Putting the latest Doug Tipple flute design to the test…

Re: Putting the latest Doug Tipple flute design to the test…

Excellent - who needs a $6,000 flute … they look so pretty though …

Thanks Michael,

I did ! - nice sounding instument and well played.

Don’t suppose they do a $200.00 full set of Uilleann Pipes ?

Nice. But then Ben could probably make a random hunk of garden hose sound pretty good. ;-)

I was leaning toward a Casey Burns folk flute, but these look interesting. And I’m going to be in Indianapolis next week.

So, opinions from the flautists?

Remember that Ben is not your average musician. ;-) Garden hose has been done, though not by Ben.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3hWdUDi_iA

I haven’t tried a folk flute but the normal Casey Burns I played was quite nice. I suspect you’d be pretty happy with a folk flute. Wood is so much nicer than PVC.

I agree with Elaine, the Casey Burns folk flute is a nice starter if you’re turned off by PVC.

Thanks for the input! Since I already have the hunk-of-irrigation-pipe flute for camping, spur of the moment croquet matches, and defense against hostile wildlife, I think I need wood.

Playing croquet with, how do you term it? - "hunk-of-irrigation-pipe". What does the poor green keeper make of that I wonder?

I have a Tipple flute. It’s awesome. Mine’s in E. I found D hard to reach. I play A tunes with it.

I think my wooden flute might be the better weapon. The lined headjoint and tuning slide gives it some good heft. ;-)

I didn’t notice any particular reach issues on that Tipple Ben is playing. It might have had the offset holes - I honestly can’t remember.

I just listened to the two clips. Damn, that Ben Jaber is a good flute player. He should quit his day job as a landscaper & buy himself a flute. Not that he has to, he sounds very good!

Posted .

The flute Ben is playing doesn’t have offset holes, but it does have a split body so you can adjust each hand position individually. I agree, the reach isn’t a problem and I have smallish hands.

Music IS Ben Jaeber’s day job and the awesome thing is that flute is not even his main instrument. You’re thinking of one of our local fiddlers who landscapes.

It’s quite obvious he’s a musician. A very good musician.

Posted .

Doug Tipple is obviously improving the design.

Posted .

You should hear Ben on his Grinter…

The new embouchure cut is interesting. It gives a much better sound but it’s pretty finicky as far as where you blow and feels pretty different from a Hammy or Olwell. I still think it would be a relatively difficult flute for a beginner. It would be really interesting to hand the newer Tipple to one of my beginning students to see whether my hunch is correct. The improvement when they try my easy-blowing Olwell over their pretty decent mid-range wooden flutes is dramatic, but obviously beginners aren’t going to spend that much on a flute.

The Tipple is looking like a much better option for a hiking/camping/indestructo-flute.