Wall Street Journal “President Obama Visits Irish Ancestral Home”

Wall Street Journal “President Obama Visits Irish Ancestral Home”

See, we were wrong all along, it must be O’Bama

Perhaps I should have submitted this under the existing "Things you are expected to do when your famous" thread ?

Re: Wall Street Journal “President Obama Visits Irish Ancestral Home”

As related on Twitter from Moneygall, Co. Offaly:
Garda on loudspeaker "no alcohol allowed" crowd of 3000+ "noooooooooooo" Garda on loudspeaker "lads this is serious" #Obamavisit

Well I hope he enjoyed his Guinness…
First ’ real ’ drink he’s ever had I hear, lol.
jim,,,

; )

If Irish ancestry had been important to Osama Bin Laden in establishing his street cred among the Taliban or whoever, he would no doubt have found some too.

:-)

Hmmmmmm O’Sama, don’t get me started on them.

Were they the bad lot in the township?

They used to sneak bottles of porter out of the off-licence in their turbans. A bad lot altogether.

anybody know who the fiddler was?

The UK World Service (radio) broadcast a program about the Irish in America last night in connection with the visit. Included was an interview with Eileen Ivers, with a couple of blistering fiddle demonstrations to demoralise us all. It’s some way into the program but here’s the link http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p00gpj1k/Americana_23_05_2011/ (don’t know if that can be opened overseas, but it should be available somewhere being the World Service)

Pathetic spectical altogether- to see Obama visiting his `Ancestral home` in Offaly, bolloxing about with a hurling stick and discussing important issues like drinking Guinness with his tenth cousins.The pig is truly back in the parlour.

Posted by .

it was all about Irish America, it’s twisted and backward looking ideas about Eye-ur-land and re-election wasn’t it?

Posted .

Couldn’t agree more Professor and his jets will be welcome for refuelling at our airports next time he`s bombing the bejaysus out of the middle east.

Posted by .

Yeah, Prof., that;s about it. Pandering to the electorate. Ireland’s a nice, uncontroversial country, and who in America *doesn’t* like it?

Sadly, a lot of voters in my home country are basically morons and any reasonably bright presidential candidate (or sitting president) has realized the importance of appearing to be "a normal dude who drinks beer" in winning an election. Seeming like a normal dude who drinks beer is important criteria for many voters. I have been told by a good few folk who voted for Dubya that he seemed like "a good guy to have a beer with" and that’s why they voted for him. Why do you think they downplayed Obama’s career as a constitutional law professor? It makes him look like an intellectual elitist and that sort of image really did in John Kerry in the 2004 election.

A con law prof is exactly the sort of person I would want as the president, but I am in the minority who thinks the president should be someone smarter than I am.

In that BBC clip, Obama looked like a fun guy to have a beer with. These things are far more important in elections than trivial crap like the economy or foreign policy.

Yours truly,

A cynical expat

O’Bama. Now I get the ancestoral home part.