Germany wants more Irish culture. Why can’t we deliver?

Re: Germany wants more Irish culture. Why can’t we deliver?

If there is one lesson we should learn from history, it is that appeasement gets us nowhere

Just more whining from the lot that look on music as just another commodity to bring in tourists. They have no interest in it other than how much money it can make them.

Posted .

Well, its bound to be an improvement on Wagner.

I agree that there is high demand for Irish music and dance over here in Germany. But who says it is not being delivered?
The Irish Folk Festival is on tour this autumn as usual, so are the Dubliners. There are summer festivals dedicated to Irish music which gave me the opportunity to see Caladh Nua, Lorcan Mac Mathuna and Pigeon Top this year.

Do you really think there is a shortage of German tourists looking for Irish pub sessions? It also makes you wonder how Clannad or the Dubliners ever got anywhere without government funding.

Posted by .

There are some great German musicians that play Irish music. I met just a few of them in Tubbercurry in the summer.

http://www.diddlyi.com/profile/Nua

Steffen, the flute player, has started making flutes and very fine instruments they are proving to be too.

I’d agree with Prof. Prlwytzkofsky on this one—it’s all about money. It’s always worrying when tourism and Irish traditional music are mentioned in the one breath. More a case of Riverdance than Tommy Peoples.

I think the interest of many Germans in Irish and Scottish music is genuine. It has a history preceding Riverdance. It is not a matter of wipping up interest in order to sell tourism. If Germans or Americans with interest in Irish music decide to visit Ireland in order to experience a bit of the country, the people and the culture from which the music has originated, they are tourists. Are they welcome and can their interest in the music be accommodated, and how? What’s wrong with that?

Nithing Hans. It is a good thing.

Hans, when I was a student in Glasgow in the 80s (well pre-Riverdance) a visiting student from Germany told me that the most popular "English" band in Germany was the Dubliners. I knew what he meant :-D

- chris

Hans, there’s nothing at all wrong with welcoming Germans or any other tourists so that they can enjoy our music. The worrying thing is when the business suits get hold of the music and seek to make a quick profit from it. These are usually people who have no interest in culture, Irish or otherwise.

In fact, in addition to advertising the music to Continental tourists, it mightn’t do any harm to advertise it to Irish people as well, since many of them are completely ignorant about it!