Best tunes to play with the D tin whistle?

Best tunes to play with the D tin whistle?

Hi everybody!
I’ve been playing the tin whislte for a while now, and I was wondering, which tunes do you think are best suited for that instrument?
I play a lot of songs that I like, but maybe there are some songs that every whislte player should know? Or maybe the ones you think sound especially nice on the whistle so I can try them out :)
Thank you!

Re: Best tunes to play with the D tin whistle?

Hi Malena, here people tend to distinguish between ‘tunes’ (melodies without lyrics) and ‘songs’ (with lyrics). If you are looking for some basic Irish tunes on whistle, there are a lot of nice simple jigs that suit the whistle nicely and that almost every whistle player will learn at some stage. Here are some of the tunes I started with in my early days of playing whistle:

Morrison’s Jig
http://www.thesession.org/tunes/71

East at Glendart
http://www.thesession.org/tunes/45

Saddle the Pony
http://www.thesession.org/tunes/307/

Garrett Barry’s Jig
http://www.thesession.org/tunes/544

The Rambling Pitchfork
http://www.thesession.org/tunes/89/

Oh yes, Morrison’s Jig! That looks easier on the whistle than the mandolin. Those twiddly bits are buggers to get right with a pick.

I’m learning the whistle when I’m too sore to play the mandolin. I’m finding it to be a good neighbor removal system. The high B I play on the whistle clears out the block.

Thanks for the suggestions!
I did mean tunes then, I didn’t know there was a difference between the two words hahaha thanks for clearing that out!

Any tune you like in the key of D.
Almost any tune you like in the key of G.
Almost any tune you like in the key of Em.
Many tunes you like in the key of A.

???

CleverName, you’re dumbing down dumbing down.

Posted .

Here are 50 tunes, a list first developed by thesession.org member ‘Dr. Dow,’ which are pretty common the world around. Some of them are a bit overplayed, or felt to be out of fashion, but generally, when they get played at a session, most everyone in the circle can join in. Learning them is a good place to start.
Reels: The Banshee [James McMahon], The Bird In The Bush, The Bucks Of Oranmore, The Concertina Reel, The Congress, Cooley’s (Luttrell’s Pass), The Cup Of Tea, Drowsy Maggie, Farewell To Ireland, Father Kelly’s (Rossmore Jetty), The Foxhunter’s, The Gravel Walks, The Maid Behind The Bar, The Merry Blacksmith, Miss McLeod’s, The Mountain Road [Michael Gorman], Rolling In The Ryegrass (The Shannon Breeze), Saint Anne’s, The Sally Gardens, The Silver Spear, The Star Of Munster, The Wise Maid (All Around The World).
Jigs: The Blackthorn Stick, The Blarney Pilgrim, The Cliffs Of Moher, The Connaughtman’s Rambles, Donnybrook Fair (The Joy Of My Life), The Irish Washerwoman, The Kesh, The Lark In The Morning, The Lilting Banshee, Morrison’s, My Darling Asleep, Out On The Ocean, The Rakes Of Kildare, Tripping Up The Stairs.
Hornpipes & Set Dances: The Boys Of Bluehill, Harvest Home, King Of The Fairies, Off To California, The Rights Of Man
Slip Jigs: The Foxhunter’s, The Kid On The Mountain.
Hop Jigs: The Butterfly, The Rocky Road To Dublin.
Slides: Merrily Kissed The Quaker’s Wife, The Road To Lisdoonvarna.
Polkas: Denis Murphy’s, Egan’s, John Ryan’s (The Keadue).

And don’t overlook the many slow airs, to which the whistle is eminently suited. Search Youtube for uilleann pipers — any pipe tune can be played on the whistle.

Posted by .

This thread reads like this:
‘I’ve been eating in Indian Restaurants for sometime now and was wondering what meals to order…’

And the replies are: ‘Lamb madras, chicken vindaloo, prawn dansak, tandoori chicken, rogon ghosht, chicken tikka masala, bhindi bhaji, tarka dhal, pillau rice, Peshawari nan, onion bhaji, cumcumber raita, saag aloo’

i.e. an exercise in the absolutely-bleeding-obvious!
Surely if you have a whistle (in the most appropriate key and have been playing for a time), why oh why would you need a list of tunes?!

I think some sorts of people just revel in list making for the sake of it.

"Oh yes, Morrison’s Jig! That looks easier on the whistle than the mandolin. Those twiddly bits are buggers to get right with a pick."

Going slightly off topic, but not entirely: I wonder whether ‘those twiddly bits’ you refer to, Mr. WhiteBread, are rolls. I say this, because, the way I play it, Morrison’s is not an especially difficult tune to play on mandolin (it was among the first Irish tunes I learned). The relevance of this to the topic is that there are are few tunes in the Irish tradition that are instrument-specific. There are certainly tunes that may sit more comfortably on one instrument than another; in particular, tunes composed by fiddle and accordion players are often awkward to play on flute, whistle etc., but the players will adapt them to their instrument. The same is true for plectrum instrument players - a roll can usually be replaced by a picked triplet or a simple melodic embellishment. This all highlights the importance of learning your repertoire by ear - you hear a tune, you play what you hear, or as near as dammit. Once you can pick up tunes by ear, there’s no need for a list - you learn the tunes you like the sound of (it’s nice to know the names of the tunes, I think, but you don’t need the name to learn the tune).

Hi,
Firs of all thanks for all the suggestions! :)
Just to clarify, I’m only asking because I’ve only once been in a session and I doubt I’ll be able to do it again in the near future. I haven’t listened to hundreds of records of Irish trad music, I only play the tunes of the few records I own. I’m pretty sure I’m missing out on a lot of great tunes to play on the whistle and all of the "must know" ones too!
Who knows, maybe one day I’ll be able to travel to Ireland and actually play a couple of tunes! hahaha
Thanks again for your help!

Well, yes, yhaalhouse, it is absolutely bleeding obvious to you now that you have been exposed to The Music for a few years. But it is not obvious to everyone, which is why those among us who have good manners pause to lend the newbies a helping hand.
Try to remember back when you were a naive young ukelele player, wandering into a pub session for the first time.

Feeding the hunger

Or the the days after you 1st feasted on something unlike anything you’d ever tasted within London.

Posted .