HELP unfair flute maker

HELP unfair flute maker

I recently bought two flutes of bamboozle flutes after being advised by not one but two very experienced flute teachers one who is a performer in connection with a very well known Irish musician .I ordered an Eb and an A and after trying them the Eb was lovely in sound and looks but the low A is nearly impossible to play . Open holed it sounds alright but going down it’s like solving a rubix cube to yet a to tone.So advised by people and in general "if you have a problem with a flute send it back" and I did the next day .I sent an email to the maker saying thanks but I’m returning the lowA flute and that I’d posted it only to get a response of it’s bot my fault it’s you and the teachers .My flute teacher is one of the best in Ireland by the way . The maker said hewould send back the flute to me which I have little use for when I paid an extra ten pounds postage !! Which is garble because it only cost 5 euro to get it to him !! Ǐoutraged as we are without 100 euro and minus a working flute ! Is there anything that can be done

Re: HELP unfair flute maker

Buying an instrument unseen is probably unwise. Discussing a purchase online really needs both sides of the story, otherwise its just your word to go on. If you’re a beginner, maybe the fault is not entirely on the suppliers side? Seems to me you’ve burned your bridges on the diplomatic front. Perhaps your teacher will play the role of intermediary?

Good advice from Backer. You could also ask them to check it themselves (although it shouldn’t have been sold in an unplayable condition).

Do you have an equivalent where you are, of the UK Sale of Goods Act? This covers all purchases, whether online or face-to-face. In the UK you could use this legislation to dispute that the flute is "Fit for purpose" - so I’m sure something similar would apply anywhere (I’d hope).

sometimes you just have to pay the shipping. Its only 5 euro more. Alot of merchants just have a single flat rate for shipping that they have worked out as the total cost of getting the thing to you. Businesses can’t lose a penny here and a penny there or they go out of business, so it doesn’t matter if you only needed 5 to ship to him, he might need 10 to ship to you after he’s packaged it and sent it off. All I’m saying is that I have freinds that do alot of online retailing and I’ve seen this same scenario from the other side numerous times. I doubt that the flute maker is trying to cheat you, he just needs 10 euro to ship you back the flute

I would be intermediate at flute but I couldn’t get a sound of it neither could my flute teacher. There wasn’t much more I could do but send it back

What exactly do you mean by "couldn’t get a sound of it"? If it was too big to fit your hands and therefore you are unable to play it, that is not the fault of the flute or the maker. If you can’t get a sound out of it, it’s not a flute.

Posted by .

theirlandais we sent it less than 24 hrs after receiving it. And gam my hands can fit it fine with a stretch and my flute teacher couldn’t get anything good out of it and it was worth sending it back

Re: HELP illegal flute maker

So now you need to work out how to apply the 97/7/EC European Directive

You can start by educating your supplier..

Consumers’ right of withdrawal: "The consumer may make a decision within a period of seven working days, without penalty and without giving a reason. The only charge that may be made to the consumer is the direct cost of returning the goods."

thanks so much . If the negotiations dont go well between that time with my flute teacher and him that will be the option. Is that 7 working after me receiving the product ? as it was posted yesterday and it arrived the day before that

unfortunately it says it does not apply for customised instruments is there any further steps i can take

So what is cumstomised about your order ?

Low A flutes are in the catalogue.

Where does it say that the law doesn’t apply to customised instruments?

Actually, you have more rights because you have been specific in your order.

Sorry, I don’t know how to put in a link, but ‘Jonathan’ posted a comment on March 20. 2012 (thesession.org/discussions/29572) saying that he’d just ordered a Bamboozle Flute and that he’d later write a review. I’ve not found his review, but it seems to me that as I came across this posting whileI was looking up Mr Bamboozle’s Google (so to speak), that you should be pointing out to this guy that it would cost him far more in bad publicity than he could rip you off for. I for one wouldn’t buy anything off him already. For a start, tell him how many members of ‘The Session’ there are. These guys rely on good reviews.

Here’s an idea! Send him a link to this thread and tell him to read it and that we are all waiting for his answer.

You should always get the full story before making judgement, one sided stories are generally great for the information they just happen to omit. I also think it would be better judgement by the buyer, to first explain that you have a problem with the instrument rather than an email saying that you have returned it.

Foremost, the guy is obliged by law. As for his side of the story, that’s why I made the obove suggestion.

I would not discuss this matter with the maker here publicly. Really.

The customization of the instrument was a polished finish which is optional .. the flute itself was already made with several other A,s , it wasnt as if i gave him specific dimensions only suitable to the likes of me. I have told him that there wasn’t much of chance of us getting a sound out of it for comfortable playing which is the purpose of buying it . The rest of his flutes i don’t have a problem with. They are beautifully crafted and have a gorgeous tone , so i cant see his harm in replacing 1 flute.

scutcher— in relation to " personalized goods " I fully think because it was made for you , you should have a product suitable for you . http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/distance_selling.html on the list of rights for being an online consumer it states refunding goods excludes items that are perishable and also if they are made specifically for the consumer . My flute was polished and this classifies as the " specific customization" but after researching he does make flutes polished before people ask for that option as-well as another finish

"I would not discuss this matter with the maker here publicly. Really."

Yes Magapop. I would agree with you in principle, but the fact is, as I realised when I Googled Bamoozle flutes and saw the very next link to Johnathan’s, comments on ‘The Session’, all this is already in the public domain, and I just reckon for the sake of reputation and good buisness it’s in the best interest of the dealer to explain. I agree with Theirlandais that we should hear both sides of the story, but as it stands, just based on this complaint, I would be hesitant of buying anything from this dealer (B.T.W. I wouldn’t anyway because I wouldn’t want a flute made of grass). So it’s only fair that the guy gets the right of reply. If I was him I’d already be in here, boots and all!

The OP’s issue is only in the public domain because he placed it there, rather than dealing with the dealer properly in the first place. If I was the dealer being discussed, a public forum like this is the last place I’d make my case!

Fair enough, Backer. Regardless of the OP’s questionable behaviour, like mentioning the maker at this point, the basic question seemed to be about returning policy - and with the maker joining in, this thread might become very controversial and confusing.

Of course, it’s up to Bamboozle to issue a statement (or not)… I was just saying that I wouldn’t try to put pressure on them by sending them a link to this thread and force them into discussion. Maybe this can still be solved more diplomatically.

I am no legal expert but I am pretty sure the law is on the side of the purchaser, in that he can return anything bought on line without having to give a reason, within a limited but adequate period.
If he doesn’t have a leg to stand on, of course, he could always buy one of Bamboozle’s walking-stick flutes.

Posted by .

Gam has a point, perhaps tinwhistler you’ve been trying to play a walking stick, before you send it back for the second time you should perhaps verify that point.

Megapop,
Yes, you are right! I was getting carried away.

With a name like bamboozle

Hi tinwhistler71,

It’s a ticklish situation for sure.
Firstly, if the flute does not suit, it seems reasonable that the maker should deliver on the promise of a suitable instrument.
Secondly, I find it a bit agressive for the maker to charge return postage. I would think that making good on a promise is the cost of the promiser.
Thirdly, I would point out that most isntrument makers are pennyless .. if they are in it for the money, they’d do better to make toilet paper or bread. This often stresses the instrument maker - and he might actually be too skint to afford the postage .. but the obligation remains none the less.

The way forward will become a disaster if you engage in agression - for both you and the maker.

I find it almost incomprehensible that the maker has not offered to adjust or replace the flute .. it just doesn’t fit in my understanding of instrument making .. do we have the whole story?

Instrument making is not an easy path to tread .. it can get extremely stressful trying to remain on the balanced path between faithful quality of service and economic survival. This is not what you’d call an industrial or commercial norm - if forebarance and understanding are not applied on both sides, it simply cannot be done. If ordinary commerce and industrial expectations are applied to an extraordinary service, then the opportunity to have instrument makers will evaporate - it’s just not worth the bother.

I’d advise you resort to good will.

Posted by .