Technical advice requested since some here are of that persuasion

Technical advice requested since some here are of that persuasion

I am trying to find a piece of software that allows me to plug a digital piano into a computer and produce sheet music of what I am playing.

The purpose is to write out a backer piano part for a few pieces for a non Irish piano player who breaks out into cold sweats when asked to play by ear. Otherwise a superb musician.

I have a 64 bit system so can handle newer software. The digital keyboard is a dinosaur, but still has midi interface.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Re: Technical advice requested since some here are of that persuasion

Any old midi sequencer package should have a midi (what your paying on the electric "midi" keyboard) to score function. Bound to be a free one available.

"Bound to be a free one available." hence the request

http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/composer/

Works a treat. I use Sibelius, but I still use Noteworthy now and then. I have the earlier version, and it does the job.

I’ve not tried live scoring with it, but musescore (http://musescore.org/) is a pretty good bit of scoring software.

I’ve heard band in a box or cakewalk kind of do these sort of things…

apple garage band can also do this…

I am a little confused about the sequencer’s capabilities. I have used Audacity forever….but I need to convert alot of ppiano- bass and treble to dots. I am good the old fashioned way, but this would be time consuming.

Weejie- have you ever tried Finale? I have hear that Finale and Sibleius are the two most used, bu that there is a huge learning curve…and if your timing is not perfect, a person get’s som strange notations?

Yes, I use Finale (used to be called Print Music) which does what you want. Timing has to be fairly accurate, so that the programme knows what to print, but it’s easy to fix any mistakes once you get the hang of the interface, which is necessarily complex, if not complicated. You can also use a whistle or similar to input through a microphone.

Posted by .

"Weejie- have you ever tried Finale?"

I have, but couldn’t get on with it. It may be because I was trying both Finale and Sibelius, and started with the latter. Coming from Noteworthy, they were both very new, but they are quite different from each other too, and I could only get to grips with one of them.

Melody Assistant should do it. There is a free trial version but I don’t think you can save your work with that. http://www.myriad-online.com/en/index.htm

Thanks. i have some homework to do now

Melody assistant is about €30 to buy. I use it bfo translating between ABC, tabs and notation. But not to do what zippydw wan

I don’t know, but all music notation software that has playback, and I can’t think of a piece of software that doesn’t, will be able to produce sheet music from a midi file.

Audacity and reaper are available in fully functional free versions and I think they will do what you want. But there are learning curves

"Melody assistant is about €30 to buy. I use it bfo translating between ABC, tabs and notation. But not to do what zippydw wan"

I use a small usb music keyboard to type notation into Melody Assistant. The midi interface is there and may have to be configured but I don’t know about specific connections for other instruments.