what exactly is midi

what exactly is midi

Obviously I have no computer skills. Ive yet to listen to one song on this site. Little help please.

Re: what exactly is midi

Strictly speaking, this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI

But in terms of the files here, it’s a way of turning the ABC into a "bare-bones" sound of the tune. You need the right browser though. Check the past discussions for "MIDI" and you’ll see whether your internet browser can play it or not.

That said, if you can cope with ABC/sheetmusic/recordings/learning from others at sessions, you don’t need MIDI.

it’s an analog to digital interface. I think MIDI might even stand for Musical Instrument Digital Interface or something like that. Basically, instead of the soundwaves that are created by a natural vibrating system, (like a string or an air column) MIDI will define an event for the beginning and one for the end of the note and the fundamental frequency of the tone. It differes from sampling in that way. MIDI information can then be processed so that any kind of instrument tone can be applied to the note in the same way we would apply a graphic texture to a 3D model.

anyway, this is a kinda rambling explaination, but its essentailly a standard for encoding music electronically. It also is an interface standard for device manufacturers

So midi is the player and abc is sheet music?

I see what you are asking now…yes, MIDI is a simple (and quick to download) sketch of what the tune sounds like. MIDI files don’t really have real swinging rhythm feel, but they get the idea across of what a tune sort of sounds like.

Thanks alot. Much appreciated.

MIDI is a standard for describing the note on and off events for a synthesizer as well as control signals like volume, expression, etc. It can also be use to exchange non-music event related data such as dumping a set of patches to/from a synthesizer and editor program.

A MIDI file certainly <could> have swing and lilt if it were recorded originally from someone playing the tune live on an instrument that could convert their performance dynamics into a MIDI data stream, for example a MIDI concertina or accordion where both the note, timing, bellows pressure, and button velocity are recorded. Unfortunately, that’s almost never the case.

The problem is that most of the MIDI files you find for traditional tunes on sites like this are generally programatically generated from ABC files and as a result for the most part are devoid of any human feel and lilt. They are at best a very minimalistic ghost of the tune, and would be my last choice as a resource for learning a tune.

MIDI is sheet music for computers.

MIDI files are sheet music for computers. MIDI itself is a telephone for computers and synthesizers.

Of course the sound with MIDI varies. You won’t have heard a commercial recording (and possibly not even a garage recording) made in the last decade or so that didn’t use MIDI in one way, shape or form. From synthesizers and drum machines down to starting and stopping the PC recording from a separate input device, it’s all done by MIDI.

The villain is ABC or notation to MIDI conversion software, not MIDI itself.

;-)

Don’t believe everything you hear here.

Posted .

I think, in the context of the OP, it could simply be said that in the tunes section, you have the choice of the written version of the tune, or conceivably, to hear it (the ABC converts to an audible format).
The problem is that it doesn’t work unless you are using certain browser(s).
So, if the OP has a problem understanding what MIDI is because nothing happens when the button is clicked, then "the villain" is the browser.

STW said that in the second post.

If you really want to hear the MIDI rendition of the ABC, then you can paste the ABC into one of several ABC players available, or use concertina.net.

Weejie: "or use concertina.net"

Sadly, not any more. Concertina.net’s webmaster has recently disabled Tune-O-Tron (the utility that generates the midi files).

"Concertina.net’s webmaster has recently disabled Tune-O-Tron (the utility that generates the midi files)."

Ouch!

Bugger - turns out the convert-a-matic midi thing is broke, still makes manuscript though :(

"Sadly, not any more. Concertina.net’s webmaster has recently disabled Tune-O-Tron (the utility that generates the midi files)."

Perhaps due to the number of requests from this site?

SmashTheWindows: "Perhaps due to the number of requests from this site?"

Smash: I had the same thought, and sent Jeremy an email about it.

But apparently not. It seems that the requests from session.org to concertina.net were specifically agreed between Jeremy and the webmaster of concertina.net.

So that cannot be the reason.

Good news that Convert-A-Matic is still OK. Nonetheless, (for WinXP/IE8 users), the auto-creation of midi files after clicking "Sheet Music" in session.org then "Midi File" in concertina.net no longer works.

Goldfrog: "concertina.net has disabled the Tune-O-Tron but the thing that does the ABC conversion is the Convert-A-Matic which is alive and well here"

http://www.concertina.net/tunes_convert.html

Not fully working though - I’ve just tried it. Sure, you do get the sheet music OK. But with Tune-O-Tron disabled, you don’t get the midi.

AbcMus, which reads and plays abc files, has an option to save the abc as a Midi file. AbcMus, unlike some other Abc/Midi players, can also be configured to put some swing into the playback if you want it. And change the key. And speed up, slow down. And the Help files are pretty good. And …

Re: concertina.net down?

Oh, I missed that. Seems that everything is alright again?