The mandolin in pop music

The mandolin in pop music

We don’t have enough to do in the office…

One of my colleagues who’s a ‘dance’ DJ (baseball cap turned backwards—you get the picture) and who dislikes traditional music was doing down the mandolin today. He has a Captain Corelli type idea of it.

I reminded him that the mandolin had featured in many pop hits over the years but I could only think of two off the top of my head: ‘Maggie May’ by Rod Stewart and ‘Losing My Religion’ by REM.

Can you think of any more?

Re: The mandolin in pop music

Have a look through Joe Browns back catalogue?
(as in Joe Brown and the Bruvvers)

I was reading an article yesterday about Jimmy Page using it in Led Zeppelin.

Steve Earl uses it also..
The Waterboys
Kate Bush
Jethro Tull
Paul McCarthy
The Smiths
Oh and
Mike Oldfield..on that Tubular Bells thingy.

K

Posted by .

Just wondering how modern these beat combo’s are that feature mandolins ? :-)

jacka lindisfarne

…and Ray Jackson was the bloke playing on Maggie May although Rod Stewart only managed to credit him as ‘the bloke from Lindisfarne’ at the time…

…and the recently deceased Bob Holness played the famous mandolin solo on Gerry Rafferty’s Baker Street.

mmmmm would you like to bet on that Yhaalhouse?

and Rod Stewart played the tin sandwich solo on Millie’s 1964 hit My Boy Lollipop…

Roy Castle was the secret trumpet player in Planxty…

Adolf Hitler played the Vibraphone for Neil Innes’s band or so he said. Neil that is not Hitler

It’s not very well known that Derek Bell (of the Chieftains) bowled a hat trick at the 1932 Oval test against the Sri Lankans…

Desmond Tutu & Lady Gaga rowed across the Irish Sea in a leaky boat this Christmas to avoid having to throw pots and whistle Max Bygraves favourites on the Hollyhead ferry…

I thought it was Viv’s band!

Bonzo Dog doo da band I think?

…and anyway haven’t you just done the Godwin’s Law thing (albeit rather laterally and inadvertantly)?

I bet there is a Neil Innes or Bonzo track with the eight string devil on it.

A law is a law but only for comedic effect ;-)

When I’m Dead And Gone" - "McGuiness Flint".

Posted by .

"I was reading an article yesterday about Jimmy Page using it in Led Zeppelin."

The Battle of Evermore. Maybe some other songs as well - I only know the one album well.

"We don’t have enough to do in the office…"

You don’t work in certain parts of the public service, do you by any chance, Amhrán?!!

Ouch, maybe that was a bit below the belt! :)

steve winwood.

There must be one or two trilling egg-slicer jobs in the Walls Cornetto song…

Tell him to listen at Chris Thile .He’ll soon eat his words!!

OK it’s a cover of the Snoop Dogg song (by The Gourds), but what a cover. Also goes to show that technical virtuosity gets trumped by enthusiasm nearly every dangitty time.

Joe …
enthusiasm? yes
technical virtuosity? :-/
Maybe in your pop mandolin dream world.

Dangitty-Ding-Dang!
Stick with chromatic shakies. The Gourds could do worse.
;)

Don’t forget Nigel Tufnel’s mando bit on Stone Henge.

Not forgetting REM, although I always reckoned he was out of tune.

tell this ‘dance’ DJ to stop wasting your time, his taste in music is so bad that there is little point in trying to get him to understand what a mandolin is.

The mandolin in pop music_2

Thanks everyone for a great listing. I’ll go back to battle well armed—when the office is quiet again.

Yes, hussar, I do work in the public service, but that was just an off day—I promise!

palethinboy, I think you may be right. He claims he’s involved in the more ‘serious’ dance music—not the stuff in the charts. To be fair, he’s also in a band that plays the stuff, although he doesn’t actually ‘play’—he does the spinning the turntables bit, presumably with his baseball cap reversed. I’m sounding very ancient here!

He’s also interested in ‘world music’ and has lots of downloaded recordings. But here’s the thing: he can play me any number of fantastic tracks from the remotest parts of the world, which is all well and good. I like to think that I love and appreciate the music of other cultures as well.

The point I make to him is that he has great world music on his doorstep (music that has also gone all around the globe) in the form of Irish traditional music but he thinks nothing of mocking it. He can’t quite see that it’s of the same value or of any value for that matter.

It’s a strange old world.

Re: The mandolin in pop music_2

well music is music & part of the beauty is that not everything will turn everyone on. but some people do have a slightly funny view of Trad music in that they won’t even try to enjoy it. however i’d say that there are plenty of Trad fans on hear who would consider Dance DJ’s to be of no use, so it works both ways really.

that does not read well……………….WE NEED AN EDIT BUTTON FOR JAYSUS SAKE!!!!!

What was wrong with the old discussion thread?

Posted by .

‘What was wrong with the old discussion thread?’

Would people still check back to it?

Everything needs mocking once in a while

Posted .

Good points palethin boy. It would be a funny old world if everybody liked the same thing. But, as you say, they don’t let themselves enjoy it.

I have another colleague who happily sings along to things from The X-Factor or from musicals like West Side Story but when something traditional/folk comes on he says things like: ‘Why does he close his eyes?’ or ‘Turn off that whining.’! The music is ignored. Mind you, he always refers to my mandolin as a banjo.

Maybe I just need to get a new workplace!

You could be right llig. Maybe I take life too seriously…

Maybe you need a new banjo

Posted .

"Mind you, he always refers to my mandolin as a banjo"

Get used to that as this will happen everywhere you go. Another thing you’ll have to suffer is people asking if you have a machine gun in your fiddle or mandolin case.
:-(

I’ve long since stopped worrying about what people think about my chosen instrument(s) and preferref genre of music. Thankfully, I’m now retired. So, the work place isn’t a problem anymore.

Thomas the Tank Engine played the mandolin solo in the Beatles Hey Jude and composed the theme wall paper to Eastenders on a wellripe marrow scrumped from Leon Trotsky’s garden kitchen et cetera et cetera et cetera et cetera…

"Another thing you’ll have to suffer is people asking if you have a machine gun in your fiddle or mandolin case…"

That would be in Central America, or Manchester.

Jack White of The White Stripes played mandolin for the film Cold Mountain,
Boyd Tinsley, violin player of the Dave Matthews Band has been using an electric mandolin since 2005…just to name a couple!

Jane’s Addiction use a mando— instead of guitar— in their cover of "Sympathy for the Devil" or their live debut. I’ve seen ‘em do it live, too— mighty fine.

This is more modern pop, but Taylor Swift uses mandolin heaps, so do Imagine Dragons.
Specifically Stay Stay Stay and It’s Time, both came out in the last year or so.

"Mind you, he always refers to my mandolin as a banjo"

I once got asked "Can you play duelling banjos on that ukulele?"

(to which the only answer is: sure, if you’ll bend over and squeal like a pig)

Here is the DJ joke:
Two "dance" DJs wishing to relax after a mentally exhausting night of putting records on and occasionally yelling into a microphone spied a 24-hour cinema across the street.
"Let’s go and watch a movie" says one.
"I dunno" says the other. "Who’s the projectionist?"

Posted by .