Andy Dejarlis/Metis Fiddling

Andy Dejarlis/Metis Fiddling

Hi all,

I have been really getting into French Canadian fiddling as of late. The problem is that I am having a tough time finding any resources. I have a few CDs and a few transcriptions of some Andy Dejarlis stuff, but even here in the Red River Valley the well is unbelievably dry. Can anyone out there toss me a line? Much appreciated.

Re: Andy Dejarlis/Metis Fiddling

Metis and French Canadian are distinct musics. Search Google and YouTube for John Arcand, a legend among Metis fiddlers.

Also, there’s an annual Metis Music festival in St. Laurent Manitoba, just northwest of Winnipeg on the east shore of Lake Manitoba.

Here are some interesting links: http://www.scribd.com/doc/22730173/Metis-Fiddle-and-Dance-Music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGtckNUY7b8&NR=1&feature=fvwp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5frBdOs-aI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jNKJ_HWg-w&feature=related

Posted .

hah! I missed John Arcand in Will’s post. Jamie Fox is another great fiddle player - and a champion jigger too

Jamie sits in at our session in Helena when she’s in the neighborhood. And we’ve played Metis tunes with her and her Dad on guitar a few times. Great people. She’s a really tremendous fiddler, and so’s her brother. They played at the National Folk Festival a couple years ago but I couldn’t find any YouTube clips. Arcand wrote a tune for them, the Fox Family Reel.

Posted .

My wife and I play a number of Metis tunes with our band and also at sessions here…
I will post some abc’s for you….
I also have a pdf of a number of tunes we got a a Metis workshop a couple of years ago…
contact me and I will be happy to send it to you…

Greg

One of my favorites:

X: 9
T:Bull Moose
M:C|
L:1/8
C:Andy Dejarlis
S:Emma Lake Tape, Arcand CD
R:Reel
K:G
DB, |"D" A,B,DF "C" E2 DF | "D" Ad^cd "Am" fdAB |"C" c2 cB "G/B" cdef |"
G" gagf "C" e2 fe |!
"D" defd "C" ABAG |"D" FDFA "Am" d2 AB | "C" c2 cB "G/B" cBAG |"C" FDFA
"D" d2:|!
|: z e | "D" fefg "Em" afdf | " C" e c2 c "G" cdeg | "D" f2 d2 ABAG | FD
FA d3 e |!
"D" fefg afdf | "C/D" e c2 c cdeg |"D" f2 d2 "Am7" ABAG |"D" F2 D2 D2 :|

oops, I think this is actually in D Mixolydian… G

another Metis tune: Sitting Bull..

X: 1
T:Sitting Bull
M:C|
L:1/8
C:Andy Di Jarlis
S:Jamie Fox/John Arcand
R:Reel
K:Am
"Am" ea2 a abag| ed (3efg a2 ef | "G" gedc BAGA | BGAc "Am" (3 BcB A2| !
"Am" ea2 a abag| ed (3efg a2 ef |"G" gedc BAGF | "Am" EA"Em"AG A4 :|!
|: "Am" [A,3E3] [A,E] [A,2E2] [A,2E2] | [DA]GAB c2 BA |"G" G2 BG D2 GA
| BG"Am"AG "Em7" (3BcB "Am" A4 |!
"Am" [A,3E3] [A,E] [A,2E2] [E2A2] | [DA]GAB c2 B2 | "E7/G#" e=fed "Am"
c2 Ac | "Em" BAGB "Am" A4 :|

thanks tons jardin!

For myself, it would be a shame to learn Metis tunes from abcs. The feel is in the playing, not the notes.

Posted .

agreeable to that end, will

‘Teddy Boy’ Houle - the real thing in Metis fiddling/gigue lives in Ebb and Flow, Manitoba…he’s a very nice man, too, and funny!.
Find him on the web or wherever.
There is also a Metis fiddle group - a ‘band friend’ of mine on Myspace.
Have fun.

We got the tunes from Jamie Fox and some people in a group named Grey Owl at a Metis seminar in Tacoma, Wa, USA, a couple of years ago. You’re absolutely right about having to hear the tunes played to get them right. Also, in this type music, they tap rhythm with their feet while they play the tunes. Some of these tunes have never been recorded.

I have a large collection of Andy DeJarlis recordings and have notated a lot of his music.
I will share this with you if you send me an email and the tunes you are looking for.
dakotala@mts.net