case for a harp?

case for a harp?

Does anyone have experience on the Ray Doherty harp cases?

I’m a new harpist, a proud owner of a beautiful 30-string lever harp, and I’m looking for a good case for it. Because my harp was made by a private luthier, I would need the case to be custom made to my harp’s measurements.

How pricey exactly are those Doherty cases? Are there any other makers in Europe worth considering?

Thanks,

Nora

Re: case for a harp?

As a musician frequently out with various instruments, I do cherish them highly, and try and keep them as pristine as possible, despite the inevitable odd knock.
However the few harpists I know almost invariably use some sort of sleeping-bag type arrangement, even someone who makes his own immaculate instruments.
The questions really are; how often will you be carrying your harp around ? Who will be handling it ? What is the cost of a harp-case as a percentage of the harps’ cost ?
A custom-made case might be much of the cost of your instrument. Is that worth it ?

These folks make custom cases:
http://www.markwoodstrings.com/harp_cases.html

you need to make a tracing of the harp, they have instructions on how at the site you can send for, or call them. they also carry strings for all types harps for less than the makers, usually about 1/3 less. That can really add up on harp strings if you ned to get a spare set. Dusty Ravenna 34 sets are $95 from them, $155 I think from Dusty. Limerick26, low C set, is $69 and $95 from Musicmakers. I just built that harp and needed a spare set. My granddaughter’s Folkcraft Highland Sr. is $140 or so from Folkcraft, $65 from them…and on and on. Good strings too!

I can make a case for a harp, your honor!
It is a lovely instrument with a long history in folk music around the world. An upstanding member of any musical group where it appears. An instrument well suited for both calming and energetic melodies….
What’s that? You want a case you can put it in?
Never mind……
;-)

Hmm… I’m not sure if I made my point clear.

Guernsey Pete: Yes, I have a carrier bag for the harp, but as I am already a neurotic fiddler, I would want something sturdier to put my harp in while travelling with it. Also, I live in Finland, so the cold, long winter we have is definitely a factor that would make even the most carefree harp owner to search something more sub-zero resisting than the sleeping-bag solution you refer to :) :)

Irisnevins: I’m looking for a hard case for the harp, I fortunately already have a carrier bag for it. Thanks for the strings info :)

Al: Tehee :)

So, any more info, anyone??

case for a harp?
On the one hand….
(Ill get my coat….)

In the US, Colorado Case Company makes nice cases. I have two (different sizes) suitable for airline travel and with wheels. They are custom made but sometimes have patterns already for some harps. EH
www.coloradocase.com

Irish Harp made by Clark harp co Syracuse New York 1915. Does anyone know anything about it. It might be for sale.

Hi Nora,

I had a case made by him for my Pilgrim Clarsach. It’s been flown to Sardinia and Portugal and has survived both of those trips. It’s very well made - you just provide an outline of the harp and send it to him and he does the rest. The case has nice aluminium channels and fittings, with a leather handle etc. I think it cost me EUR 400 or something like that, about 4 years ago. It’s quite lightweight (which is good) and pretty study, with high-density foam inside. He even supplies an engraved plate with your details, which goes on the outside of the case.

If you want this by a certain deadline (ie, to fly somewhere) make sure you agree that with him as I had a bit of worry that it would get to me on time.

One point worth considering (again, if you fly with it): check the maximum measurements allowed by your carrier. A 30-string harp shouldn’t require a case that exceeds the usual dimensions, but mine (for a 36-string Pilgrim) does in fact exceed Ryanair’s dimensions by about 8cm in one direction. It’s not been a problem, but worth checking that he can make it to within airline tolerances, if that’s what you’re doing with it.