Best System of Concertina for Songs

Best System of Concertina for Songs

I fancy accompanying some Irish Songs, any ideas about different Concertina systems.

Re: Best System of Concertina for Songs

Well personally speaking Kerryman, I prefer to use my Anglo for playing tunes & my English for accompanying singers.

I love the freedom I have with the English, to be able to play really long notes & chords, when necessary, without having to worry about running out of air.

Cheers,
Dick

I would have thought The Anglo would be ideal for bouncy songs.
Did Alistair Anderson make a record which contained some Irish tunes?

"Did Alistair Anderson make a record which contained some Irish tunes"

If he did, it was probably the English concertina …

http://www.alistairanderson.com/

@The Kerryman

I think that what Ptarmigan said above is true in general terms.

But the biggest factor is probably the player.

The Anglo concertina is single-action (different note in and out), whereas the English concertina is double-action (the same note in and out) - and of course, the fingering is different as well. And the Anglo has finger straps, whereas the English has thumb straps and finger rests

Both have the same superficial resemblance, but they are really very different instruments.

Have you actually tried playing either of these systems? If you do, you may well find that one system comes naturally to you, whereas the other does not. That should be an important factor in determining your choice.

The Anglo is the more popular of the two systems, and will usually be more expensive than an English concertina of equivalent quality.

Is your last sentence correct, Mix ? I’m amazed to read it. Perhaps for a Jeffries…..
But, anyway, there are some reasonable arguments for using the english, as opposed to the anglo-concertina, for accompaniment, as it is potentially fully chromatic, so you can play ( if you’re good at it unlike me ) in any key to suit your voice. On the older or cheaper instruments the buttons are coloured, the two outer rows being black, and these are either the flat or the sharp of the white button next to them, so you can play in the first four sharp or flattened keys - there are duplicate notes, a D sharp and an Eb in each octave. On the other hand the rhythm has to come from the fingers, not the bellows action as in the anglo.

Interesting.
Bellows movement can be used on The English, Morris tunes go slowly enough that many of the Anglo bellows changes can be emulated to give similiar rhythm to the Anglo, The same applies to Irish Marches, with Polkas changing bellows after every crotchet or paired quaver gives a more rhythmical effect, for jigs a mix of changing on the first beat of the bar and sometimes including the lead in note of the phrase and occasional change on fourth beat provides more rhythm without having to use so much finger attack.

Posted .