sessions in Kerry on the Iveragh Peninsula? (near Cahircaveen)

sessions in Kerry on the Iveragh Peninsula? (near Cahircaveen)

Hi:
I’m spending a month at an artist’s residency on the southwestern tip of the Iveragh peninsula in Kerry, starting August 9th, at the Cill Rialaig Artist’s Colony on Bolus Head. The closest town is Cahircaveen (closest village is Ballinskelligs).
I’m wondering if anyone knows where I can find some nice sessions and/or set dancing in pubs? I was there 2 years ago and had a great time playing in sessions in the area, but it’s likely all changed now. (I’m willing to drive a bit for a good session as well….to Valentia, Kenmare etc,)
Any help is much appreciated!
~aoife

Posted by .

Re: sessions in Kerry on the Iveragh Peninsula? (near Cahircaveen)

Dingle pubs used to be terrific, but, as I got in trouble on this site for pointing out once, I think that good music has in unfortunate measure (unfortunate for the tourists anyway) been driven back to peoples’ homes by the commercial & mediocre stuff that passes for Kerry in the pubs these days. AFAIK there is a ferry that runs from Cahirciveen across to Dingle. Have a pint on Flaherty’s for me, if you get there - Flahertys themselves are good musicians.

Again Dingle rather than Iveragh, but if Brendan Begley is around he often plays (or did) in the family pub in Baile na nGall - Ballydavid. I actually saw him play in the "Other" pub too once. I didn’t ask.

This may be dated - last time I was in either Iveragh or Dingle was about 10 years ago.

The ferry service from Cahirciveen to Dingle ended some five or so years ago, SLL.

Doesn’t The Moorings in Portmagee still have music and set dancing on Friday and Sunday nights?

I don’t think there’s anything happening in Valentia at the moment, but I’d be happy to be proved wrong.

Thanks to all for your suggestions…Henk, I will contact Marian about the sessions in the area…she’s likely to know. I met her at a session at Carineen’s and it was good fun.
And Floss, I hope you’re right about the set dancing at the Morrings…I went 2 years ago and it was great! I’ll contact the Moorings and see what they say….cheers,
aoife

Posted by .

It’s across the bay from Cathair Saidhbhín (Cahirciveen) and it may be "trendy" or "touristy"…I’m not real sure. But some years ago the wife and I had a wonderful time at An Droichead Beag in An Daingean (Dingle).

http://www.dingle-region.com/musicians.htm