woman bouzouki players!!!!

woman bouzouki players!!!!

hey
I’m a woman who has just started playing the bouzouki. Are there any other woman bouzouki players out there, because I was just a folkworks summer school and James Fagin said that there wernt many out there. I’m now really curious.
:)

Re: woman bouzouki players!!!!

Jenn Butterworth.

I’m dying for a bouzouki. It’s on my wish list. I’ve been eying them for a while, a couple of weeks ago a friend lent me one for a few days, now I’m totally in love.

As a fiddlist and guitarist, it makes perfect sense.

I’m saving up for one. : - )

Let me know how you make out.

Does Jenn play a lot of bouzouki these days? Anna Massie has also played one before.

Julia Reid is another one from the Glasgow scene who plays bouzouki.

There are not too many female guitar accompanists either though, as a proportion of the men. On the other hand I think you are more likely to get women accompanying on the piano than men.

Beth Patterson is great. You might want to look for some of her earlier CDs when she was part of a group called the Poor Clares. She has an outstanding sole CD called Hybrid Vigor that is great, although not exactly pure Irish trad.

John

Marion Mcevoy plays bouzouki mostly. She leads the Monday night session in the Cobblestone with Mary Begley and also plays regular sessions in the Brian Boru and other places.

Marit Fält.

There’s a young girl in Chicago named Siobhan I’ve seen at several sessions playing bouzouki. She’s marvelous.

Posted by .

There is at least one in my part of the world. I have not seen her for some time. Like the Durham Puma, she seems to have gone to ground for a bit. But maybe the resonant growl of her zouk strings may be heard on the air of la County Durham profonde if one is in the right spot downwind when she is practising. Mind, you may follow up the sound and find it’s the Durham Puma.

sara, get one!!!!!! I’ve had mine for about three weeks now and i am in love with it! There are sooooo many types of music you ca play on it. I’ve been playing a mix of chords and tunes with Irish, American, and loads of other styles. You’re right with the guitar-fiddle thing. I play fiddle guitar and mandolin as well so its all basically the same!
:)

mandolinist - yes, that’s it - the mix of chords and melodies - that’s what it is. It just felt like home, right away.

I was worried at first about the scale length, and would a woman’s hand’s work, but it’s not like you think. It’s a different style of playing. Without the pesky little matter of intonation, as with fiddle, you’re free to move your hands about.

Yes, the same, but different.

I am definitely getting one. I’m dreaming of saving up for a Davy Stuart.

Sara - there are some pretty nice American instruments. The trick is to haunt music shops and play anything octave-mandolin-ish, while you’re putting your pennies in a sock. By the time you have enough pennies in your sock, you’ll know exactly what you’re looking for, and shortly thereafter, it’ll turn up and you’ll recognize it.

Oh, and you should borrow the Flatiron again, now that I’ve put new strings on it. It’s like a whole new instrument. You’ll be even in lover with it than you were before.

Jon - good idea (as usual) because it will take a while to fill up that sock.

And you better believe I’ll be knocking on your door for your zouk, but prob’ly not for a few weeks - prepping madly for HHD’s - early this year.

Headed up-island imminently to catch a few tunes with DB, will send your regards.

Maybe he will have is OM with him : - )

What’s interesting in this conversation is that none of these bouzouki playing women are Greek. I am a middle aged Greek Canadian woman, and I have developed a desire to connect to the musical roots of my family and learn the bouzouki. But I think that I would be the only Greek woman playing the bouzouki. This is still very much a macho Greek man’s world - it’s unheard of for a woman to play the bouzouki.