Guinness world record attempt for largest tin whistle ensemble

Guinness world record attempt for largest tin whistle ensemble

Hi folks,
Just getting the word out about an event taking place in Ennis, Co Clare on June 21st to coincide with the Gathering.
We’re calling on all you tin whistlers out there to come on board and take part in our Guinness world record attempt for the largest Tin Whistle ensemble.

Hopefully 2000+ tin whistlers will join Lúnasa for an open air performance of the siege of Ennis Polka that will feature as a highlight to a full day of music featuring a host of traditional acts including Lúnasa, The Kilfenora Ceili Band and many more to be announced.

Check out the video infomercial and tutorial below and see ye in Ennis on the 21st !!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQuMtHpqiAQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Re: Guinness world record attempt for largest tin whistle ensemble

A once-in-a-Generation opportunity.

Can I bring my calliope?

"The end of the world is nigh"

Just how large is the largest tin whistle?

I think I’ve seen a low C.

Hmm, that could very well mean 2000+ whistlers who will henceforth be permanently hard of hearing, not to mention the many thousands within earshot.

"I think I’ve seen a low C."

For a man with foot-long fingers?!?

Posted by .

Perhaps they should go up through the whistle sizes, as the recital progresses: D, Eb, F, high G.

Then, you will be able to hear it from space.

I wonder what the largest recorded number is of ‘Kwela’ players who’ve turned out together on any one occasion. Kwela is a South African township music which is often played on tin whistles - Generations and such, as far as I’m aware. Clips I’ve seen of it have sounded rather good. It’s the only tin whistle tradition I’ve so far come across that isn’t a part or a derivative of Irish or British traditional music.

Christ ! WHAT A HORRENDOUS IDEA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let the show Bergin.

Ah Tony, you’re Cotterning on.

Which reminds me, I once had a chance to learn the tin whistle…but I blew it.

David

Ennis is the best part of 300 miles ATCF from where I live, and tin whistles don’t produce really low frequency sounds (the ones that travel long distances), so it seems I shall be safe from hearing this event. Anyway, in the worst case scenario the sounds would mercifully get lost forever in the Welsh valleys on their way over.

I have checked out Kevin’s You Tube video. To my novice ear, this seems to be two tunes, the first in G and the second in D. Am I correct ? If so, what are their names ? From what I have found, The Siege of Ennis is a set dance, to which the tunes can vary ?

What Kevin presents is a 4-part tune in G, from what I can tell. He calls the tune The Siege of Ennis, although it also goes by the name of The Banks of Inverness and Salmon Tails Up the Water, among others. To further confuse things, the Siege of Ennis set is thought of as a jig set, around here anyway. I’d appreciate more knowledgeable people to weigh in here, as I’ve also been given to understand you can dance polkas to it, too. And the tune known in Clare as The Siege of Ennis is considered a polka, although it sounds to my ears to be a not-too-distant descendant of a march.

Anyway—my wife and our little one are planning on being there for this historic event! Does that make us unfit parents?