bodhran-friendly sessions in cork city on a wednesday evening

bodhran-friendly sessions in cork city on a wednesday evening

Hi:
I’m travelling from Dublin to County Kerry, (taking a very roundabout route) exploring sessions along the way….I’ll be in Cork City on a Wednesday evening (August 5th) with a friend looking for a good, friendly session (that isn’t likely to be adverse to bodhran, if played well…. I know that it’s not always a welcome instrument, depending on the session! I play fiddle, he’s an experienced & sensitive bodhran player)…any suggestions would be more than welcome.
Also, any suggestions for good sessions on the southern Cork coast in and around Cobh, Skibereen, Bantry House etc. would also be appreciated. Thanks very much in advance!

Posted by .

Re: bodhran-friendly sessions in cork city on a wednesday evening

Every wednesday night at the Roaring Donkey in Cobh.

Thanks Dennis! We were planning to go to Cobh that day, anyway. Is this a session that you happen to frequent on a regular basis ?
~aoife

Posted by .

Hi,

Wednesday is actually a great day for tunes in Cork city. There two fantastic sessions happening.

1. Gables, in Douglas St. Starting 9.30. Is usually quiet enough, with plenty of room for musicians. Johny Neville on guitar and Christy Leahy on the box, class music and very nice people.

2. An Realt Dearg (used to be the Gateway), in Barrack St. also starting at 9.30. Great sessions, I’m usually there so if you go to this one and there´s a dark haired big guy playing pipes that´s me, say hello! Usually plenty of space and musicians are most friendly and welcoming, even for bodrhan players as long as they know what they´re doing and don´t spoil the tunes. Lisa and Mike O´Sullivan are usually there, greate fiddle and banjo players, brother and sister, lovely style and good atmosphere.

Any other questions just let me know, but I think you will enjoy the tunes in any of those sessions.

All the best!

There is a regular Friday night session in Ballydehob, which rotates around 4 pubs, but they are all on the main street, so easy enough to find. Musical quality varies depending who’s there, but always friendly.
The Maritime Hotel, Bantry has a Sunday early evening session with Ritchie Tisdall and others, although it might be as well to phone and check this one is still going, I haven’t been there myself for a while.
In Skibbereen try O’Brien’s corner bar, Mondays, and the Paragon bar, I think Tuesdays, with piper Paul Kelly.

I (plus fiddle-playing son) am staying in Goleen 12-22 August, so that information is useful to me, cathycook. Might be able to manage two Fridays in Ballydehob. Any other sessions about that area? Last year I went to a session in Skibbereen - it wasn’t particularly welcoming. Not actively chased away, but tolerated.

Hi Lissagriffin,
there are occasional sessions in the Fastnet bar in Goleen, I don’t think there’s anything regular, but it’s worth checking out.
I might see you Aug. 14th in Ballydehob, probably away at Tullamore fleadh the following week, but the session will still be going.

Can I suggest you lose the paranoia about looking for "Bodhran-friendly" sessions? llig isn’t everywhere, you know.
Just ask nicely if they mind if you join in.
I’ve been told "Alright, but you’d better be able to play that!", and that was fair enough. I laughed, joined in, and all was fine.
Enjoy yourself!

The only bodhran-hostile session I’ve ever come across was when I wandered into a pub in Mullagh during Willie week a few years ago.
There was a piper playing alone at the end of the pub, surrounded by about four other pipers. I got to the bar, watched for a couple of minutes, and got at least two bad-eye looks from the listening pipers.
I didn’t want to be there anyway, so that was fair enough too. I joined in a mighty session down the street a few minutes later.

Oh yes! The session at the Gables is very nice and friendly. I know well John and Christy (my first accordion teacher) and they are very friendly.
Sometime there is Frank Torpey that play bodhran.

Aoife,
No I live in the UK these days. But, I know a lot of the chaps involved.
It’s a good pub.

Thanks everyone!…great suggestions, and yes, we’ll ask before joining in (without a shred of paranoia). Really looking forward to going…hope to meet some of you!

Posted by .

I’m in the last throes of leaving for a holiday in the US of A with the family, and am seriously considering NOT taking an instrument, although we plan to drop in on a session or two, and sitting around playing in the lull between excursions with "Er Indoors is very relaxing as well.
Why ?
Because airlines have such a crummy reputation with instruments.
Why place you much-loved whatever in the hands of insensitive baggage-handlers, or take a chance on being allowed to bring it on board ? Why not just visit the sessions and enjoy, without needing to play ?
That’s my take on this anyway.