LUNA Trinity Bouzouki

LUNA Trinity Bouzouki

any opinions on this for a begginers bouzouki? seen some on ebay and was wondering if anyone knows anything about them, not looking for somthing special for it will be for first learning

thanks

Re: LUNA Trinity Bouzouki

Are bazookis still cool? I was wondering.

When I was a kid and saw the pic of Donal Lunny with his long hair on the back of The Well Below the Valley LP I knew the bazooki was cool. But is it still cool?

Posted .

Its cool. Too cool.

I dunno, I need evidence. Give me evidence why you think the bazooki is cool

Posted .

cause you dont think it is!
zing!

ha ha, good answer.

If it were true. I said I didn’t know

Posted .

stop being such a bumhug

I’m not for christ’s sake. I’m just wondering, What’s cool?

Posted .

What a helpful set of replies. Cool my arse.
Sorry Thom I cannot offer you any advice.

Well, I had to look it up on the Hinternet to see, as I’d never heard of one before.
What an interesting soundhole and headstock shape ! And I see they have used Gibson-F-Style tuning machines too.
Nevertheless, despite the creative use of design to change the accustomary appearance, this still seems to be otherwise exactly the same instrument, from out of the same factory, that might be branded Trinity College, Johnston, or, in the UK, Ozark.
So the two questions hanging in the air are; is this more cool than a usual ‘zouk ?; and does it sound any better than any of the others ?
Well, if I were a dashing young buck and not a long-married greybeard I might well think that such an instrument was cool and worthy to impress the young ladies, with its exotic and mystic head design and the enticingly long neck ( but size isn’t everything they say ).
I suspect that the actual instrument will sound no better than any other from the same factory, so my usual recommendations apply; replace the bridge with a Red-Henry-pattern bridge, and the tailpiece with a heavier brass or bronze one, and the instrument will be better for it. It’s still not a bad instrument for the price.

Cool Maan!

I bought a hundred quid Romanian 8 string thing so I would look more normal (Ha! Ha! Ha!) at sessions were they didn’t didn’t know me (cool?!). The bloody uke was, or has been a bit of a clue (cool?)! Anyway- the sodding ‘zouk or is it an octave mandolin or a mandola, mandildo or Irish balalaika?
Anyway, you bang away at diads of a fifth (no 3rd) ‘power chords’ and you do all that 70’s stylie syncopated hippy dippy Hatfield and the North Bo Diddley Planxty strumminess and at a moderate session you’ll find the notes you play are irrelevant because all anyone including yourself can hear is a sort of plekky tikki strummy thing- a bit like the lo-fi akoostik six string devil of Ritchie Havens at Woodstock…(cool?)

Buy a fiddle or piano (cool) or set of pipes instead! Wotteffah you do do don’t buy a baritone ukulele!

Hey, yhaalhouse, you hairy old whotsit ! Nothing wrong with a baritone ukulele ! The first instrument Joni Mitchell played in public was a baritone Ukulele. Is she cool ? Not ‘Arf !

Cool!

Our drummer, who is a dirty old man, has been fancying the skinny blond Canadian you mentioned all his life. I know because of his repeated gushings regarding her and her work. He thinks she is very cool. I think, indeed, she has invented some annoying 70’s strummy open chord nonsense songs.
But even this old curmudgeonly bloke might forgive the catawalling virago, sorry, harmonius goddess if she enchewed the six string devil for the old bari- but than I remember the bleedin’ dulcimer and my forgiveness has evaporated…

Llig
Of course Bouzoukis are Cool
I play one dont I ?

David

Although I do draw the line at cheap imports looking cool .

llig, a zouk or any other instrument cannot be cool. It is the person in whose possession it is that may or may not be deemed to have that elusive characteristic. By my way of thinking, if something is considered cool by a significant proportion of the population, it is by definition, not cool. In fact it is hot, as any marketing buffoon will surely tell you

Personally, I think bouzoukis are way cool.*

The knotwork soundholes on the LUNA Trinity zook, though, look like they’re trying too hard to be seltick, and thus not cool. But if it sounds good, and plays well, all is forgiven and thus you get an anti-cool backlash which is, in itself, cool.

*Do I really need to say ‘personally/I think’ — isn’t that implicit? Can I use ‘way’ to mean ‘very’? I think not, on both counts. Plus, I’ve never actually played one of the Luna’s and haven’t answered the OP. Three demerits for uncoolness. :-(

its not the soundhole knotwork i care about, i couldent find any without it in that price range, personally i would do without it, looks kind of silly.
thanks pete for your input

Guernsey Pete is correct. They are similar to the Trinity College and such. All are made in China. It is a solid top and could use a decent setup. I picked one up to muck about with and had to replace the tailpiece already. The string didn’t break but the little nub holding it did.
As for the soundhole - no impact to the sound. Has a great ringing sound but falls off a bit when you start trying to play any hard rhythmic pattern. It does have a truss rod so that may need an adjustment.
Definitely beginner quality. Not ready to take on a world tour.

Well, my Ozark, which must be 7 to 8 years old, was made in Korea. That’s what the sticker on the back of the head says, anyway.
And with the modifications I listed, and all my playing, and the crack I put in the soundboard ( repaired ) I reckon it sounds better than the new ones.
So, if the price is right, go for it. They do improve with age.

What upgrades do you recommend to an inexpensive zouk?