Piping the haggis

Piping the haggis

A bit late i know for this year. But what tunes are typically used to pipe in the haggis?

Re: Piping the haggis

Dunno if it’s always the same tune wherever you go, but I have a good recording of the one played for the piping-in at the Tree Inn near Bude on Tuesday. If you pm me with an email address I can send you an MP3 of it.

love the ozzyism ‘dunno’…good man yerself, ss, you are coming along nicely, man ;-)

Ours is still in the fridge, we hae twa, ‘un’s traddie, ‘un’s veggie. They do keep, dinna thae ?
( Enough of the dialect, the noo ! ).

Pete - it wid be "*yin’s* a traddie…"

Usually "A man’s a man for a’ that".

When I was at Durham, the head of the college I was at had heard I was a piper and asked me if I could pipe in the haggis for the college’s Burns Night dinner. I asked if this entailed walking. He said, "Well, uh, yes." I said in that case, I’d be happy to do it but someone would have to push me in a wheelchair.

He found someone else who played the Highland pipes. Balls!

Play some ‘organ’ music.

harmonic miner,

surf over to www.bobdunsire.com, a terrific website dedicated wholly to the Great Highland Bagpipes. You’ll be glad you did.

@TheSilverSpear:

Which college was it, again? Not The Castle or Chad’s, by any chance? They are/were the fruitiest ones.

I hope the event was as outlandish as the Cambridge dinner portrayed in the TV production of "Porterhouse Blue".

(A contemporary of mine who is a Cambridge don assures me that Cambridge is in fact just like that…)

It was Hatfield. So unsurprisingly not having enough of a sense of humour to wheel me into their grand hall in an office chair playing Irish pipes. They had to go for some puffy-cheeked Highland piper poncing about in a kilt. :)

I played for 30 minutes as the guests were arriving… 95 of them.
I played a selection of what I call Lowland Scottish tunes mainly
Meeting of the Waters/Cockmey Jocks/Gallawa Hills/Loch Ruan/
Rustic Bridge/RowAn Tree/Bonnie Galloway..then anything that entered my head.
Piping in the Top Table was to… Teribus
Piping in Haggis was… A mans a Man for A that
Piping out the Haggis was… Corn Riggs are Bonnie
All went down really well, hope this helps

Posted by .

Just for Al:

What’s the difference between haggis and an American breakfast?

One’s a big bowel full of of cereal…

I’m neither a piper or Scottish - just a member of a ceilidh band that’s played at quite a few Burns nights over the years …

My understanding is that the following are considered to be "haggis" tunes:

A Man’s a Man for a’ That
My Love She’s But a Lassie Yet

However other well-known tunes are also acceptable, eg.

Road to the Isles
The Green Hills of Tyrol
The Rowan Tree
Scotland the Brave
Bonnie Dundee
Highland Cathedral

Our piper ("our" I say!) played an unidentified Scottish march and followed it by the theme from "Star Wars". My wife told me off for giggling - the piper didn’t! It sounded great by the way.

Super Trouper (Abba) goes a treat on the Highland pipes. Or should do. It’s within their range.

@TheSilver Spear:

I’d forgotten to include Hatfield in the fruity college list, but yes, they definitely qualify, or used to.

Years ago, it was an all-male hive of rugger jocks. There was an immemorial contest with St. Chad’s as to who should have possession of ‘The College Virgin’, a rubber doll of the kind delicately known as a ‘Japanese Inflatable’. Whichever college had it, would assign to its care a newcomer deemed to have the most suggestive name. (I remember one year this duty fell to a lad called Willy Fawcett.) The guys in the other college would strive by whatever means possible to kidnap it.

St. Chad’s was there to produce High Church vicars. I never did know what Hatfield was there to produce.

Ebor_fiddler, which theme from Star Wars? Luke Skywalker’s theme? If it was Skywalker’s theme, have you ever tried to play it in 3/4 like a waltz? Yes it works and I have done it in public. I obviously got away with because I am still alive. When the audience realized what I was doing, they were laughing too hard to think of throwing anything at me.

Laurence

before I came to Scotland, the phrase "piping in the haggis" always conjured up a vison of molten haggis being pumped to the table via a system of conduits. RI’m not joking. But I wasn’t all that sure so fortunately I never aired my thoughts … I mean everyone knows that prime hindquarter of haggis (the bigger, left-side one) is too solid to pump.

Like Mix O’Lydian I’ve played a few Burns nights but am usually skulking in the bar with the rest of the band when the piper’s doing his thing, pumping the poor wee haggis or whatever, so have little memory of what they play

Posted by .

"Molten Haggis"… I think you’ve just named your new Scots Trad/Rock fusion band.