Hamilton Low Whistles

Hamilton Low Whistles

Hi everyone, I’m just wondering if anyone here plays Hamilton’s Low whistles?
I posted a discussion not long ago asking what ones you’d recommend and now I’m asking specifically about these. First thing I notice is that the price is quite reasonable because a normal low whistle on it’s own is €150, but you can get the top of the whistle and then the bodies of D, C and Eb for €250! And that’s what I want to get so I won’t have to buy three of them.

So basically I’d like to know the pros and cons, etc, of these low whistles.

Thank you :)

Re: Hamilton Low Whistles

you get what you pay for

Posted .

I wasn’t too crazy about them, but I am not crazy about low D whistles. I found it had a good low growl on the bottom d, and the the upper register was smoother. Changing octaves was pretty easy. The control was good. It was in tune. Breath control was average. The reach was average. I really like the head piece.

Ask the question at chiff and fipple. There are more players with even more opinions than here.

http://www.chiffandfipple.com/

I remember a decent review of low whistles somewhere online, pictures and, from my experience, right on the button, akin to what pipersgrip has offered above, which is what reminded me of it. There’s probably a link at C&F… The Old Hamiltons had a design fault in the head that made them awful, leaky and noisy plumbing, but that has since been rectified…

I like them. Not as much as I like flutes. But I like them. Hammy’s lower priced instruments are great value.
Sometimes you get much more than you pay for. Go for it.

I’ve had a Hamilton for a year or so and am pretty comfortable with it. Not sure if it’s one of the older models; he’s switched from cork to plumbers’ tape at the joint, if I’m not mistaken.

I’ve had both a Susato and a Chieftains- the Susato is a bit more of a stretch, though nice on the slow numbers; and the Chieftain had a little too much chiff, though better air control.

I also prefer flute, though (whistle’s) good to grab when I don’t feel like getting one (a flute) out. Not sure I could get a C, (hands aren’t that big, so I’d be a bit limited), though I’ve thought about an Eb or F whistle.