Scandinavian Sessions

Scandinavian Sessions

After looking through the Sessions listings, I come up with 4 regular session venues in Scandinavia. This is definately not enough, so I call upon all to recap sessions they have played in Scandinavia (or are playing on a regular basis). This is of course a part of my lifetime plan to map, and play with ITMians close (relative !) to my native Oslo.

Re: Scandinavian Sessions

Hi Snorri are you a Sturalson?
If there were any genetic basis to Irish music you would expect Iceland to be packed with Sessions, as most Icelanders are descended from Irish slaves.

TTFN
PP

Sorry Snorre, but here in Stockholm I know of no other than the monthly ‘Bishops Arm’ session that Henrik has submitted. And the only other session I know of in this part of Sweden is the

Posted by .

Ni svensktalande, irlandsktspelande ska veta att det kommer att bli irlandsk Festival i Kalmar nagon gang i Oktober — Alla Helgons Helg?

Tj:a Lars. There are (or at least was) sessions in Sk

Joda, det hadde v

Posted by .

Jazz

Posted by .

tufbo:
I don’t know of any active sessions, but I do know a few musicians (ITMians=Irish Trad Musicians) in the area, Ketil and Kjerstin (bouzouki/banjo and bodhran) and Mark(fiddle). If you ask the staff at Gilroy’s, the might know if there has been anything lately.

Jag visste inte att det var festival i Kalmar. Synd att det

Jo, Jo, den er god nok! Der er irsk festival i K

Posted by .

In

I’m aiming at going to the festival in Copenhagen this year. There’s a fiddler’s workshop on Sat and Sunday, and usually good sessions, from what I’ve heard.

Haven’t decided on the means of transportation, though. It could be plane, car or boat!

Lars,

It’s actually the other way round in Copenhagen.
The session in Foley’s is mainly songs and the one in Bloomsday (every Sunday at 3 - 7-8-9ish) is mainly tunes.
Bloomsday: Niels Hemmingsensgade 32, Copenhagen K
Foley’s: Stenosgade 1, Copenhagen V

I haven’t been to Foley’s in years, but almost every Sunday I go to Bloom’s.

Also Kennedy’s Irish Bar is a good place for impromptu sessions. Not on a regular base, but quite often when musicians visit town a session erupt in Kennedy’s.

Mich

I guess I’ll be seeing some of you in Copenhagen soon :-))

Posted by .

knallert forbut!!!!!

Hello, I just found this site by coincidence, and since Snorre mentioned my name.. (hi Snorre!)
Yes, it used to be regular sessions at Gilroys in Trondheim until about two years ago. The sessions were heavily dependent on visiting Irish (and Oslo) musicians and when the pub changed music agency, the quality of the music and the musicians changed too. So there hasn’t been any interesting Irish trad music there for a while, but what can you expect when the manager don’t like fiddle music. Anyway, there’s a new man in charge now, so we’ll see.

Posted by .