Éamon de Buitléar RIP

Éamon de Buitléar RIP

Founder member of Seán Ó Ríada’s Ceoltóirí Chualann (1960-1969), harmonica player, accordeon player, gaeilgeoir, writer, senator, film maker Éamon de Buitléar died yesterday, 27th January 2013, aged 83. He was a real link to a long-gone era in ITM.

RIP.

Re: Éamon de Buitléar RIP

I well recall as a teenager watching his weekly Irish wildlife programme, ‘Amuigh Faoin Speir’ - must have been on in the 1970s I think. It was quirky and very basic compared to the modern day wildlife extravanaganza. But it was about local wildlife and the Irish environment and unique for that. He certainly did the nation some service. It was only in more recent years that I learnt of his interest in the music. May he rest in a nice quiet spot.

Dick

Watch that first video and turn on ‘transcripts’!

David

Éamon was one of a kind, a huge influence on a generation of Irish people, and along with Gerrit van Gelderen was a pioneer in the field of nature and wildlife filming. He was also of course a musician and always came across as a warm humble person. Remember Lúdín Mac Lú ? Rest in peace Éamon.

Very sad to hear it.

His Ceoltóirí Laighean album "An Bóthar Cam" was the first recording of ITM that I ever bought, and still one of my favorites to this day. If everyone doesn’t already know, Gael-Linn has re-released both Ceoltóirí Laighean albums in a two-CD set called "Cnuas"; a smashing record to be sure.

Slán tamall Éamon and fare thee well.