Mandolin bridge

Mandolin bridge

I have a Mandolin and the first G string buzzes when i play them.
Well, i know that’s probably because the strings are set too low.
When i first bought it i had the bridge half carved because i thought the strings were too high.
And now i have to stuff Paper inside the bridge to keep the strings up in balance.
Is that okay or is there any other way to do it? Oh and by the way, there are no mandolin players in this town so there are no chances for replacing a new bridge.

Re: Mandolin bridge

Alem, I really don’t see that there’s any way around this but to find somebody who can set up your mandolin properly. You can experiment all you like but if it’s set up by a pro, it will be 100% better than you can imagine. Send it away if you have to. It’s wasted time to be learning on a badly set up instrument.

Putting paper under the string won’t do any harm and it can be an effective quick fix - that is to say, it will get rid of fret buzz by moving the string further from the frets. But the way to get the lowest possible action without buzz is to have the frets perfectly levelled, and that’s something best left to an experienced luthier.

You don’t say where you live. There may not be any other mandolin players around, but there is probably someone nearby that works on guitars - although the measurements are different, the principle is the same.

If the action has been lowered by cutting deep grooves in the top of the bridge, you can fill the grooves with superglue and start again. If the bridge itself has been shaved down, you can glue ebony veneer to the feet of the bridge. You can usually find someone selling veneer offcuts for marquetry on Ebay. Standard veneers are 0.7mm thick, so it will raise the 12th fret action by 0.35mm, which is usually just enough to stop buzzes.

It’s not a mandolin player you need, but a luthier.
Or you can make your own.
I’ve been experimenting with Red-Henry-pattern bridges, on my ‘zouk, not a mandolin, for some time, and made a number of bridges that vastly improved the sound of my ‘zouk. Of course, I understand that some people are not good with their hands, but then you’re a musician already so you should be.
Or you could buy a new one from ebay, but make sure the height of it is a mm or two above that which you currently have.

And as Creadur pointed out, make sure that your bridge problem is not actually a fret problem