Amhráin as Gaeilge?

Amhráin as Gaeilge?

I know thesession is mainly about tunes, but surely there are some songs in Irish that work well at your various sessions. Any suggestions? (suggestions other than ‘learn more tunes’, I’m working on that.)

Re: Amhráin as Gaeilge?

Leagan mhaith é sin!
That’s a great version, possibly as it was intended to be sung.

Sad the way youtube comments always end up being ‘political’ though. Pity they don’t have a ‘keep it relevant’ rule.

The best version ever! beats his own version on CD by miles, no one else comes close IMO. The man.

I’ve had that video in my favourites page for some time now, wonderful isn’t it?

Bloody hell, that’s brilliant! I can’t even put my finger on exactly *why* it’s brilliant. But it definitely is. Brightened up my day, that has.

Isnt it a ‘political’ song?…..
Brilliant eh? I can easily listen to it over and over.

How sad that those great old songs are no longer sung in schools in Ireland. Much as I hated my schooldays and the abuse heaped on my generation by cruel and sadistic teachers, the one thing I took with me when I left primary school in 1950 was a love of all those great songs that were taught to us, both in Irish and English. Needless to say we sang Oro’ with a lot more gusto than the gentleman on utube.

They are still sung in Schools in Ireland. At least in the gaelscoileanna……

There is nothing wrong with political songs with political comments. It isnt sad. It is probably a good idea to know a little of what the song is about to really enjoy it.

Nice one Chris.

Spellbreaker - Maybe in the Irish speaking schools, but when I speak to kids from ordinary schools they have never heard of any of those songs or tunes
Some of the songs I remember from my schooldays were Bheir Mé Ó (The Eriskay love lilt)
Beidh Anonach Amárach as well as great songs in English such as Oft in a stilly night and the Castle of Drumore

Let me rephrase my comments on youtube. I meant that the comments on youtube often end up being really aggressive, personal and sometimes racist.

Re. songs learned in school, I think it varies according to the school and the teachers. I remember doing Anach Chuain, Eibhlín a Rún and several others includng Brahms’ lullaby as Gaeileger but not Óró or some of the others mentioned above. OK, just gave myself some ideas for songs!

sorry about the spelling above!