2014 All Ireland Fleadh for Sligo

2014 All Ireland Fleadh for Sligo

Sligo has been chosen as the venue for the 2014 All Ireland Fleadh. Great music tradition in the county and region I’m sure they will do a great job. Something to look forward to.

Posted by .

Re: 2014 All Ireland Fleadh for Sligo

Would it be held in Sligo town?

? …
I thought the tradition was to hold the All Ireland in the same town for 3 years, then move it!
So how come Derry is only getting it for 1 year?

Fleadh Cheoil 2014 announcement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F46Lgqf1JVU

"So how come Derry is only getting it for 1 year?"
I dont think it’s necessarily a tradition to hold the Fleadh in the same centre three years on the trot……it’s more a question of convenience ( it takes a hell of a lot of work to put venues etc together and plan logistically) and sponsorship (Politics ;-) ).
I was under the impression though, that the venue for the Fleadh isn’t normally chosen until after this year’s one is over??? I see Ennis is applying for 2014, but if Derry does a good job and the price is right, you never know. In relation to Sligo, i agree there’s a great traditional scene there, but some of the best Fleadhs have been held in towns where there’s virtually no trad music played.

Hi all, there is no such tradition. Any town who wishes to host Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann must apply every year they wish to host it, so for example Cavan who recently had the fleadh three years in a row had to apply separately three times. Likewise Tullamore who hosted the Fleadh for three years before that bid to host it each year. Derry applied to host Fleadh 2013 but did not apply to host Fleadh 2014. The applicants this year were Sligo, Ennis and Drogheda, of which Sligo won the majority vote of the CCÉ Ardchomhairle and was therefore chosen to host the festival. Accordingly, if Sligo wish to host the Fleadh again in 2015 they will have to apply again and although they will obviously be at an advantage, there is no guarantee that they will succeed in their second bid. Also it is correct that in the past the decision regarding where Fleadh Cheoil Na hÉireann was to be hosted was usually taken in August, after the previous fleadh but this has changed in the last two years with Derry being announced as host of Fleadh 2013 in January 2012 and Sligo announced as host of Fleadh 2014 in January 2013. The right decision by far in my opinion! There is a fantastic tradition of music there and I’m sure they will put on a great show. Hope this has been helpful!

Very helpful John, well done Sligo!

i’m definitely excited for sligo! i can’t wait, :-).

Posted by .

The usual suspects, all ardent fleadh goers, from my neck of the woods (SE Ireland) are still unsure of the Derry trip. What is the general feeling on here???

whats to be unsure about, its a fleadh like any other

whats to be unsure about, its a fleadh like any other

And will ‘every pub’ in Derry welcome musicians with open arms ?

Delighted! Sligo is much more convenient than Derry. I thought Tullamore was a great location because it wasn’t too far from any other county. The poor musicians of Cork and Kerry traveling up to Derry!

.. & what about the …. " poor musicians of " Derry & Donegal, having to travel to Kerry for a Fleadh? ;-)

".. will ‘every pub’ in Derry welcome musicians with open arms ?"
Has there ever been a town which actually had EVERY Pub welcome Trad musicians with open arms?
Given the fact that Country music is far more popular, throughout Ireland, I think there are always going to be Pubs that stick to their usual music, to keep their regular customers happy. After all the Fleadh only happens once a year & usually only once in many years, in any one town.
I remember a Fleadh in the staunch little Nationalist village of Dunloy, Co. Antrim, where the only pub in the village actually refused to let the musicians play, in favour of R&R & Country Music for their regular customers.
Cheers,
Dick

dick, i didn’t find a single pub in cavan that didn’t welcome musicians with open arms. i know, because i was trying to find a friend of mine and had to walk through entire town and hit every pub. it only took me 3 or 4 hours. there was at least 1 session in every pub…

Posted by .