tenor guitar for sale?

tenor guitar for sale?

hi everyone, im a banjo player looking for a tenor guitar but dont know a lot about them, or where to try out a few. i have played a few and some had longer necks than others, are they based on the same scale size as a banjo?
i play a 17 fret banjo and would be looking for a short scale tenor too, but how short do they come?
id appreciate any information and also if anyone can recommend me somewhere to try out a few.
im based in dublin but wouldnt mind a bit of a road trip either :)

Posted by .

Re: tenor guitar for sale?

Give Tom Cussen a ring over at Clareen Banjos (Clarinbridge, Galway). He usually has a few tenor guitars in the shop.

If you’re on a budget there’s the Goldtone tenor guitars. For a nice short scale tenor guitar I think you’d be hard pressed to beat the Fletcher Tenortone - their design is based on an old S.S Stewart tenor guitar. But they’d be on the pricier side, plus they’re made in the States so unless you feel like a very big road trip they probably out of the question! Angelina Carberry plays one. You should check out their website anyway just or the craic, they have some mp3’s up to give you an idea of the sound:

www.fletcherinstruments.com

At one point I was just going to get a cheaper tenor guitar, but having gotten a chance to play a few Tenortones last year, now I have me heart set on one of them.

Martin Guitars make a tenor guitar which has a street price of $479.00 from a number on-line suppliers - Elderly Instruments being one of them.

I have played the Martin and it is quite acceptable for the price.

I’m actually in the same position, lol. I play a 17 fret banjo and am looking for a tenor guitar, but in the states. Whats your price range? Mines 300-500 but i might be able to get more if something catches my eye..

good luck anyways and let us know what you get!

I play an old Martin that has a fairly small body, but the scale length is still a bit longer than my 19 fret banjos. It never really bothered me, but I have pretty big hands, and started playing on a long-scale bouzouki, so I’m used to it.

A friend of mine pointed out to me once that part of what feels really uncomfortable in a longer scale length is how far your hand is away from your body, and the angle that your wrist is at. So he showed me on a long-scale instrument that it really doesn’t feel that long if you move it so that your hand isn’t as far away. Not that this is particularly useful information, but it was an interesting observation!

That actually kinda makes sense, lol.

I don’t know about Podge, but I went with a shorter scale because I screwed up my hand when I was little and now the longer stretch physically hurts, otherwise i’d probably be playing a guitar ;) . A short-scale tenor was my move up from mandolin.

If you live in the States you might consider the BR-40T tenor guitar made by Blueridge (http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/BR40T.htm) I have one and it is well built, very playable, and has a nice sound. It is a copy of the Martin O-18T for a lot less money.

Saga, who make Blueridge guitars, is coming out with two more models of tenor guitars eventually and this one will be the budget model in their line. The BR-40T has a solid top and laminated sides. No truss rod is present, but the warranty covers any problems with a warped neck.

I think it is the best value for the price although Soarey guitars are pretty good too.

Mike Keyes
http://www.banjosessions.com

thanks for all your replies

reverend i heard that theory before and its very true, but the reason im looking for a short scale is for a shorter stretch between the frets cause i have short fingers :(

steve im in the same price range as you, i have a mandolin and low whistle for sale so my budget will depend on what i get for that

im not mad about buying an instrument online without playing it first, i know elderly instruments have a great reputation but i havent played enough tenors to know what ones i like.

i have a 6 string martin that i dont like because it wasnt set up when i bought it. i took it to 3 different people who all tried to set up the action and truss rod but no one made the playing any better. it sounds great and has a reliable fishman pickup but its awful to play. think ill be avoiding martin from now on…

thanks for all the usefull info :)

Posted by .

I saw a tenor guitar in one of the music shops around South William st (not on it around the corner) in Dublin I think it was in music maker but I am not certain. It was a Martin though, but I thought I would let you know to go have a look if they still have it. It might benefit you to try it anyway even though you say you don’t like Martins it could help expand your knowledge about Tenors. I wasn’t too impressed with it myself, but I play the Mandolin and Bouzouki so I can’t say I know too much about Tenors either.

A tenor guitar is a very nice instrument to have around the house but I don’t think it’s very useful for playing at a session. It hasn’t got a double course of strings like an octave mandolin to make it louder. Tiny Grimes played a big archtop jazz version (he played with Charlie Parker) but you can see he had a pickup if you do an image search for him. He used Chicago tuning (i.e. just like the top four strings of a normal guitar). My one’s exactly like this: http://www.elderly.com/items/80U-1634.htm
I have fun playing it but not at sessions. I’ve got an old De Armond tenor guitar pickup I bought separately and that gives it a bluesy, gutsy sound but not really right for this music.

great ill try music maker and a few others around the area cheers for that!

iv no intention of playing it a session richardb they are waaayy too quiet. im more interested in accompanying singing at a amplified gig or for recording a few tunes…

Posted by .

Podge - good luck with your search - I’m sure you’ll enjoy playing it when you get one. I mostly use GDAE but changed it to GDAD for a while and that gives more resonance and some nice chords. I enjoyed hearing Diana Jones at the Cambridge Folk Festival singing with her tenor guitar which she calls Rosebud - picture here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/jul/10/diana-jones-better-times-interview

I play a Gold Tone Tenor with a aftermarket bags pick up. I bought mine used for 375.00$U.S. with the pick up. It’s a fine instrument if your willing to put a little work and money in or pay someone else to do so. To anyone who buys the Gold Tone Tenor Model# TG-18 I highly recommend replacing the nut and bridge saddle with a high quality bone. And make sure you check your intonation well. The Bridge saddle must be staggered to match pitch. It’s very noticeably out of pitch from open string note to fretted notes with the factory set up. This is a production instrument and I feel that they pay little to no attention to intonation due to the overall asking price. But an attractive and good sounding instrument none the less. good luck to you my friend.

Clachtadh clachtadh clachtadh!

I was offered a pre war tenor martin guitar for sale lately by a well known reputable musician. Great condition. Call, text or email me for more info.

Just for the record Podge, you can check out a few photos of my new Tenortone Tenor Guitar here:

http://theirishtenorbanjo.ning.com/group/tenorguitar/forum/topics/my-new-tenor-guitar-1st

21" Scale Length
32" Total Length
1 1/4" Nut Width

It should finally be with me, in a little over a week!

Does time ever move more slowly, than when you are waiting for a new instrument to arrive! :-(

Anyway, YouTubes WILL be posted! ;-)

Cheers
Dick