Tuning down a half step - Whistle - mandolin.

Tuning down a half step - Whistle - mandolin.

Was thinking of tuning down our band a half step or even full step down to F for Gigs,Voices getting older ,
Normally Sing in G.

Few Questions..
Guitar tuned down full step sounds too loose..
Can a mandolin tune down a full step, dont think so. maybe tune it down a half step and stick a capo on first fret.

Now our whistle player… What whistle can he use if we are playing in F Sharp..
Normally its going to be a D Whistle when playing in G..
Is there a whistle ?

Re: Tuning down a half step - Whistle - mandolin.

Unfortunately that’s tricky for the whistle. Ideally you need a c sharp whistle and they are hard to come by. Colin Goldie makes one but you’d need to be sure that’s the way you’re going before asking him to invest. A b whistle will also do the job but half holing would be necessary if the 7ths are sharp. Obviously a full step would be better for your whistle player as he could just use a c whistle.

"him" - your whistle player

Thanks Bogman, Its a " Him" allright…

I am wondering if you could tune a susato C Whistle up to C Sharp ?

No, afraid not, it would never be in tune with itself.

Down to F So.. and suffer with guitar maybe

"…maybe tune it down a half step and stick a capo on first fret."

I’m no mandolin player but wouldn’t this cancel out the tuning-down? Huh?

susato makes a D♭/C♯ whistle.

Posted .

"…maybe tune it down a half step and stick a capo on first fret."

ROTFL

Of course, he meant: tune it down a half step and stick a capo behind the nut.

"Guitar tuned down full step sounds too loose.."

Going to heavier strings should sort that out I think. Some of the guitar or string manufacturer sites might give a guide to appropriate gauges which produce the original tension.

My wife once stuck a capo behind my nuts. I’ve never been the bloody same since. I went up a whole tone though. Counter-productive, then.

thanks Random Notes, I see Susato do make that whistle, lovely..

Will try the heavier strings on Guitar… Normally use mediums..

thanks.

Back in the old days, before we had a choice in guitar string gauges, people were tuning down a tone to achieve the feel and tone of lighter gauge strings, so putting one gauge heavier should give the same effect as you are used to if you are tuned a tone down.
Know what you mean re the voices getting lower - did an old song from the repertoire yesterday at the old pitch, and should have left off the capo.
Just one thought - many singers I know have their capos wizzing up and down the neck between songs because they pitch everything to suit the voice, and rarely do anything in a ‘standard’ key to start with; I suppose, in a band, you are a bit stuck with the normal keys anyway.

G is my natural Key, But I have found that I have been hoarse as hell of late after gigs.
Capo is fine but I do not like the sound of Capo guitar.. especially for up tempo songs….
Hence the need the need to tune down..

Make your own whistle.

It’s surprisingly easy.

OK so it may take you two or three or even four tries before you get the hang of it, but don’t give up too easily.

I made a C-sharp Generation whistle that plays great.

You take an ordinary Generation C and chop the top of the tube until the upper-hand notes (the notes that would be G, A, and B on a D whistle) are in tune to the new key.

Then you chop the bottom until it gives an in-tune C sharp.

Then you have to carve out the lowest two fingerholes.

I’ve posted photos of my C sharp Generation and B natural Generation on C&F. The B natural was made from a Generation B flat in the same way.