tunable bohran v not tunable

tunable bohran v not tunable

I ended up giving away my bohran because during the summers it was unplayable due to humidity in western MA; even if I tried conditioning the skin over a fire pit, still didn’t work. Would a tunable bohran solve this problem or is a tunable bohran’s function only for changing pitch?

What is the difference in sound with a goat skin verses a synthetic top?

Re: tunable bohran v not tunable

Presumably it was slackened beyond remedy in the humidity. Had you tried leaving it in a non-permeable case with some silica gel when not in use ?
Pitch and slackness work in inverse proportion to each other, so a tunable one would solve this. Of course, you might just have been sold a badly made one to start with. What was it like in the winter ?
Never knowingly seen a synthetic top on one…..

A tunable bodhran is your answer.

"Would a tunable bodhran solve this problem or is a tunable bodhran’s function only for changing pitch? "
A tunable Bodhran is tuned by tightening or slackening the skin, which changes the pitch just as tightening a guitar string changes the pitch. Whether the skin is slack due to humidity or to loose fit is not really relevant; although the difference may be (barely) noticeable. As PB says above, a tunable bodhran will solve your problem, though the humidity/dryness should still be regulated as best as possible to avoid damage and prolong the life of the skin.

Posted by .

I’ve had a non ,tunable, old style cheaper bodhran now for over 15 years, its lived in ireland and been heated over fires, and here in the US, is mostly rubbed with a damp cloth as the skin tightens more, its got soaked and sloppy, but always comes good. It has some lovley tones. I’ve never done any special conditioning to it, but if you have an old style drum and want to do a bit of work on it, this is a video to watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euUSfb8LfMw I also have a tuneable bodhran, one of these more modern deep shells. you have to be careful to slacken off the skin, after plaing, as you will stretch it if the temperature rises on you. Its as much bother to me, tightening a ‘tunable’ bodhran , as heating or cooling to get the skin in shape,before playing. With either style of bodhran it probably comes down to the quality of the skin as to the durability and sound. I don’t really like synthetic skins, they are a bit dead sounding, and don’t have so many textures, but some but like that.

Thank you for all your advice. I did some more research and bought a Brendon White double skin 14X4. I chose the smaller size because I am a smaller person and figured I would have more control. Wish me luck. Everyone’s comments helped me with my first step in getting back into playing the bohran. Thanks.