New Gangsta Rap Record featuring Mick O’Brien & Brendan Begley

Re: New Gangsta Rap Record featuring Mick O’Brien & Brendan Begley

Herbert Kornfeld lives!
That is the stone col’ dopest traditionizzle badass supastar beats. True dat.

Wow.

Posted by .

ohh dear…

"Support Da Session: Da Session be a non-profit endeavour. Yo Crazy-Ass donations help ta keep tha joint up n’ hustlin."

Posted by .

I think this is two months early.

what…. in the…………. never mind… I don’t want to know….

I’m sorry, but this is such a great website! Check out this review of the Gloaming.

"Martin Hayes n’ his newly convened compadres took a audacious leap of faith tha f**k into tha unknown - n’ up in dat leap, drew they crew tha f**k into a magnetic underghetto where light n’ dark, oldschool n’ freshly smoked up coalesced ta compellin effect….

Da Gloamin straight-up exploited tha rich sonic possibilitizzles which Thomas Bartlett’s piano, Dennis Cahill’s boombox n’ Caoimhín Ó Raghallaigh’s fiddlez brought ta tha party…. Da warmth of Ó Lionáird’s voice was immediately evident, as was tha show-stoppin impact of Vermont-born Bartlett’s lines on tha piano…

Da Gloaming’s newly forged joints was a revelation. I aint talkin’ bout chicken n’ gravy biatch fo’ realz. A renderin of Mike Hartnett’s Muince An Dreoilín/A Necklace of Wrens soared on tha back of Ó Lionáird’s dope Munsta Irish, as did tha deliciously rough-edged Samhradh…

Hayes n’ Ó Raghallaigh is two immensely differin fiddlaz but both is fearless up in they pursuit of vibe beatz. Drop dis like itz hot!

This was noize of a entirely different hue: neither slavishly traditionizzle nor wilfully contemporary, it sought up uncharted terrain (some of which was undoubtedly familiar) - and, most impressively, welcomed they crew as essential passengers on dat journey."

I particularly like "Hayes n’ Ó Raghallaigh is two immensely differin fiddlaz but both is fearless up in they pursuit of vibe beatz. Drop dis like itz hot!" - must remember to describe them like that when I see them in June.

Posted by .

What a relief it is to know this groundbreaking project won’t have even the slightest whiff of plastic shamrockery.

Shamrockizzle?

What’s with the ebonics and Snoop Dog - isms (-izzle - isms)? Can’t the initiator of the funding request just ask for help in plain, standard English? The disconnect between the high-flown arty ambitions of the project itself and the lowest-common-denominator trash culture that the sales pitch originates in could not be more jarring.

I wonder what prompted Mick, Aoife, Ciara, and the others to participate in such a thing? Would they have done so if they had known that the promotion of the project would be so amateurish? I’m no cultural nationalist and I can be critical of trad players who I think are being too limited in their artistic ambitions (if they have any at all), so I think the concept of the project may have merit. I’m not attacking the project! It may be wonderful, or at least thought-provoking.

But if I were Mick and I saw someone doing this with my name, my musical reputation, and my family’s name and musical reputation, I’d want to throttle the young 20-something pipsqueak responsible for it…

Hm, I think what caught my eye was the f—- s every 5 seconds. From what it looks like, that person has too good of a vocabulary to be doing that, even if they’re an atrocious speller. :-)

Even if "sean nós thug Breanndán Begley" is how he should always be described in future.

Posted by .

Very amused to discover some people thought this ‘gizoogled’ webpage translation was ‘fo’ real!’

As SmashTheWindows points out the real webpage is here

http://www.fundit.ie/project/the-string-quartet-music-of-dave-flynn

Was just having a bit of fun whilst trying to promote the ‘real’ project.

All the musicians have a good sense of humour and I know they’ll find it hilarious that some of you nice people got taken in by the Gangsta translation!!

Try gizoogle yourselves, it works particularly well on trad and classical websites.

http://www.gizoogle.net/tranzizzle.php

Posted .

Can’t help but wonder if your "bit of fun" persuaded more people to support your venture than it might have pissed off. What do you reckon ?

Posted by .

Really tempted to donate €750 for "Level 11 - Dave Flynn will perform an exclusive solo guitar concert for you in a venue of your choice. "

Posted by .

I just decided it was some sort of attempt at a joke and decided to ignore it.

Kenny, I think anyone who fell for that would be laughing at themselves right now, presuming they have sense of humour and humility.

Anyone who is actually pissed off with me because they fell for it really needs to lighten up, I mean REALLY!

Posted .

A) I had no idea you can put perfectly normal English into a "gangsta ebonics" translator, mainly because I think most people capable of programming such a thing HAVE BETTER THINGS TO DO WITH THEIR TIME.

B) Punk kids who admire gangsta culture and affect its speech patterns while trying to appear cool to their age peers are not all that unusual in trad circles - I’ve know a few.

C) Why would you do this to a perfectly worthy artistic endeavor unless you’re a bit of a tool and like upsetting people?

I think :fund:it is spelled incorrectly :)

@fidkid :-)

Let me put it another way, Dave. If you’re asking complete strangers to fund a project by donating up to 10,000 euros, you could perhaps get a better opening line than "My fucking name is Dave Flynn".
Best of luck, - honestly, and sincerely, - Kenny

Posted by .

Alas the translator has its limitations Kenny. After all, if I followed fidkid’s link above, I’d be presented with FAQs including "How tha f*** do I submit a tune?", "What tha f*** iz mah tunebook?" and the real gem,

"Transcribin slow airs is notoriously hard as f*** n’ frankly beyond tha scope of dis joint. For dat reason, Da Session is “limited” ta ride dirty tunes."

Posted by .

:) :) :)

Posted by .

Good to see some of the musos’ names up there too, in the funders section :)

It is very bad taste of a joke. U are showing yourself to have a high amount of racial prejudice.

U have no right to make fun of a people’s language, and as an Irish person, u should know better given our history and be ashamed.

If Jeremy is into editing threads, this would be a good one to erase.

Posted by .

"It is very bad taste of a joke."

Then your focus should be on the myriad of websites out there that offer such a translation service.

Posted by .

Your argument is flawed. Translation web pages are useful, ignoramus who uses the website as a means to poke fun of another culture is ignorant.

What does any of this have to do with Irish music?

Posted by .

I’m sure these musicians are so happy about u associating them with ignorance and racial prejudice.

Posted by .

Kook, I must be missing something. To what race of people are you referring? And what particular ‘culture’ are you talking about? I’m a qualified anthropologist and I just don’t see your point. There is no racism here!

Wow, I’m speechless

Posted by .

I wouldn’t worry too much about it. I think it was a pretty stupid way to attract attention - really it was. Some got the "joke" right away, others didn’t.

All that kind of daft and pointless sh*** happens a lot on rockethub.com too. Has done for years.

Enlighten us gobby. I’d love to hear more of your craic

Posted by .

My job is to worry about it. It needs to be erased

Posted by .

Is rocket hub about Irish music?

Posted by .

There is no joke here. Anyone that thinks there is a joke is ignorant

Posted by .

Kook, can I politely ask, what’s your problem with the OP? I haven’t seen any of your posts here, and your profile info tells me nothing about you. What pisses you off about it? The foul language? The perceived disrespect? The stupidity of the prose? The attempt at humour?

rockethub.com is similar to :fund:music . It’s not genre-specific. If you look on the site, you’ll find it could be someone / some band trying to getting attention for the Irish music they play, or for an up-and-coming post-modern industrial noise hip-hop-pikey polka band. Anything goes. Just to put a little bit of perspective on things :)

Mr dorans,
U cannot be serious. U are winding me up right?

Posted by .

"Mr dorans, U cannot be serious. U are winding me up right?"

I dunno, are U?

Posted by .

‘Enlighten us gobby. I’d love to hear more of your craic’.

I don’t quite understand what this means. But it’s you that keeps accusing everyone else of being ‘ignorant’, so it was your own enlightenment I was asking for. My point was that you can’t have racism with out a race (who are they), and what culture is it that in your opinion should take offence at the humour (and attemped humour) in this thread. I think you are getting your knickers in a knot over nothing.

Gobby if u are unaware of the cultural context of Ebonics and what culture it comes from, I’d say u should look into that.

Peace love unity

Posted by .

If I could care I would.

Kook, if you would simply explain your grievance in straight language, without fear of anything or anyone, that would be a good thing .

Yes, my last post was serious - it was not a wind-up.

I’ve already said (in not as many words), that the OP (original post, not necessarily the original poster) was too stupid to be : taken seriously, let alone be offensive. It was funny to some, and simply plain stupid to others.

Can I make it any clearer than that?

Kook,
Okay, I caved in and looked it up Ebonics. According to Wikipedia some claim that;
‘the use of the term does more to hinder black academic achievement than to help it, in that considering AAVE to be a completely different language from English serves only to widen the perceived divide between whites and blacks in the United States’.

I don’t want to argue with you about it as I don’t live in the USA, and I don’t know of your own personal experiences. Hence I will respect your point of view though I still maintain I don’t grasp it. In Australia we take the piss out of the way anybody and everybody speaks (especially the Kiwi’s). We call it humour. As a Pom I’ve had my fare share too.

It’s called a parody. I am not scared of anything Jim, just shocked that ye don’t know racial racism when it’s slapping u in the face.

I understand the person who did this may have not meant harm but it is offensive.

If an English group were to parody Gaelic language for the sake of recognition, u are telling me it would go unnoticed?

Posted by .

I have no grievance. I am not mad at anyone, just pointing out what I see.

God knows I’ve said things that had unintentional harm.

Posted by .

No problem, Kook. I understand what you’re saying. If there was racist content in the OP, I missed it, only because it was the stupidity of the advert that hit me first.

Just a bit of perspective - I live in the UK, and last week in the cinema, I saw the film ‘Django Unchained’. Whilst it was an excellent film, it was also a stark reminder of an horrific episode in American history.

I haven’t seen the movie but there are many grim instances in history everywhere in the world.

Making a parody of an oppressed people is wrong and like I said, I think it is sad that ye can’t see it as such.

Kudos for at least walking a meter in my moccasins.

Peace love unity respect

Posted by .

Kook, no problem with me either. I think we may just be looking at things through different cultural experiences. I detest any form of racism, sexism or bigitory of any kind, and I’m sure that even if I found your objection hard to grasp, that you have justification. If we met over a pint you could no doubt convince me in five minutes. Sorry and cheers!

Yeah, I really meant to spell it ‘bigotry’. Sorry folks but my brain is cooked. It’s so feckin hot over here that I was probably getting it mixed up with purgatory. The sweat is currently running right down my fur coat and into my steaming bowl of vindaloo.

Try putting the vindaloo in the freezer, and then eating it as an ice lolly. It works wonders.

how did this project not get funded? anyway, ebonics be coming from Irish, English and Welsh roots, fo shiz.