenora Jig (aka The Old Favourite), then The Ship in Full Sail, and Out on the Ocean.

They’re all nice little jigs that shouldn’t be too difficult for a beginner, but they all have a lovely feel to them too.

Comhaltas have published two volumes of session tune sets (Foinn Seisi

Some of my aunt’s favorites are the Rakes of Kildare (D) to the Coleraine (D), Off She Goes (d) to Smash the Windows (d) to Haste to the Wedding (d); King of the Fairies (E aeolian) to Rights of Man (e aeolian) to Off to California (g major); and the Lover’s Waltz (g major).

Lover’s is a sweet Jay Ungar tune that is very haunting, and sounds great when played with the chords behind it. We play it twice through as written and then the third round, move it up a fifth to D major. Very lovely, and guaranteed to make listeners sigh.

I’ll attempt to email it to you….never played with ABC before so we shall see…

Let me know about a session? —Lyd

Kesh - - Merrily Kiss the Quaker - - Irish Washerwoman

-dogma