The pipes are not suitable for airs

The pipes are not suitable for airs

according to Neilidh Boyle, not my opinion, in fact I think they are more suited to airs than anything else
I like Boyles fiddle playing, although occasionally he as the same flaws as Sean MacGuire, I was curious as to other peoples opinions, on both his playing and his opinions

Posted .

Re: The pipes are not suitable for airs

Rubbish, I agree with Dick Miles.

Posted by .

He’s full of crap. The pipes are the best instrument of all for airs. Boyle should stick to his flashy reels in A and keep his yap shut.

When and where did he say that? Citation, please!

This is arrant nonsense and I expect Mr Boyle would know it. I believe his brother played war pipes, but that wouldn’t give him any reason to say something so nonsensical.

Posted by .

Maybe it’s a Personal Thing. After all, some people can’t stand piano-accordions, or believe that any sound that proceeds from the Highland bagpipes cannot by definition be music.

If they are players, perhaps it behoves them to bring the issue to a head in a Contest, or Dispute. They should there play their hearts out on an instrument they favour, airs or whatever else, and invite a champion of some offending instrument to do the same. This should go on turn and turn about for some time, free drink being lavished on a sizeable audience which will eventually be called upon to pass judgement.

Of course blocs of friends, relatives, accordion / fiddle / bagpiping groups might entrench themselves to influence the result, and be impervious to the persuasion of the music itself. I’m really not sure what can be done about this. Repeat the contest indefinitely, I suppose.

When and where did he say that? Citation, please!
He said it on one the few recordings he made,
DR SILVER SPEAR i suggest you buy a recording from custys music shop, i am sure you will enjoy his music, apart from the occasional sean maguire type extravagant flamboyances.
so silver spear, you now have your citation, he also referred to other recordings of his composition [the morning cloud] in a derogatory manner, there were mutterings about traditional music as it is played in 1953 as being jungle music

Posted .

The Moving Cloud.

could you get a little bit more precise with the source of the your information, thank you

Theirlandais, go to Custys web site, The cd is available there

Posted .

what track is it on, you obviously have the CD(s) don’t you ?

ONE of the recordings he made that I can buy from CUSTY’S music shop is not a citation, mate. Nor in any way useful. As Theirlandais suggested, could you be a little bit more precise, please. The point of a reference or citation is that it can be easily found buy a curious party without much hassle, i.e. the title, author, page number, publisher, publication date of a book.

Oh look Track 22 on CD2 is "Talk about bagpipes (Speech)"

would it be that by any chance ?

So here apparently is the full context of what was said

http://thesession.org/discussions/6093
"The bagpipes are all right for playing the reels and the jigs. But not so with the airs. It’s impossible for a piper, no matter how good he is, to play an air on the pipes because the pipes are not a perfect instrument. They are not adapted for air playing, but only for reels and jigs and marches, and fast music of that kind. I never yet heard a piper, playing an air, that had any effect on me. It seems to be a drone, a sad wail, without any expression. Not so with the fiddle. The fiddle can take out anything that’s wanted - if the player has the command and the power to do so, the fiddle will respond. But the pipes won’t - that’s what’s wrong."

I presume the use of the word Pipes refers to the Bagpipes throughout

I reckon that pipers are going to earn more than fiddlers regarding slow airs for Hollywood movie soundtracks.
I wonder why that is…..?

He’s entitled to his opinion, I suppose.

1. The D# first bar of moving cloud- fab!
2. Perhaps the fiddle is unsuitable for reels and the box cobblers for hornpipes.

Seasonal luv from yhaalhouse currently in Ards, Co Down of all places!

There is no accounting for taste. Why, I even heard somewhere that Seamis Ennis didn’t like bodhrans, if you can believe that.

I think Boyle’s passion for the sound of the fiddle, and his own fiddle playing in particular, blinded him (deafened him?) to other voices. And maybe he enjoyed just a little bit the role of the opinionated old curmudgeon, keeper of The True Faith, etc etc.

Who is Neilidh Boyle?

Posted by .

I presume the use of the word Pipes refers to the Bagpipes throughout".
The predominant system of pipes in Ireland is the THE UILLEANN, so i am not convinced by your assumption, I would presume uilleann, but he does not state which, perhaps he meant all systems of pipes?

Posted .

And the title of the track is "Talk about bagpipes (Speech)" and he was from Donegal, it was a BBC programme..
What’s required to convince you ?

by the way why do you keep shouting ?

"by the way why do you keep shouting ?"

Perhaps, like many, he believes that increased volume makes it more
commanding/authoritative/valid, as do many musicians with their interpretations
of tunes.

Do you suppose he is also speeding up?
;-)

Posted by .

Wait, they use the uilleann in Ireland? Dick you are a true genius, I learn something new every time.

Posted by .

So I guess we don’t know whether he was referring to the Highland pipes or the uilleann pipes? It’s not good to assume which he meant, if he didn’t specify.

For sure he speaks the truth when he talks of pipes (any sort) as being more musically limited than the violin. With pipes you can bend notes and play various sorts of vibrato and change tone colour by using various fingerings or changing whether the chanter is on or off the leg (and keep in mind that all of these things are possible on the Highland pipes too) but what you don’t have is a full range of dynamics like the violin and flute do.

And the expressive devices at the piper’s disposal are even more limited in traditional Highland piping, that is, the manner of playing piobaireachd which has come down to us through an unbroken line of master>pupil relationships, in which no notebending or vibrato is used (unlike nearly every other kind of piping).

So if we define an "air" as an inherently vocal piece, it’s obvious that an instrument which has musical capabilites closer to those of the human voice will be capable of a performance which recreates more of the nuances of the original vocal performance.

Nevertheless a good piobaireachd, well played, can be very expressive indeed despite the lack of most of the expressive devices available to the singer (and setting aside the debate whether what we call piobaireachd was originally derived from vocal or harp music).

Has the man never heard the pipes playing ‘The Flowers of the Forest’ or ‘The Mist covered mountains of Home’ or perhaps he just means Irish Airs. As for the uilleann pipes - who wouldn’t be moved by a rendition like this:- http://youtu.be/3-9UlTQ0P-M

"Nevertheless a good piobaireachd, well played, can be very expressive indeed…"

I found this out years ago when living in a farm hostel. Each of us was on a rota to be waker-upper in the mornings. Whoever was doing this job routinely attracted a barrage of catcalls and repartee from the other guys who, having trounced all notions of personal authority that the waker-upper might have been deluded enough to entertain, would jump out of bed and dress for work at the last possible moment.

On one particular occasion, my turn came up. I happened to have with me in the hostel an LP called Purely Piobaireachd, by Seumas MacNeill. I put it on the hostel record player and started it up at full volume.

This got them up with unparalleled speed. I laughed at their profuse imprecations, my personal authority - not to mention that of the estimable Mr. MacNeill - having passed this test with flying colours.

So yes, this piobaireachd was very expressive indeed. It expressed that staying in bed was not an option :-).

Start a discussion for the purpose of disagreeing with someone. Great craic.
I think I’ll play some tunes.

“The pipes are not suitable for airs”

This might actually be the title of a particularly mournful lament, occasioned by the pronouncement of some unconditionally respected panjandrum in the relevant worlds.

Hearing it, you would see the learner pipers emerging from the caves of the MacCrimmons and wending their way down the Inaccessible Pinnacle, sobbing their hearts out, heading for a Tesco to stack shelves in, never to return.

"The predominant system of pipes in Ireland is the THE UILLEANN"

But perhaps not in Donegal during the greater part of Boyle’s lifetime. The warpipes/GHB may well have been the more familiar form of pipes to him, especially since his own brother played them - so we might expect him to be referring to those, unless specifying otherwise. But, unless a recording emerges in which he specifies further, we cannot know for certain either way.

Néillidh Boyle Talk about bagpipes?

Dick Miles, are you referring to the following "Talk about bagpipes"? I haven’t heard the recording, so I cannot verify the accuracy of the quotation; or if it’s even from the track(s) listed below.
Néillidh Boyle
A Feeling in the Blood
Cairdeas na bhFidiléirí CNF007
CD 2 track 22 ~ Talk about bagpipes**
"The bagpipes are all right for playing the reels and the jigs. But not so with the airs. It’s impossible for a piper, no matter how good he is, to play an air on the pipes because the pipes are not a perfect instrument. They are not adapted for air playing, but only for reels and jigs and marches, and fast music of that kind. I never yet heard a piper, playing an air, that had any effect on me. It seems to be a drone, a sad wail, without any expression. Not so with the fiddle. The fiddle can take out anything that’s wanted - if the player has the command and the power to do so, the fiddle will respond. But the pipes won’t - that’s what’s wrong."
http://www.donegalfiddlemusic.ie/sound-11.htm

**also on Folktrax? {i.e. ~ FTX-170 - Neil Boyle: The Moving Clouds
111.Farewell to the Green Hills (talk before about bagpipes being inferior to the fiddle & sadness of emigrants leaving home)}
http://thesession.org/recordings/1472

CD1 track 20 "The Moving Clouds"
<http://www.mediafire.com/?njyyqicm24z>;
… Setting from the playing of Neilly Boyle
Posted by iTrad
http://thesession.org/tunes/1091#comment401649

Posted .

So, sounds like Mr Boyle was talking about Bagpipes, not Uilleann pipes, in which case, he makes a good point, imo.

I would have left it at that, but after having heard links of Mr Boyle’s fiddle playing, I think Moving Cloud sounds dreadful. I’ve no idea what kind of fiddle he was playing, but I think it sounds awful, in terms of tone, intonation … and he speeds up too. Listen to 01’34 then skip to 03’11.

btw, I’ve heard it all before.

Jim,

1. I don’t know which form of bagpipes he will have been talking about but Uilleann Pipes are bagpipes. Of course it is quite possible that he was referring to Highland Pipes. Whether you think any instrument is suited to a particular tune type or not is a matter of personal taste. I’m not sure why there needs to be such vitriol about it on here albeit that people may not agree with his opinion.

2. I would be very careful about criticising the tone, intonation and timing of one of the most respected standard bearers of Irish music unless you are 100% confident that you are in a position to do so.

Now now, I certainly see no reason to doubt Jim’s confidence. Or his consistency for that matter….

[*2. I would be very careful about criticising the tone, intonation and timing of one of the most respected standard bearers of Irish music unless you are 100% confident that you are in a position to do so.*]

No one, but no one, is above criticism. Having said that, I only posted a criticism of his tone, intonation, and timing - they are there for all to hear. I am 100% confident that I am in a position to do so. Are you?

I am not saying anything against the man himself.

There is no cause for alarm :)

"very careful about criticising "
Really?
Wow.

I also listened to the track.
I thought it was the worst, a miserable recording,
pure torture of a fine fiddle tune.

Not only that, I will say openly that I DISLIKED it.

I also listened to numerous other tracks of the same fiddler,
some of it very good stuff indeed,
and very much to my taste.

I am not shy about saying I LIKE those tracks, either.

Does that also bother you, Cause?

Too bad if it does as, sadly, I have not yet had that
"backbone-a-dectomy" required to be a true trad moonie,
and kow tow to all the right deities.

But you all go ahead.
Do not mind little me.
:-/

Posted by .

Neilly Boyle

I certainly wouldn’t mind hearing (reading) a comment or two from anyone who either has the CDs or has listened to other recordings by the fiddler in question. In the meantime, carry on.

Posted .

"Hearing it, you would see the learner pipers emerging from the caves of the MacCrimmons and wending their way down the Inaccessible Pinnacle, sobbing their hearts out, heading for a Tesco to stack shelves in, never to return."

Wending down the Inaccessible Pinnacle? This is how I got down.

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv30/uilleannpiper/InPin004_zpse43c2e22.jpg

To get the right feeling in the music, should I have wended?

On the subject of tone… Neilidh’s tone is interesting if you’re not used to it (and I’ll fess up, I don’t listen to that many old recordings, so I’m not), but tone is a social convention anyway, is it not?

I have a Folktrax recording, and I enjoy Boyle’s playing tremendously. It’s intense and passionate. A far more enriching auditory experience than 90% of the pitch-perfect pablum out there. There’s another track where he plays The Blackbird, replete with imitative bird calls of various species. It’s mad, but exhilarating. To use the visual arts analogy, I suppose it’s like comparing Vincent Van Gogh with a Thomas Kincaid. The Kincaids of the world are arguably better draughtsmen, but c’mon, theirs is a vacuous vision.

So, now that I’ve rushed to the artistic defense of Neilidh Boyle, I have to say: genius does not make someone infallible!

I’m not sure if he’s referring to piob mor or uilleann pipes. The recording was made in the 50s, so surely he was aware of Ennis, Clancy, Rowsome et al? Still, that was another time, and in Neilidh Boyle’s world, ‘pipes’ might have meant Highland pipes.

Richard Cook, I find your assessment very interesting, as someone who is in a position to to know.

"what you don’t have is a full range of dynamics like the violin and flute do"

Aye, but then how important is dynamic range in sean-nós singing?
Where do a fair percentage of "airs" originate?

I see that Mr Miles has posted this on the Mudcat.

and singers are not suitable for songs.

"I see that Mr Miles has posted this on the Mudcat."

The major challenge for the Internet in general is the Validity of Information, we’re only 16+ years into this adventure, imagine the situation in 30 years time.
It will probably all end in tears and the internet will drown and suffocate under it’s own (mis)information.

At that point however you will probably have to pay to have the assurance of having valid data.

meanwhile poor old Mr Boyle is getting dragged through the Mud as well.

To quote a Mr. John Doherty:

"In my house then of course there were bagpipes and fiddles. But they never liked the accordion. My father when he played the pipes would go outside and play a few marches and he would step up and down and him playing… If you heard him play on the Scotch pipes, it would bring your heart back."

Now this is marches of course, not "airs". Similar to the Boyle quote from above. Depends on your opinion as to whether marches fall into the same "fast music" category as jigs and reels. (http://thesession.org/discussions/31104#comment667357)

Source:
"The Northern fiddler: Irish traditional fiddle playing in Donegal and Tyrone 1977-79: an audiovisual exhibition"
Allen Feldman & Eamonn O’Doherty
http://www.itma.ie/digitallibrary/book/northern-fiddler/
p.12 of the images

Anyway, thought I’d add the view of another Donegal fiddler.

Posted by .

Donegal has always had a strong connection with Scotland, given that many people went "anonn" to pick potatoes and work in construction. The connection can be heard in its fiddling, the peoples surnames, as well as in its form of Gaelic, Donegal and Scottish Gaelic are very close. I heard Johnny Doherty mention in another video on youtube that his brother/uncle would walk down the road playing tunes on the pipes, the bagpipes. In music circles in Ireland, "bagpipes" nearly always refers to the war pipes, or the GH pipes.

Boyle was talking about the big pipes in my opinion.

Posted by .

….Whilst the uilleann pipes are, taxonomically speaking, bagpipes (i.e. they consist of pipes, with reeds, and a bag), they are very rarely referred to as such in Ireland. Uilleann pipes are most often referred to as ‘the pipes’, whilst ‘bagpipes’ is generally synonymous with ‘warpipes’ or ‘Great Highland Bagpipes’ - in my experience, at least.

While acknowledging that people often mean Highland pipes when they use the single word ‘bagpipes’ I find the usage irksome. As a player of Border pipes I often get asked the question ‘how are they different from the bagpipes?’ and then have to hold my tongue and refrain from saying ‘they are ******** bagpipes!’ Equally irksome is the use by pipers, who might know better, of ‘the/my uilleanns’, ‘the/my highlands’, ‘the/my borders’, ‘the/my Northumbrians’ when referring to a musical instrument. But then I’m easily irked.

Neilidh Boyle is entitled to his opinion. And I will continue to play airs on Border pipes.

Describing ‘bag’pipes as being wet or dry might be more appropriate, although that would probably just prompt more questions :)

Dick Miles, can I politely ask what you mean when you said about Mr Boyle : "occasionally he as the same flaws as Sean MacGuire" ? Did you mean in terms of sound quality, and all that goes into making the sound, or something different? Thanks.

Jings, I guess it’s what floats you boat, the:

"I never yet heard a piper, playing an air, that had any effect on me."

Christ on a bike, that boy needs to get out more, either that he’s a heart of stone.

Only twice in my life have I shed a tear for an air, both occasions the said airs were played on the GBFBP, the bag pipe. To say that a pipe can’t get the emotion due to the limited range of the chanter is kind of missing the point, play any note on any instrument, sound it for as long as you can, cleanly, without altering the slightest timber of it, the GBH (should that be GHB ;) ) the piper would out sound the lot of you, the pipers note can sound for as long as they have breath in their lungs or elbow grease in their elbow, that there is the very essence of the air.

I think Mr. Boyle was the first person to successfully play the fiddle using a wire brush.

At least I now realise Neilidh was not a girl.

Just been listening to it again. It’s a pity it’s such a bad recording, and I’d have liked to have heard it undistorted.

I loaded the file into Audacity, and you can clearly see the sound has been clipped to buggery - totally flat on the top and bottom of the waveform, and no dynamics at all. I’m sure it was down to whoever made the recording - Mr Boyle’s voice, just before the playing, comes out just fine.

Back to the general question of pipes, of any kind, and their suitability for airs - I’d personally have to agree that they could be suitable for airs, if played well. In the case of warpipes, the volume would be my only concern.

the recording was made in 1953by peter kennedy, boyle was reluctant to record but kennedy[whom i knew and who was a man with much charm,] persuaded him, but it was conditional that boyle was allowed to give his opinions on irish music and jungle music.
Kennedy had to record under very difficult conditions, boyle had no electricity and the recording had to be powered from kennedys van, boyles children gave the signal for boyle to start by sounding the car horn. personally i am very grateful kennedy was able to record, kennedy has been criticised many times and also by me, but no one else other than him could have done it, and fair play to him

Posted .

‘jungle music’? What are you referring to there, Mr. Miles?

The Northern Fiddler I referenced above quotes musicians talking about "the jazz music" :-)

Posted by .

I, among others, find the term ‘jungle music’ offensive, and even if one is repeating the same words as a source, I would suggest that there are some phrases that should not be repeated in polite company.

Calm doon, Al :) He probably meant ‘jingle music’.

I am calm, Jim. Just pointing out something that did not apparently occur to Mr. Miles.

I thought that too Al, in tis part of the world that phrase has a racial tinge.

I would have thought that it was obvious from the context that Dick meant whatever Neilidh Boyle meant. Searching on this site (hint: start with the recording I linked to above) will show that he was referring to the popular or commercial dance hall music of the time. Also that he played in a jazz band.

The world is a big place…

Yes I understand that context (jazz etc.), but I share Al’s discomfort with the terminology, as you say the world is a big place and what may seem an innocuous reference in one place may have a different meaning elsewhere.

So all the more reason to exercise caution, to be circumspect about meanings, rather than to react hastily.

I thought very hard about what I was saying, even considered a personal message Mr. Miles sent me on the subject after my first question, but in the end, decided the terminology he used should not stand without comment. I am not being hasty at all.

‘but tone is a social convention anyway, is it not?’

Fair play, AlBrown. I appreciate your plea for more care in how freely we use particular phrases, even when it’s in reference to what someone else spoke some years ago.
This is only speculation on my part. I wonder if Neil Boyle may have heard something in music which moved him, something beyond the confinements of any *genre*. For someone so outspoken I’m finding it difficult to locate precise citations of exactly what he did say. Seems like if I am to understand his desire for isolation & the social constructs of his tone I’ll need to buy the CDs & begin listening.

Posted .

I seem to recall myself using a term here at the session for Pakistani products, which I had no idea was really quite insulting. I thought it mere abreviation, and harmless.

I have no problem with any culture or origin, people are people, but I did not take the extra step before using the rude term for Pakistani, and make certain I had my meaning and usage right.

My bad all the way, and no excuses offered, and i apologised.
No whining.

Now, if I could make an error like that, perhaps others, some of them much wiser and smarter than me, could do the same. In the case of "jungle music", perhaps the man was being critical of the music with no intention of racial connections or slurs. So, rather than go in with guns ablazing, I will assume ignorance on his part and ask myself what he was trying to say, and how else he might have said it.
I was not there, and was not the one speaking with the man, of whom I know nothiing significant.

In another vein, I am pondering the need for "comment" on this posting of a
deceased fiddler’s uncomfortable words and choice of terminology.

No one here was using the term —-
it was, rather, used rather long ago
and only quoted here, not utilised.

I am wondering why it really "needed" comment at all.
Did it?
Am I also wrong if I am quoting some bigot or ignorant boor?

Kill the messenger, eh?
:-/

Posted by .

The expression that Boyle used seems to derive from the the use of the word "jungle" to imply danger and excitement in music. That seems to have been acceptable to Duke Ellington in the USA before WW2 and has been acceptable during the last couple of decades in the UK to the ‘drums and bass’ crowd.

I was not aware that it had been used differently in the USA in the 50’s and 60’s but Wikipedia has told me that, as it would have told Al and Boots about current acceptable uses elsewhere in the world.

It is a big world. If I turn up somewhere where a term is not acceptable then I appreciate it when people like Al quietly explain that before I upset people. But I don’t see why local sensitivities should override other uses in the rest of the world, especially when musicians and enthusiasts for their music are using it positively.

Hijacking of terms by racists is a common tactic. We don’t have to accept it - or propagate it.

David, Don’t believe everything you see on Wiki—I can say from personal experience that negative use of the phrase in question in the USA did not end in the ‘60’s. You make some good points about the phrase being used in different ways in different places, however. Myself, when quoting a source that make statements using points I do not agree with, or terminology that could be misconstrued, I always try to use quotation marks, and accompany the quote with my own thoughts on the issue.
But I agree with Toppish—enough of the metadiscussion. Toppish, what in the world is that thing the man is playing? Some sort of practice chanter with drones attached?

There was a thread somewhere (here or on C&F) about that instrument. See http://barnabybrown.info/

Yes, peace Al, and happy New Year to all.

I jumped to Dick’s defense partially because in the rest of that post (about the recording itself) he was taking care to play fair regarding a different issue.

It is difficult to discuss Boyles opinions without stating what he said, those are Boyles words not mine,.
I am not sure what he meant, I thought he might be referring to the state of irish trad music at the time he was recording, but I could have misunderstood what he was on about.
this raises another question, should the producer of the cd have edited the term "jungle music" out, if he had have done we would not be getting Boyles opinions as he stated them in 1953.
"jungle music" is not a term I would ever use, and I have not used it, Boyle used it.
If the term has caused offence I apologise, AND reiterate it is not a term I use or have ever used.
HAPPY NEW YEAR

Posted .

More here on triplepipes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRA047WUq6E

Fascinating instrument, I rather like it!
Thanks for posting that, Toppish.
(always learning something neat I never knew about here at the Mustard!)

Reminds me of some of the muti-pipe/flute beasties from Southast Asia.
Cool.

Posted by .

And happy new year to you, Dick. I just wanted to explain to you and everyone involved with the discussion that the term is considered an offensive one in my part of the world. And you have made it clear that you did not mean any offense.
And I have certainly learned something new—before today, I didn’t even know that ‘triplepipes’ existed.

And happy new year to you, Dick. I just wanted to explain to you and everyone involved with the discussion that the term is considered an offensive one in my part of the world. And you have made it clear that you did not mean any offense.
And I have certainly learned something new—before today, I didn’t even know that ‘triplepipes’ existed.