Best Tin Whistles

Best Tin Whistles

Hey I’m interesting what some of the Best Tin Whistles (High D) are.

I’ve been playing a New generation for years and I love it but sometimes its too quiet, so I bought a susato which is really loud but lacks the subtlety.

I’m thinking something like this….

Sharon Shannon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsdXrNo3-BE

Cheers

Kev

Posted by .

Re: Best Tin Whistles

sindt or grinter

Posted by .

Bear in mind that the SS clip is on a C whistle - looks like a Grinter.

Sindt whistles are great. Be prepared to wait though as John Sindt’s waiting list is very long! I have heard great things about Fred Rose whistles, Gene Milligan and Cillian O’Briain too. Enda

Posted by .

Oh dear, this topic goes up there with religion and politics… Check through the chiff and fipple forum archives.
http://forums.chiffandfipple.com/

In reality, everyone’s tastes are differrent so it’s best to try any and every whistle you can try and take it from there - there can also be big differences from one whistle to the next even of the same make. Good luck on your quest.

Yeah, it’s a bit like discussing which are the best fags (a conversation I stopped having at 8.05 pm on February 21 1978 as I hurled a nearly-full pack of 20 Embassy at the missus in disgust at myself and told her to bin ‘em. Fortunately, she (we?) got pregnant a few weeks later, just as I was weakening, and that restored my resolve).

I should at least have finished the packet, shouldn’t I?

I coudln’t be more pleased with any high D than I am with my burke whistle. You might like the session D. It’s quite loud. Very pure sounding whistle, very in tune, and plays very nicely.

Colin Goldie’s whistles are also very good, and he’ll make them to you specifications, if you know very specifically what you want.

Can’t go wrong with either!

Of course there are other options, but these are the two I am always playing.

Also, it wouldn’t hurt to pick up some of Jerry Freeman’s whistles, if you want something a bit sindt-ish. Don’t let the price fool you.. his bluebird is one of my favourite whistles, up there in ranking with my more expensive ones. And at that price, if you don’t like it, it wasn’t a huge waste.

I recall seeing where lunasa even uses freeman whistles in some of their recordings. They are good whistles.

If you plan on getting the sindt, it might be a good idea to buy a freeman to play with to carry you over the long waiting list! A lot of people like the mellow dogs more than the bluebird, but I haven’t played those.

Deerness Whistles - made in Northumberland. Various woods and silver; superb.

m.d.

Deerness Whistles are made in County Durham and are excellent.

Clarke—once you go tin, you never give in…

Let those without Sindt cast the first stone… know what I mean, sweet one?

And I wish to state that Shaw whistles are nothing to do with me - even though my little brother’s called Dave!

Hmm, never thought I’d see Shaw Whistles and "Best Tin Whistles" in the same thread, or am I being unkind?
:)

m.d.

Shaws are fine whistles!

Hehe… if they were in tune, more consistent in volume and intonation, and if they and had at least a hint of backpressure, I think Shaw whistles were quite decent ones…

That said, I really like mine, too! :)

As the saying goes….I loved my Shaw - - - ‘til I sat on it.
(this really happened to my now oblique C)

Damn. All these nice Shaw comments. You’re going to force me to lie about them…

Dia dhaoibh! Greetings all!

I play Generation Red tops and also have a couple of nice Feadóg whistles. I also have a very old Clarke which has a lovely soft voice.

Colin Goldie did make a gift of a beautiful low ‘F’ to me but unfortunately that got stolen : (

The link below shows an incredible chromatic whistle

http://joefago.com/SessionShoppe_StPatSale_Instruments.html

There is a player I know could cover all those holes, his fingers fly so fast so as to eventually hit some of the true notes in a tune; his nickname is ‘lightning’ on account that they never strike the same place twice!

All the best

Brian x

Which whistle is best? Truly it is all relative and dependent on what sounds favorable to the player / listener. It is important to remember that any given whistle will sound much different to the player than to the listener, It is good for a player to tape himself and listen to playbacks for a better idea of how a given whistle sounds. I own many different whistles and prefer specific whistles in a specific key for certain tunes. Much of my choice depends on what I am trying to emote in a given piece of music.

Sindt’s are highly prized whistles. To further expand onmwhat Enda Seery stated, John Sindt not only has a long waiting list for his fine whistles, he has "closed" his list regarding the acceptance of new orders. He is one gifted maker tring to keep up with incredible demand for his fine whistles. Those that have Sindt’s are truly fortunate. I have been searching for a Sindt in D and C for some time now to no avail. That changed yesterday when I was able to close a deal on Sindt’s in D/Eb/E, and C/C#, and two Sindt hybrids with Feadog and Generation bodies in D and C. It came down to vigilent search efforts and dumb luck (right place at the right time and seizing the opportunity.

Cayden

To add to my first post, think of it as "so many whistles, so little time". Play as many as you can and figure out which ones you like.

Be they low ender tubes like a Waltons, Feadog, etc., a mid- level like a Jerry Freeman (excellent whistles for the price), to high end instruments like Fred Rose, OZ, Swayne, Chris Abell, Ormiston, etc., all have their own charateristics, some being very special and an outright joy to play.

Then their are the Schultz Water Weasels and O’Riordan’s, ultra fine collectible whistles that just are not to be made again. Whatever examples exist are finite and that along with the outstanding craftsmanship of their makers raise them to the venerable status they have risen to.

Cayden

For me, the best high D whistle perhaps is a really good Generation… but you might have to try dozens of the things to find a really good one. Only a Generation sounds like a Generation, and for somebody like me who started playing Irish music in the 1970s when all the great players played Generations, that’s the way a whistle is supposed to sound.

Obviously somebody getting into Irish music today, listening to great players playing many different modern makes of whistle, isn’t going to have this built-in prejudice for the Generation sound.

I still play the Feadog (MK1) that I bought new around 1980, and for me it’s the best D which I’ve ever played at any price. Yes I’ve played sterling silver whistles and fancy wood whistles and all the rest, but I’ll stick with that Feadog. For more volume I have a Burke, when needed.

I would play a Generation instead of that Feadog if I had a really good one, but I don’t. I have a really good Generation C which is the best C whistle I’ve ever played.

As Richard D. Cook said, folks that have been wired to the historic sound of Trad can certainly appreciate the sound of a "good" Generation D. If Generation could make consistently "good" whistles on the order of some of the sole proprieter makers, while maintaining the mass manufactured related lower price, the whistle world would be turned upside down.

Jerry Freeman has built his business on tweaking mass produced whistles into sounding like those elusive "good" Generations that by some mysterious alignment of the planets find their way to some lucky recipient fresh off the conveyor belts of mass production.

The tonal qualities of whistles are subjective to the point that what I like might not be what someone else prefers. Certainly there are more refined or discerning ears when it comes to distinguishing what the majority of Trad enthusiasts would identify as being great whistle tone. Even among such staunch listeners, opinions will vary as to preferences ranging from "down and dirty" to "perfectly pure". Add to this that you can take the same whistle and have two players sit down and play thee same instrument back to back, and due to stylistic variation, there will be some variation to the sound created by the two on the same whistle.

For me, I just love the whistle for a number of reasons. The tone and consistent ability to maintain it while maintaining intonation is extremely important to the function of the instrument. Add to that the different materials of metal, wood, delrin, composites, or the combinations of these materials, and then consider the aesthetic presentation created by skillful craftsman, and there exists whistles that will endear themselves to those that choose to buy them.

We all know people who would never part with more than $10 for a whistle. There are also some that will part with large sums of money for that Copeland they have always wanted. Neither camp is right or wrong, it is strictly a matter of preference. As long as the common thread of ITM and the inclusion of whistle as a mainstay instrument of the genre is continued, the question of which tin whistle is best will remain largely academic.

Cayden

It would probably a good idea to get away from the guff that tweaked whistles sound (and play) like ‘perfect Generations’. They do not. Jerry Freeman’s whistles sound like different types of Freeman whistles. Cillian O’Briain whistles sound like COB whistles. Which is fine. They are what they are and not something else.

Posted .

I’m pretty sure Sharon is playing an O’Riordan in that clip. They’re wonderful whistles but hard to get since Pat O’Riordan passed away. Nothing plays quite like Pat’s whistles, unfortunately. The closest you would have found were Glen Schultz’s whistles but he’s not with us any more either. Perhaps see if you like Chris Abell’s whistles if you want the woody tone.

Speaking of a woody tone, I scored a Sweetheart high D on an auction for way cheap.
It is my favorite whistle, I like it better than my Burke.

Elaine T.,
The last I knew, Patrick O’ Riordan was still living among us mere mortals. Many of us are hopeful that you are wrong regarding Pat having passed. Does anyone know this definitively?

If so, the world has lost an incredible whistle maker. I cannot imagine that this would have gone unremarked. Patrick, we hope you are well.

Cayden

Prof Pryly… Prwyll… Pyllpwll… whatever is right.

My concept of a "good Generation" is a Generation which has sweet easy high notes, round full low notes, easy "action", and that certain rich Generation tone.

I’ve tried several Freeman Generations (in all the various keys) and his process changes the tone quality. Yes they play great, have great intonation, etc but the tone is different; there’s a "core" or something that’s missing.

I didn’t find that with his tweaked Feadog D, which plays and sounds almost exactly like my wonderful old Feadog MK1.

Cayden, I certainly hope you’re right about Patrick O’Riordan still being with us. It was unsettling to read that he is gone. I have a friend who plays his whistles & visits Pat regularly.

Posted .

Olivier Bouchard makes wonderful wooden topped brass whistles, highly recommended, i have several in different keys and they always get admiration.

Ben,
I posted the inquiry as a follow up to Mr. Gumby having inquired if anyone could confirm or deny Pat having passed. It seems to be a concensus on Chiff and Fipple that Pat is in fact alive and well. It seems someone may have assumed that because Pat no longer turns whistles that he has passed. Those of us that have O’ Riordan whistles are certainly the fortunate beneficiaries of Patrick and his incredible craftsmanship. May God Bless you Pat O’ Riordan and give you many more fine years.

Cayden

BurkeBbrass Session gets my vote, worth every penny (or dollar). By far the best D whistle in my collection.

Thanks, Cayden. Glad to hear I was mistaken about Pat! His whistles are spectacular. I have a friend who got a traveler set shortly before he stopped selling them and they’re lovely instruments.

sindt whistles have a lovely sound and are worth the wait. I have one and it has such a beautifull sound. but on the sindt whistles you need to blow your c natural soft as it is a slight bit sharp.