Respectful request

Respectful request

A thread about Margaret’s Waltz has unaccountably vanished, and I can’t find any trace of it in the Tunes:Comments department. There was a link to a Youtube on it that I wanted to get back to, but I can’t because I didn’t bookmark it. Help!

Re: Respectful request

god moves in mysterious ways

Posted .

Thanks, John, but that wasn’t the one. It was a young woman playing a medley of three waltzes on the fiddle, with Margaret’s Waltz first. I’ll have a dig for it.

You’re a star, David! Thanks for that. :-)

I liked the Aly Bain video, but the young woman in the second link plays a beautiful set, thanks for persevering, so i could bookmark it.

It was that second tune I wanted. I played it donkey’s years ago, forgot all about it because my mates and I only ever play about one waltz a fortnight (except for that bloody tiresome Ashokan doodah that everyone loves except me), and never that one. She plays it with some differences to what I remember, and I like to hear different takes on things.

You could just "Favorite" The youtube video. That way no matter what happens, everytime you log into youtube, the video will be there for you. That way you wont have a bunch of unnecessary bookmarks that all lead to the same website. All you have to do is click *Favorite*. Thats easy. Well… unless you forgot your password. That wouldn’t be fun :(

So why have you suddenly become "respectful", Steve? :-)

Or just download the video, convert it to MP3, then bin the original.

Posted by .

I usually do the Favourites thing but I was active on that thread, didn’t think for one second it was contentious in any way and hadn’t got round to bookmarking the link. Simple. You do things like that at my age.

Respectful because I didn’t know why the thread was no longer there and didn’t want to rile the gaffer by demanding an explanation before I got my link (or even after). It’s about outcomes, old chap, and I got mine, thanks!

Yes i put this thread on the discussions as i was unable to find this tune .I was told that i had spelt it wrong but what ever i put i still cant find it - Margarets - .It still seem,s that some members can ask for help to find tunes and others can not Asking for tunes in the tunes section is in my opion a waste of time Des ps Sorry for breaking the rules

Margaret’s

Steve Shaw: "…tiresome Ashokan doodah that everyone loves except me"

Not just you Steve - I can’t stand it either.

I’ve renamed it: "Ash Can Farewell"

And ever since I’ve referred to it by that name, it’s been played less often at our local session … :-)

@DES RYNNE - The reason that you failed to find it, is that your spelling’s not so hot (as has already been pointed out)

If (instead of searching within session.org) you had just gone to google, and typed:

margrets waltz session.org

- into the search box

.., Google would have returned results for the tune you actually wanted (Margaret’s Waltz) - including the entries in session.org

Aye. Oddly, or not, we call it Goodbye Dustbin. But it hasn’t worked. The trouble is, it’s the landlord’s favourite. Hope you’re not reading this, Rob!

And thanks, jim - I just remembered it was you who put up the link in the first place. :-)

I can never hear that tune without thinking of the American Civil War, as it was the theme tune to Ken Burns’ squillion hour documentary thereof.

Hi Mix Olydian Ive already said that i spelt it wrong God you must be fun to live with being so perfect????????????

By the way you spelt margarets wrong

Cross-posted. Thanks for the spelling correction, fauxcelt. ;-)

Posted .

DES I am not clear if you still can’t find it.
Either put the apostrophe in or leave the s off and the search here will work. http://www.thesession.org/tunes/1678

Are you guys bonding, by any chance ?

Sorry ive now found it thank you Des

I have heard that waltz called the "Ass Chokin’ Farewell…"
A few folks are tired of it around here, also…

@ DES RYNNE

Firstly, to answer your questions:

1) You’re right, I’m not fun to live with!

2) You’re wrong, I’m not perfect!

But please read my post again - then hopefully you’ll see that I was actually trying to be helpful.

It’s often the case that we are given the name of a tune (say at a session) but we aren’t given the spelling of it.

Hence the usefulness of the "Google" method to find a tune on session.org,, because this method will usually find it, even if it is mis-spelled.

ill tell you what we seem to have got off on the wrong foot .In future i will not answer any question you ask on this site and you do the same .And if you say you were trying to be helpful im going to be big and say sorry .

Oh no … I’ve been Jeromed

Posted .

Jim:

Many thanks for posting the link to Ms. Cuthill’s tune thingie.

Nice tunes, and I like the way she presents them for learning.

Posted by .

@DES Fair enough!

Ooops! I just answered your question. Sorry! ;-)

Someone’s host server is getting a bit of selective attention.

Posted .

what a fruitloop

can people give DES a bit more abuse for my amusement. thanks in advance